IGNORED

az mulls bill permitting business from refusing service to gays

ayin jade

Guest shiloh357

I have to say your response troubles me greatly. Can I apply this same "does not apply to me" to the pasage befoer the one on divorce about lust?

I would assume you apply this cultural difference thing to Paul's writings and have no issue with female pastors? Is that correct?

Interesting spin on what I said.

I never said that Jesus words don't apply to us.   The point is that there was a particular cultural issue that it was speaking to.    Jesus doesnt approve of divorce any more now than He did before.

There are different realities about marriage and divorce that Jesus' statement doesn't speak to, though.   For example, should a woman remain with a man who is beating her and her child?? 

Jesus was addressing a specific problem and rabbinic excess.  Acknowledging that doesn't mean I am negating what Jesus said.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

What sort of a message is being sent to non-believers discriminate against people that are different than them?   I think that private businesses should be able to do this legally, but morally I think it is very wrong.

the question isnt about morality, but religious freedom-a private business should have the right, to refuse service with anyone they choose for any reason. Forcing them to do service with anyone they don't want to, is a sign of tyranny, and a hypocritical one-if the roles were switched, if a gay couple refused service to a christian couple, nothing would be said. Religious freedom is just that-freedom, and so is free enterprise. If a store refuses to do service with someone because it would violate their religious beliefs they should have the right to refuse it, and that person being refused can and should go elsewhere. Heck, even tell all their friends how poorly they were treated. My point is, morality shouldn't be legislated-if you think the store owner is morally wrong, then don't spend your hard earned dollars there, but don't force them to do things your way.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

I agree that mortality should not be legislated. So, what is your view on marijuana laws or prostitution being illegal?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I agree that mortality should not be legislated. So, what is your view on marijuana laws or prostitution being illegal?

The only morality that should be legislated is when it includes crimes against the person, property or the state. Therefore murder has to be illegal, so does theft, treason and so on.... but adultery is not.

When it comes to prostitution and the legalisation of marijuana, I'm fine with that, although I do not approve. However, in traditional Christian societies prostitution was kept away from mainstream society so as not corrupt others or influence children.

It's the same with homosexuality, It was legalised (which with hindsight led to a decline in moral values), but the real crime against God is the promotion of it, not the tolerance of it. The legalisation of it allows the sinners freedom to commit their acts behind closed doors without fear of persecution or prosecution, but when it is promoted such as 'gay' marriage or adoption, then it becomes a crime against the person (because it sends out the message that it is good or wholesome) or possibly against the morals of the state.

BTW, I'm guessing that you had a typo there. I'm assuming that you meant morality and not mortality.

Guest shiloh357

What do you mean morality should not be legislated???   We don't legislate anything except morality.   The whole purpose of laws is to prevent immoral people from imposing their immorality upon the rest of us.

Is it really necessary to introduce red herrings like MJ and prostitution into a thread over religious freedom?   Is it because you can't come up with a cogent argument pertaining to the OP??  Perhaps you need to starst a OP on the issues of MJ and prostitution.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

mortality is already legislated, everyone by law must be mortal. All immortals are banned from schools and other public areas. 

As far as to answer your question, lets go back to the constition, everyone has the right to pursue happiness. If what they are doing doesn't violate others rights to pursue happiness, then it shouldn't be legislated. Refusing service to someone else doesn't violate that right-that couple can go somewhere else and still have the same service done, thats an option.

Now lets look at prostitution. Keep in mind a lot of prostitutes are sex slaves-and I cant imagine theyre happy about it. And even the ones who arn't, many are in essence controlled by a pimp, not much better then slaves, again not happy. If said person was in the chosen job role by choice and happy there, then I see no legal reason for the government to get involved. I think its morally wrong, but if the person is their willingly and not controlling others then I have no legal issue with it.

Marijuana use Im on the fence about, havent decided I see a lot of arguments both ways about whether its like smoking cigarrettes, or whether it involves/hurts others.

WW...I agree 100% about what should be legislated, if is not harmful to others it should not be illegal. And if there is some questions about whether it is harmful, we should err on the side of personal freedom.

Guest shiloh357

WW...I agree 100% about what should be legislated, if is not harmful to others it should not be illegal. And if there is some questions about whether it is harmful, we should err on the side of personal freedom.

You don't thnk prositution is harmful to "others?"   How about the harm it does to the prostitute, and her clients??

Minus any harm based on a religious point of view what harm comes from well regulated prostitution?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Just a curiosity question.

There are some Christian groups which have proposed that blacks and whites should not get married. I am not sure what their biblical arguments have been. I know Bob Jones University which is a fundamentalist Christian college held that view for a long time. Given that is their religious belief, can a Christian who runs a one and only bakery in town, refuse to make a wedding cake for such a marriage?

For that matter, can the one and only bakery in town, refuse to made a wedding cake for a couple, one Christian and one agnostic?

There was a time in the U.S. when varying ethnic, religious or racial groups were banned from certain clubs, businesses, restaurants etc. The law changed so that one can not refuse a person service due to certain differences.

Does making a wedding cake endorse the marriage? Does providing a flower arrangement endorse the marriage?

Can a Christian owned clothing store, with an owner who does not believe women should wear pants, refuse to sell pants to a woman?