IGNORED

Is the term 'soul mates' biblical?

Guest DRS81

I don't know myself. Your thoughts.

It is not biblical.  The Bible teaches no such thing.

I agree, but God finding people wives is biblical. What's the reason behind his hookups? ;) (The question, is God a matchmaker?)

Guest shiloh357

I don't know myself. Your thoughts.

It is not biblical.  The Bible teaches no such thing.

I agree, but God finding people wives is biblical. What's the reason behind his hookups? ;) (The question, is God a matchmaker?)

Yes there were marriages that God arranged (Isaac and Rebekah)  but you don't want to make a doctrine out of that.   Nothing in the Bible says that God has you pegged with someone at birth and that He has arranged for people to marry that person. God had reasons due to his plan for the Messianic line.   God is sovereign and can choose to do what He wants for reasons that in some cases are known only to Him.

One HUGE relationship myth is,   "there's someone for everyone."  That is simply not true.  People choose to either find someone or not.  It is possible for a person to simply not be desirable to anyone and remain single their whole life and just serve God.  The great hymnwriter Isaac Watts comes to mind.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

No,it is not biblical.The soulmate concept is often used as an excuse for divorce.What if you feel that you did not truly marry your soul mate?Then you get a divorce? If we give ourselves to God and seek His guidance,He promises to direct us Proverbs 3:5-6.A husband and a wife are soulmates in that they are "one flesh",spiritually,physically and emotionally united to each other.True soulmate oneness is only possible by implementing the biblical pattern of marriage.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Most marriages in bible times were arranged by parents. Paul gives instructions (probably to parents) to not mismatch a believer to a non believer. Otherwise, women in particular are to adapt themselves to their husbands and endeavor to fill in the areas where their husband lacks soas to be the helpmeet. As one preacher said, that way, between the two of you, your kids get one good parent.

So there is no such thing as a soul mate as used today. That is probably another way of saying you are attracted to each other and enjoy being in each others company. This is something that can quickly die as you learn the other person's faults and weaknesses. In reality you can learn to become a soul mate. You can be determined to bear with those faults. Love is commitment, not emotion. Emotions follow the commitment. We choose to love and we choose to forgive. We can learn new hobbies and interests to adapt to our husbands'. It does help to have some interests in common at the outset, such as both desiring Christ to be a big part of your marriage.

That being said, I thought hubby was an idiot when I first met him, as well as the second time, and the third time, but he was very persistant. I grew to like him and felt very comfortable with him. I could be myself. 50 years later he is my perfect soul mate. God has molded us together but it took time and effort for us to learn to become what the other needed. And he is still a bit of an idiot. By that I mean that he says and does goofy things that make life fun and never boring. I had to learn to lighten up and become more spontaneous to appreaciate that, so he was very good for me and balanced me. On the other hand he grew to be more like me as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I don't believe it is in the Bible.  However it is used when speaking of married couples.  My Steve was my "soul mate"   I also called him the love of my life.  He was everything I ever wanted in a man.  I was blessed for 25 years.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I don't believe soul mate is biblical at all. It is definitely romanticized.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with the concensus of responses, that it is not in the Bible.  1 man for every woman is in the Bible, and God hates divorce which one could theorize that there is a best "choice" for all of us, however due to how messed up the world is I think with all the divorce and bad things that happen in life, those best "choices" have to be altered to next best option.  Due to free will actions by humans in theory your spouse could die well before you ever met him/her, and therefore you might have the choice of being with "next best option".

In reality I feel the term Soulmates is a self-acknolwedged or self-fulfilling prophecy in that people simply reafffirm their commitment to someone by calling them their soul mate, when in fact those same people making that claim could end up divorced months, or years after making those statements.

I have been engaged twice, never married, and never met someone that I have said they are my soulmate.  One of them, even though I am with someone now, I still wonder sometimes as I strongly felt that that person was the one for me, still I am not with them any longer therefore could have been and I let them go, or not at all and I either have a hang up or I was just flat out wrong, or there is no such thing as soul mates. 

You really have to wonder when it says that in the Bible about 1 woman for every man etc. if that perfect spouse and the concept of a soul mate is really possible with free will, or perhaps choosing them is a free will choice, yet declaring a soul mate seems to be predestined or calvanist thinking.

Difficult.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I believe it possible for two people to be "perfect for each other", but the two don't necessarily treat each other perfectly.

Since marriage is important to God, I also believe that His path and plan for our lives would include whom He means for us to marry (unless someone is called to a life of separation unto God in that regard). Does He prepare people for each other? Well, my husband and I believe we were based on what we both went through before being brought together.

So, when it comes to looking for a man or a woman, it isn't about finding your "soul mate," it is about being sensitive to the Lord's leading. That is, choose in your heart to have this submitted to the Lord. Wait for Him to confirm to you who He means for you to marry. (I know this gets muddy, but this is the attitude to put on.)

But it is also important to prepare yourself for marriage by learning what makes the opposite sex tick, learning what their needs are as a man/woman, preparing yourself to be a loving and sacrificial husband or supportive and revering wife. My husband and I have lots of fun and affection because he has learned beforehand to support me emotionally and lay his desires down for me, and I have learned to walk under his headship and love his manhood. He lets me know I'm beautiful and I mean more than life to him, and I let him know that he's a stud and I desire him above all.

In summary, first "be" the right person for someone else, and then trust the Lord to direct you to the "right" person. (P.S. Don't develop a dating relationship with another person unless you believe God means you to develop the relationship towards marriage.)