Drummer_Boy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I came across a post that one of my friends had put on facebook today. He is about 20 years old and was raised in a christian home, but his actions suggest that he is not a christian in the slightest. I do not mean for that to sound like a judgement, I just said that so you have a small idea of what kind of person this post came from. I don't know exactly, and I could be wrong, but he may very well be atheist. 

Anyways, I am just wondering as to what your thoughts are on the post? In other words, what do you think is right or wrong about this post? 

I have not changed any words in the post, this is an exact copy from his facebook timeline. 

~HAPPINESS DOES NOT EXIST~
"All my life people have told me to do what makes me happy,that the pursuit of happiness is the most primal drive in every human being. But I wonder, has it ever struck you just exactly you are pursuing. How would you define happiness? What would that look like in your life. If your anything like me then that description would include a slue of the fantastic. Fancy house and fancy car after all who doesn't want success. Now lets pretend those materialistic things even did fulfil us, by that logic we would remain unhappy until the time that we attained that dream. And if those things we worked so hard for were ever taken away then we would become unhappy and be right back at the start. Based on the unpredictable nature of life I have concluded that happiness should not and absolutely must not depend on the physical world. I believe happiness does not exist, at least not in the way our society sells it. Happiness is an emotion categorized as the state of feeling happy. No human could possibly be at the same emotional level all the time and only feel one thing. So does that mean if I feel a different emotion then I am unhappy. I strive to be content, it is not an emotion but a state of mind, a different way of looking at life. Day after day I hear people say they desire happiness above all but continually focus on the negative. I can't control the world around me but I can control how I perceive it and what to focus on. So I say if you desire to be happy then simply choose to be,right now.But be prepared the battle over your own mind will be the hardest battle you will ever fight."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Drummer_Boy.

You say, "Happiness Does Not Exist".

Not so, for Gods Word indicates otherwise.

Gen 30:13 And Leah said, “Happy am I! For women have called me happy.” So she called his name Asher.

Deu 33:29 Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD.

1Ki 4:20 Judah and Israel were as many as the sand by the sea. They ate and drank and were happy.

1Ki 10:8 Happy are your men! Happy are your servants, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom!

2Ch 9:7 Happy are your wives! Happy are these your servants, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom!

I'm happy I've been plucked out of this world to live for God. I'm also happy my eternal resting place is with him. When times get tough I think about that.

I came across a post that one of my friends had put on facebook today. He is about 20 years old and was raised in a christian home, but his actions suggest that he is not a christian in the slightest. I do not mean for that to sound like a judgement, I just said that so you have a small idea of what kind of person this post came from. I don't know exactly, and I could be wrong, but he may very well be atheist. 

Anyways, I am just wondering as to what your thoughts are on the post? In other words, what do you think is right or wrong about this post? 

I have not changed any words in the post, this is an exact copy from his facebook timeline. 

"All my life people have told me to do what makes me happy,that the pursuit of happiness is the most primal drive in every human being. But I wonder, has it ever struck you just exactly you are pursuing. How would you define happiness? What would that look like in your life. If your anything like me then that description would include a slue of the fantastic. Fancy house and fancy car after all who doesn't want success. Now lets pretend those materialistic things even did fulfil us, by that logic we would remain unhappy until the time that we attained that dream. And if those things we worked so hard for were ever taken away then we would become unhappy and be right back at the start. Based on the unpredictable nature of life I have concluded that happiness should not and absolutely must not depend on the physical world. I believe happiness does not exist, at least not in the way our society sells it. Happiness is an emotion categorized as the state of feeling happy. No human could possibly be at the same emotional level all the time and only feel one thing. So does that mean if I feel a different emotion then I am unhappy. I strive to be content, it is not an emotion but a state of mind, a different way of looking at life. Day after day I hear people say they desire happiness above all but continually focus on the negative. I can't control the world around me but I can control how I perceive it and what to focus on. So I say if you desire to be happy then simply choose to be,right now.But be prepared the battle over your own mind will be the hardest battle you will ever fight."

Coming from a christian home, this is probably his way of rebelling. He's young and trying to show the world how wise he is. Unless he's an absolute idiot, some of that christian upbringing had to rub off. I wouldn't take his words to heart. In six months he'll be ranting something else. It wouldn't hurt to say a little prayer. Maybe ask the Lord to touch his heart. Who knows? With God, all things are possible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/23/1957

Coming from a christian home, this is probably his way of rebelling. He's young and trying to show the world how wise he is. Unless he's an absolute idiot, some of that christian upbringing had to rub off. I wouldn't take his words to heart. In six months he'll be ranting something else. It wouldn't hurt to say a little prayer. Maybe ask the Lord to touch his heart. Who knows? With God, all things are possible.

If we can be happy in what most would consider lousy, uncomfortable, and painful circumstances  by selfless-giving to others, maybe we can discover a world of endless joy and happiness>>>>>>>> perhaps we should consider the internal happiness of " That, that you do unto the least of my brethren so do you unto me".... I am still working on this myself as I come across those that are destitute either spiritually or financially...... maybe losing self in the pursuit of helping others is the path to eternal joy and happiness....ya know eye Love you my brother>>> the other "Lone Ranger"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,151
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Drummer,

I think it sounds like your friend is going through something at this time and letting it out the way he knows how...I don't know if I would dare to say he is not a Christian because he is looking for the meaning of happiness?If he is your friend as you say then why give him a call & ask if there is any way that you can help him...he seems troubled by what you read.Perhaps he does not have anyone he feels he can talk to,sounds like a plea for help to me.....

I know nothing about this young man or his family,just because people go to church every Sunday does that make it a Christian home?Who knows what this young man may be struggling with at this time in his life.....give him a call,say a prayer for him & let him know that happiness is not an unattainable fantasy but a very real state of being that can be obtained by having Jesus as Lord & Savior of your life....there is no greater happiness than the joy of the Lord........don't miss the ministry moments that the Lord puts in front of us....

With love,in Christ-Kwik

If we can be happy in what most would consider lousy, uncomfortable, and painful circumstances  by selfless-giving to others, maybe we can discover a world of endless joy and happiness>>>>>>>> perhaps we should consider the internal happiness of " That, that you do unto the least of my brethren so do you unto me".... I am still working on this myself as I come across those that are destitute either spiritually or financially...... maybe losing self in the pursuit of helping others is the path to eternal joy and happiness....ya know eye Love you my brother>>> the other "Lone Ranger"

This is true. It's the simplest form of true happiness. It's a happiness that comes from the heart. It has nothing to do with material things and everything to do with our attitude toward God and our fellow man. 

:horse:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

This is true. It's the simplest form of true happiness. It's a happiness that comes from the heart. It has nothing to do with material things and everything to do with our attitude toward God and our fellow man. 

:horse:

Right on man...happiness is to know the Savior :grin:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

Perhaps a chance to witness to him. Tell him what it is like to have joy in the Lord.