IGNORED

how many books exist in the catholic church's bible?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've recently been wondering about differences between the KJV and the catholic bible myself...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it's my understanding that the Catholic Bible uses the Septuagint manuscripts for the old testament which has several more books.   The translation I am told the translation itself is a bit different in places do to the translation differences that always arise.

My understanding that there was not an official canon back about the days of Jesus and the Greek speaking peoples took the Hebrew manuscripts that were in common use and translated them into Greek so most people could read them.      When the Jewish people decided to canonize the old testament they rejected several books   When the protestants broke away they took the Jewish Old Testament with the fewer books.

My understanding the New Testament is the same.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings jpett,

Welciome to Worthy! Yes,I do know......I was trained & educated by the Dorethean Order of Semi Cloysters,that was a long time ago but the answer is 73 Books.

With love,in Christ-Kwik

What is perplexing to me is why only 73?  I have a 1611 KJV Bible, and it has 80 books in it.  There are the 66 books of the canon, and 14 additional books in the Apocrypha.  I wonder why the more modern Catholic Bibles leave half of them out?