• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Wrong again.

Asexual reproduction is vertical gene transfer (i.e. from parent cell to daughter cell). Horizontal (or lateral) gene transfer refers to mechanisms such as conjugation, transformation and transduction – where genes are acquired from sources other than the parent cell.

“Bacteria reproduce via a process called binary fission wherein the cell divides itself creating a genetically identical copy. When one cell becomes resistant, every "clone" thereafter is also immune”

You moved from the specifics of a description of binary fission to a vague description of the most important event in our discussion; “When one cell becomes resistant”. How does this occur?

The preponderance of evidence is that bacteria acquire antimicrobial resistance through horizontal gene transfer. That is, bacteria with resistance genes can share these genes with other bacteria (not restricted to the same species of bacteria); maybe through conjugation – directly copying the genes (on a plasmid vector) into a receiving bacteria using specialized pilli structures; or through transformation – the capacity of a bacteria to pick up genetic material directly from the environment; and more rarely through transduction – viral-mediated transfer of genes from one bacteria to another.

Common Ancestry is a model of the history of life based on inheritance. For example, the reason we share many genes with our siblings is because we inherited them from our parents. We share less (but still many) genes with our cousins because we inherited them through our grandparents. Common Ancestry extrapolates that concept to assume that we share genes with similar species because we inherited them through an ancestor species – and so-on, all the way back to a last universal common ancestor (LUCA). So any support for this model has to be based on observations of exclusive biological inheritance.

The capacity of bacteria to pass genes sideways renders them to be an illegitimate evidence for any inheritance-based model – not because they can’t inherit genes, but because the most prolific mechanism of genetic change is horizontal gene transfer. That is, because they can and do pass genes sideways, gene acquisition cannot be assumed to be inherited. Therefore the genetic change in bacteria does not provide support for a model based on inheritance; as it cannot be traced through inheritance.

No, you're wrong.

Asexual means non-sexual reproduction. Since bacteria do not mate they are asexual, they receive their genetic material from a single "parent" (I use this term for convenience, not in the true biological definition of a parent). Horizontal gene transfer is when an organism transfers it's genetic material to another that is not an offspring. Vertical gene transfer is from parent to child.

Anyone who is willing to slog through Tristen's post will notice a lot of technical jargon and large words. This is generally a tactic some people use to try and dazzle the reader and make it hard to figure out what is actually being said. You would think that on a public forum one would try and make their comments as reader friendly as possible. The reason some people do not is partly for the reason above and also because they don't really understand what they are posting. In academic circles this is called s Pseudo-Intellectual, a person who tries to impress with tons of large technical sounding language that doesn't actually say very much. The way to call this sort of behaviour out is to ask them a specific question like I did. Since they don't actually have much knowledge of the subject in which they speak they either don't answer or try to drown you in more jargon and endless repetition of the same points.

Luckily I have a masters degree in biology and a very high I.Q. to go with it, so I'll translate for anyone who cares:

In a nutshell:

Aside from actually confirming what I already said and not realizing it, he mentions how cells pass their immunity on to others via a process called "conjunction". This basically means cells touching each other. A nucleus is sort of a chamber that contains things like dna. Not all cells have a nucleus however so they contain their genetic material in the same membrane (the "shell") with everything else. Since bacteria are one of these non-nucleus cells they can pass their genes to one other merely by physical contact.

After this he is making a circular argument that changes can only be passed from parent to offspring, and we know this because changes can only be passed from parent to offspring. No supporting data is provided of course.

So Tristen I ask you once again, why do you think a nucleus and sexual reproduction are required for evolution to occur? And please post in plain speak so everyone on the forum can understand what is being said. It's the polite thing after all.

Well I’m glad you “have a masters degree in biology and a very high I.Q. to go with it”. I only have a meagre BSc. Here is what my textbooks teach;

Microbiology: An Introduction - Eleventh Edition (Tortura, Funke & Case) page 232.

“Vertical gene transfer occurs when a gene is passed from an organism to its offspring. Plants and animals transmit their genes by vertical transmission. Bacteria can pass their genes not only to their offspring, but also laterally, to other microbes of the same generation. This is known as horizontal gene transfer.”

Molecular Biology: Principles and Practice, 2012 (Cox, Doudna, O’Donnell) page 11.

“Gene flow between species can take place in a process called horizontal gene transfer. …

FIGURE 1-11 Horizontal Gene Transfer. Genetic material is transferred between organisms, especially bacteria, by several mechanisms. DNA may be taken up from the environment by transformation, transferred by viruses through transduction, or passed purposefully from one bacterium to another by conjugation.”

- From the Glossary of the same text (G-11)

horizontal gene transfer: Process by which an organism receives genetic information from another organism from which it is not a descendant.”

So to whose authority should I defer – the person on the internet with a self-professed “masters degree in biology and a very high I.Q”, or course-specific textbooks accumulated during my Science degree?

“Anyone who is willing to slog through Tristen's post will notice a lot of technical jargon and large words. This is generally a tactic some people use to try and dazzle the reader and make it hard to figure out what is actually being said”

And a tactic I’ve noticed with some opponents of my position is the tendency to present logically fallacious innuendo regarding my level of knowledge, strategic motivations and etiquette – rather than providing any rational account of their own position.

What you call “technical jargon”, I call correct terminology. And in the majority of cases, I have provided basic definitions of the terminology I used. Rather than patronise people, I assume that someone interested enough in the discussion has the capacity to investigate definitions for themselves if they don’t understand something – that’s what most of us with normal IQs do when we don’t understand something.

“The way to call this sort of behaviour out is to ask them a specific question like I did”

The problem with your question is that it was founded upon a combination of 2 logical fallacies: Begging the Question and Strawman misrepresentation.

- Begging the Question: because you required a response to a claim that I didn’t actually make. Strawman: because you proceeded to debunk my argument based on your own misrepresentation of my position. I didn’t answer your question because your question was premised on a false representation of my position. So I simply stated that your premise was wrong.

“Aside from actually confirming what I already said and not realizing it, he mentions how cells pass their immunity on to others via a process called "conjunction"”

Well aside from your Unsupported Assertion and Empty Innuendo (both logical fallacies) regarding my “confirming” your position, you have demonstrated an awareness of the process of conjugation. Therefore you are aware that gene flow in bacteria can occur apart from inheritance. Therefore, they cannot be considered a reliable example supporting any genetic inheritance model.

“After this he is making a circular argument that changes can only be passed from parent to offspring, and we know this because changes can only be passed from parent to offspring. No supporting data is provided of course.”

I don’t feel any obligation to provide “supporting data” for claims I haven’t made. Perhaps your translation skills could use some polishing.

“So Tristen I ask you once again, why do you think a nucleus and sexual reproduction are required for evolution to occur? And please post in plain speak …”

OK – Let me be clear. I don’t “think a nucleus and sexual reproduction are required for evolution to occur”. I never made such a claim. I hope this is plain enough “so everyone on the forum can understand what is being said.”

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1984

I also have “personally performed experiments evolving bacteria in a lab” specifically dealing with bacterial genetics. Anyone who researches bacteria should be aware that they are prokaryotic cells which engage in lateral gene transfer. It is this trait which makes them so useful in experiments pertaining to genetic manipulations. And it is this trait which logically disqualifies them from being used to support genetic-inheritance-based models such as Common Ancestry.

OK – Let me be clear. I don’t “think a nucleus and sexual reproduction are required for evolution to occur”. I never made such a claim. I hope this is plain enough “so everyone on the forum can understand what is being said.”

Oh for Pete's sake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria_and_creationism

http://myxo.css.msu.edu/lenski/pdf/2008,%20PNAS,%20Blount%20et%20al.pdf

For a person with a BSc you sure aren't up to date on the current research. Where did you get your degree? Bob Jones University?

I'm not going to play these games with you. Answer why you think prokaryotes cannot evolve despite the current research stating otherwise or I am not going to engage you anymore.

I also have “personally performed experiments evolving bacteria in a lab” specifically dealing with bacterial genetics. Anyone who researches bacteria should be aware that they are prokaryotic cells which engage in lateral gene transfer. It is this trait which makes them so useful in experiments pertaining to genetic manipulations. And it is this trait which logically disqualifies them from being used to support genetic-inheritance-based models such as Common Ancestry.

Oh for Pete's sake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria_and_creationism

http://myxo.css.msu.edu/lenski/pdf/2008,%20PNAS,%20Blount%20et%20al.pdf

For a person with a BSc you sure aren't up to date on the current research. Where did you get your degree? Bob Jones University?

I'm not going to play these games with you. Answer why you think prokaryotes cannot evolve despite the current research stating otherwise or I am not going to engage you anymore.

You said “Oh for Pete's sake.” Then you provided links to information about nylon digesting bacteria. I have studied these bacteria, as well as other evolutionary claims including the supposed evolution of citrate digesting bacteria (I am happy to discuss whether or not these qualify as evidence of Common Ancestry if you wish). I’m not sure why you included them in the context of our discussion.

“For a person with a BSc you sure aren't up to date on the current research. Where did you get your degree? Bob Jones University?”

Again, you simply present logical fallacies; Innuendo, Ad-hominem and Unsupported Assertion. Pointless – and technically irrational (ironic; given your username).

“I'm not going to play these games with you.”

I’m not playing games. I present rational argument and you respond with logical fallacy. Stop trying to one-up the conversation and present a rational position – and we’ll get along just fine.

“Answer why you think prokaryotes cannot evolve despite the current research stating otherwise or I am not going to engage you anymore”

I’m not sure how I can make this point any clearer – I NEVER CLAIMED THAT “prokaryotes cannot evolve”; PERIOD – NOT EVEN ONCE (capitals used for emphasis – not intimidation). Why is this so difficult for you to get your head around? I never made this claim – so you continuing to attribute it to me is becoming ridiculous. If you think I did make this claim, then please quote me so I can clarify what I meant.

So I am not going to provide justification for a position that I don’t hold and did not propose. Whether or not you continue to “engage” is your own decision.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Due to her continued demeaning attitude and personal attacks MrsRational will no longer be taking part in this thread.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

Due to her continued demeaning attitude and personal attacks MrsRational will no longer be taking part in this thread.

I'm not questioning your decision, that is your call to make......but I enjoyed reading the balance she brought to this discussion. She clearly is a well educated woman in this field and to those lurking, she gave us "the other side" to consider. As you know, for every debate, there are always two sides.

I can't possibly and don't plan on filling her void, so unless someone else steps up, this may end this thread.

PS has anyone thanked you recently Fez for the great service you provide here?

THANK YOU

PPS to MrsRationale, please take a deep breath and tone things down so that people like myself can continue to learn from your education and experiences. You know I am a fan of yours.

I was not personally offended by the comments of MrsRational. I am secure in my beliefs and position and am happy to have it scrutinized by anyone who disagrees with me. I feel that I am able to defend myself in light of any emotive arguments and am dissappointed that MrsRational is no longer able to participate in this discussion.

In the interest of clarifying my position, I would like to spell out more thoroughly why I think bacterial observations fail to qualify as evidence of Common Ancestry.

The ‘skin’ or outside of a cell is called a membrane. Inside the membrane (i.e. inside the cell) is referred to as the cytoplasm. The cells of eukaryotic organisms (all fungi, plants and animals) contain other structures in the cytoplasm (called organelles). One of those organelles is called a nucleus which is comprised of another membrane containing and protecting the DNA of the organism. The cells of prokaryotic organisms (namely; bacteria) have no nucleus, and therefore no membrane protecting their DNA. The DNA of bacteria exists unconstrained in the cytoplasm of the bacterial cell. This means that any ‘foreign’ DNA entering the bacterial cell can be readily integrated into the genome of the bacteria. So bacteria do not just inherit genes, but also accumulate them from other sources including; other bacteria, the environment and viruses. This non-inherited accumulation of genes is called horizontal gene transfer.

Common Ancestry is an inheritance model because it assumes that similar genes present in different species can be traced back, through inheritance, to an ancestor that both species have in common. Gene flow in all eukaryotic organisms occurs through inheritance – so can theoretically be traced back through a series of common ancestors. However since bacteria (prokaryotic cells) commonly engage in horizontal gene transfer, you cannot assume that any genes they have in common were inherited from a shared ancestor. Therefore, observed genetic changes in bacteria cannot logically speak to the plausibility of the Common Ancestry of all life on earth. That is because bacteria achieve most of their genetic change in a different manner (horizontally) than that proposed by Common Ancestry (vertically; through inheritance).

Now - This claim in no way speaks to the possibility of bacterial evolution – but to whether or not bacterial observations logically qualify as evidence of Common Ancestry. I argue that the answer is no – because there is no way to plausibly track the historical flow of bacterial genes.

To view it from another angle: The ability of bacteria to share discrete segments of genetic material laterally with other bacteria is an ability not possessed by eukaryotic organisms (i.e. fungi, plants and animals). Whilst some may be inclined to label those genetic changes as “evolution”, the specific mechanisms of change cannot be legitimately extrapolated beyond bacteria; and therefore cannot be applied to the Common Ancestry of all life.

Ultimately, Common Ancestry is a claim about all life on Earth (including eukaryotes). It is therefore not legitimate to simply note observations of bacterial genetic change – then label those changes as “evolution” - then simply pretend that we can apply those observations to all life on Earth.

Remebering that my initial proposal is that "There is no practical technology or discovery which is necessarily dependent upon the truth of Common Ancestry." So for the reasons discussed in my above argument, discoveries resulting from genetic manipulations of bacteria are in no way reliant upon Common Ancestry being true. They simply take advantage of traits unique to bacteria which make their genetic manipulations easier.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

I was not personally offended by the comments of MrsRational. I am secure in my beliefs and position and am happy to have it scrutinized by anyone who disagrees with me. I feel that I am able to defend myself in light of any emotive arguments and am dissappointed that MrsRational is no longer able to participate in this discussion.

Awesome post Tristan. Very gracious response and concern for your "adversary" here. (You know what I mean.) Awesome character quality indeed.

(Free Rationale). Lol

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Awesome post Tristan. Very gracious response and concern for your "adversary" here. (You know what I mean.) Awesome character quality indeed.

(Free Rationale). Lol

I agree Spock. MrsRational should tone down the insults, but it is nice to have more than one side presented on this subform. I too am impressed and pleased to see that Tristen could see beyond the rhetoric and enjoy the exchange.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

As far as bacteria go, it is true that at some point the specific means by which genetic material is transmitted is changed. That doesn't really change anything in a qualitative way I do not think. Saying that just because bacteria can evolve doesn't give us any clue to how anything else evolves wasn't the point of my examples anyway. The mechanism of evolution is the same on a small and large scale. Furthermore, these trees implicitly assume common descent, that is the guiding conceptual principle behind them. It is true, you can imagine away that part, or just decide it is a cute mathematical trick to form these charts, but that doesn't change the fact that they are highly suggestive of common ancestors linking the end products together.