• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Hi guys,

I was just curious as to what some of your favorite paralells of Jesus in the Old and New Testament are.  Here is an example for those of you who don't follow.

Sampson  was a type of  Jesus

Miracle birth

Deliverer of his people

One was a Nazarene and one from Nazareth

A woman he loves betrays him (think about it)

Stood between two pillars(be creative) before he died one at the right hand and one at the left hand

Both prayed to God before they died

Bowed his head and he died

Sampson slew more men in his death than all of his life and Jesus saved more people in his death than he did during his life. 

I just love these so please share and if possible give texts so that we all can go over them.  A few great examples....Adam, Moses, Joseph.. well you get the point.  Thanks

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

One of my favorite types is one Jesus mentioned. When Moses raised the bronze serpent on the stake, as Jesus is raised on the cross. The incident with Moses is in Numbers 21.

5 And the people spoke against God and against Moses, Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no bread, neither is there any water. And our soul hates this light bread.
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people. And many people of Israel died.
7 And the people came to Moses and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you. Pray to the LORD that He take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said to Moses, Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole. And it shall be when everyone that is bitten, when he looks upon it, he shall live.
9 And Moses made a serpent of bronze, and put it upon a pole. And it happened that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked upon the serpent of brass, he lived.

Jesus mentions this in John 3.

14 But even as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up,
15 so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I split this into two posts to make it easier to read. 

Another favorite type is Genesis 22, where Abraham is all set to sacrifice his son.

1 nd it happened after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Behold me.
2 And He said, Take now your son, your only one, Isaac, whom you love. And go into the land of Moriah, and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will name to you.
3 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son. And he split the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up and went to the place of which God had told him.
4 Then on the third day, Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place afar off.
5 And Abraham said to his young men, You stay here with the ass. And I and the boy will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. And he took the fire in his hand, and a knife. And they both went together.
7 And Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, My father. And he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood. But where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering. So they both went together.

A reference to Jesus as the Lamb of God.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of. And Abraham built an altar there and laid the wood in order. And he bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.
11 And the Angel of Jehovah called to him from the heavens and said, Abraham! Abraham! And he said, Here am I.
12 And He said, Do not lay your hand on the lad, nor do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only one, from Me.
13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked. And, behold, a ram behind him was entangled in a thicket by its horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah Will See; so that it is said until this day, In the mount of Jehovah it will be seen.
15 And the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham out of the heavens the second time,
16 and said, I have sworn by Myself, says the LORD; because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only one;
17 that in blessing I will bless you, and in multiplying I will multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens, and as the sand which is upon the seashore. And your Seed shall possess the gate of His enemies.
18 And in your Seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.
19 Abraham returned to his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beer-sheba. And Abraham lived at Beer-sheba.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Here is one that interests me

luke 11:29,30

When the crowds were increasing, he began to say, “This generation is an evil generation. It seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah. For as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so will the Son of Man be to this generation."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

One of my favorite types is one Jesus mentioned. When Moses raised the bronze serpent on the stake, as Jesus is raised on the cross. The incident with Moses is in Numbers 21.

5 And the people spoke against God and against Moses, Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no bread, neither is there any water. And our soul hates this light bread.
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people. And many people of Israel died.
7 And the people came to Moses and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you. Pray to the LORD that He take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said to Moses, Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole. And it shall be when everyone that is bitten, when he looks upon it, he shall live.
9 And Moses made a serpent of bronze, and put it upon a pole. And it happened that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked upon the serpent of brass, he lived.

Jesus mentions this in John 3.

14 But even as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up,
15 so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The thing I like about this one is that the same thing that is going to be the death of the (serpent) is the same thing that will be their salvation if they believe.  The thing about it is that sin is very selfish, so believing wasn't so easy.  You have to stop paying attention to the pain and pay attention to the words of Moses.  I don't know why Jesus was represented by the serpent when it usually represents satan  but I would guess it's the fact that Christ took on sinful human flesh. great parallel

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

Joseph. I actually started a thread on this yesterday 

1) Joseph was beloved of his father

Jesus was God's "son, in whom He is well pleased"

2) Both Jesus and Joseph prophesied that they would one day rule. 

3) Both were accused of being "dreamers"

4) Joseph was sent by Jacob to "seek on he welfare" of his brothers.

Jesus was sent to his brethren

5) Joseph was hated of his brothers because he was more spiritual 

Jesus was hated by his brethren (the Jews) because of his spirituality (among other things)

6) Joseph was rejected by his brothers, and left to die.

The Jews rejected Jesus

7) Joseph was left for dead by his brothers, cast into a pit for 3 days, before rising out of the pit

Jesus was killed by his brethren, died and was buried before raising again after 3 days

8) Joseph was sold for silver to gentiles

Jesus was betrayed by Judas for silver, to the Roman guard, also gentiles

9) Both were stripped of their clothing

10) Joseph became a servant in Potiphar's (sp?) house

Jesus humbled himself and became a servant to humanity

11) Every thing Joseph did prospered

Jesus never failed and was fruitful in his ministry

12) Joseph was falsely accused

Jesus was falsely accused by 2 witnesses 

13) Joseph resisted temptation when Potiphar's wife came to him

Jesus resisted temptation when Satan tempted him

14) Joseph was cast in to prison, with another prisoner on either side

Jesus was put on the cross, with thieves on either side

15) Joseph prophesied one of the 2 would be delivered

Jesus told the thief that he would be in paradise

16) Joseph was raised from prison, and placed on the right hand of Pharaoh

Jesus was resurrected and took his place on the right hand of the Father

17) All who approached Pharaoh had to come through Joseph

We must approach God through Jesus

18) All people were commanded to bow to Joseph

"Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord..."

19) Pharaoh gave Joseph a gentile bride

God has given Jesus a gentile bride

20) Joseph was behind a veil, hidden from his brothers

Rom 11:25  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in
God has "hidden" Jesus from the Jews

21) Joseph commands his gentile wife to leave, and he reveals himself to his brothers.
Jesus will rapture his bride, and then reveal himself to his brethren, the Jews

22) Josephs brothers were scared when they saw who he was, but he told them not to fear, that it was all supposed to happen in order for him to save them.
Zec 12:10  ... and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. 

23) Joseph let his brothers go through tribulation when they thought that they would lose Benjamin
The Jews will go through tribulation

24) Joseph was left for dead in order to be able to save his brothers
Jesus died so that all could live in Him

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

Here is one that interests me

luke 11:29,30

When the crowds were increasing, he began to say, “This generation is an evil generation. It seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah. For as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so will the Son of Man be to this generation."

And Jonah was in the belly of the whale for 3 days, just as Jesus was in the "belly of the earth" for 3 days

I split this into two posts to make it easier to read. 

Another favorite type is Genesis 22, where Abraham is all set to sacrifice his son.

1 nd it happened after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Behold me.
2 And He said, Take now your son, your only one, Isaac, whom you love. And go into the land of Moriah, and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will name to you.
3 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son. And he split the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up and went to the place of which God had told him.
4 Then on the third day, Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place afar off.
5 And Abraham said to his young men, You stay here with the ass. And I and the boy will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. And he took the fire in his hand, and a knife. And they both went together.
7 And Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, My father. And he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood. But where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering. So they both went together.

My favourite :)

It's interesting AyinJade that God provided the sacrifice and all Abraham ( and Isaac ) needed to do was turn up in faith!  ( this is a subtle message to Rob sorry :D )

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

This is a great topic.  Almost thought it said 'parables' lol...  Then I was wondering why is he talking about Samson, rofl.  Sheesh my eyes- I have cataract surgery Jan 7- need some major prayer on that btw. :grin:

So many great ones but I guess the one that stands out to me is the Prodigal Son.  God was always portrayed to me as an almost sadistic being in hellfire and brimstone churches.  They taught me God was mean and cruel.  Thankfully I learned who God was for myself through the Bible.

Like a prodigal son I was also wayward and the greatest thing I ever found out was God is a loving Father waiting for us all with open arms.  All he ever wants is for us to come home.

The thing I like about this one is that the same thing that is going to be the death of the (serpent) is the same thing that will be their salvation if they believe.  The thing about it is that sin is very selfish, so believing wasn't so easy.  You have to stop paying attention to the pain and pay attention to the words of Moses.  I don't know why Jesus was represented by the serpent when it usually represents satan  but I would guess it's the fact that Christ took on sinful human flesh. great parallel

Yes this is an interesting question.

I sometimes think Jesus was mocking satan by healing with the snake on the pole. At the Cross Jesus defeated satan using satan's own tools. Irony.