johz77

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

How do I know what to do bcos I see two different things in the bible. I see one from the Old Testament and another from the New Testament. Is the bible a book of contradictions?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

The Bible has 2 covenants, or testaments such as in a last will and testament. The old convenant was made with the Jews in Israel. The new covenant included all of us heathen from other countries as well.

So I come under the new covenant, the covenant of grace. That is why it is called the good news, which is what Gospel means. It tells us that the only way to come to God is through Jesus Christ. He came to reveal God the Father to us. He also is God in human flesh, God the Father's son, who existed before there was time. They, with the Holy Spirit, created everything that is. (John 1) Before Jesus was made flesh He was called the Word.

All covenants were ratified by the shedding of blood. So Jesus died on the cross, shedding His blood, so that our sins could be forgiven and we could be acceptable to His Father. His blood blots out our sins and ratifies the New Covenant. Jesus took the punishment that I deserve because the punishment for any imperfection (sin) is death. To become a Christian we must received the free gift of eternal life that God offers us. We just pray, ask God to forgive us, and recieve that the death of Jesus provides that forgiveness. We can't be good enough to merit eternal life. It is only offered as a free gift, purchased by Christ's blood. So we accept it by thanking Him.

God gives us a new life altogether when we receive Christ. It is a life born of God in which His Spirit comes to live in us to change our desires. We want to live lives that pleases God and to become more like Jesus. But we can only do that by the power of His Spirit living in us and changing us. So we read the New Testament in particular at first. It tells us to love God above all things, and to love and forgive others as He has loved and forgiven us.

The old testament said that we had to obey laws to gain God's approval. The new testament says that God loves us even though we don't deserve it, and that He receives all who receive Jesus and trust in Him.

So if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 NKJV

How do I know what to do because I see two different things in the bible.

I see one from the Old Testament and another from the New Testament.

Is the bible a book of contradictions?

~

Not

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

In A 

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Million Years

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. Mark 13:31

~

Some See Jesus In His First Testament

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Isaiah 53:7

Yet Some

And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: Acts 8:31-32

Don't

And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Psalms 29:11-12

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

The two above replies are good to go with,the question is good and the replies are great,John 1:17" says,for the law was given by moses,but Jesus came with grace and truth.Jesus came with a new covenant,like Hebrewr says,in that he said A new covenant he had made,the first old,now that which decayeth and waxth old is ready to vanish away.Hebrews 8:13.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

How do I know what to do bcos I see two different things in the bible. I see one from the Old Testament and another from the New Testament. Is the bible a book of contradictions?

I think Jesus new before hand not all Jews would accept the new covenant. The ones that did not decided to stay under the

old covenant and keep the old law. They continue to stay in the old law so when i read in the bible and it "says one jot or one tittle shall not pass til all is fulfilled." It makes me think this verse applies to them in that God just as easily could have said no its the new covenant or nothing. He chose not to say that and leave the old covenant and old law for them in place. And he made a new covenant with and for all ( church )who accepted him as the one and only true Son of God. With that new covenant we are free of the law that mankind can not fulfill anyway. I personally feel he did away with all the old law and the 10 commandments.

That said everyone of the 10 commandments are still listed some where in the new testament/new covenant for us to live by; its just not a list all together in one place like the ten commandments.

Matthew 22

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

38 This is the first and great commandment. 

39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Romans 13

8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 

9 For the commandments,

“You shall not commit adultery,”

“You shall not murder,”

“You shall not steal,”

“You shall not bear false witness,” 

“You shall not covet,” 

and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 

10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Eph 6:2

Honor thy father and mother    

Matt 19: 18

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,      

Matt 19: 19

Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.           

Matt 22: 36

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?   

Matt 22: 37

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.        

Matt 22: 38

This is the first and great commandment.            

Matt 22: 39

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mark 10: 19

Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Luke 10: 27

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Luke 10: 28

he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

John 13: 34

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  

John 14: 15

If ye love me, keep my commandments. 

John 15: 10

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15: 12

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15: 13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 15: 14

Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

John 15: 17

These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Romans 10:10

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

John 3:7

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Hebrews 10:16

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Romans 3:31

Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

1 Thessalonians 4:9

But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Romans 13:8,9,10

8 Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9  For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10  Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Colos 2: 16

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Mark 1: 27

And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

The issue is one of context. The Old Testament contains (among other things) a covenant between God and the nation of Israel. Christians however (both Jews and Gentiles), relate to God under a completely different covenant, and are therefore not obligated to the mandates of the Old Covenant (also called the Law, or Mosaic Law). This change of covenant (which now included the gentiles) was alluded to, and explicitly prophesied in the Old Testament (see Jeremiah 31:31-34), and is mentioned many, many times in the New Testament. Again, it's an issue of context. I, as a Christian, am not subject to the Law of Moses.

The old covenant was a national covenant. The nation of Israel would experience God’s favour depending on how well they adhered to the Law (a list of very specific rules (or works) pertaining to every aspect of life and national governance).

One purpose of the Law was to preserve the line of the Saviour of the world (Galatians 3:19). A basic premise of Christianity is that sin corrupts and destroys. The Law was necessary to protect God’s promise of a human Saviour through the line of Abraham and David from the destructive influences of sin.

However, the main purpose of the Law was to reveal the perfection and perfect standards of God; and subsequently by contrast, our irreconcilably depraved condition - thereby demonstrating our utter reliance upon God’s provision of a Saviour. According to the Apostle Paul, “the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.” (Galatians 3:24-25). So the Law has a role in salvation – but not after salvation. “For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe” (Galatians 3:21-22).

The Christian covenant is based on grace (unmerited favour from God), not law. Christians should understand that it is not possible for us to attain righteousness by our own actions – the very reason God sent us a Saviour. There are no laws, or list of rules under the Christian covenant.

However, Christian behaviour should trend towards righteousness because of the influence of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Paul calls the results of this influence the "fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:22-23). Christians follow the spirit of righteousness, as opposed to the letter of the law. Righteousness by grace is attained through faith, as opposed to our own efforts – so that we cannot ever boast to have earned God’s favour – and Christ gets all the glory for our salvation (Ephesians 2:4-9, Philippians 3:8-10).

Paul claims, “that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”(Galatians 3:11-12).  God has prepared good works for us to walk in (Ephesians 2:10), but any attempt to attain righteous by works (i.e. earn God’s favour) undermines the quality of the sacrifice of Christ. It implies that Christ’s blood is insufficient to complete our salvation. That is, if we remain obligated to earn some of our own righteousness, Christ’s sacrifice must not have been good enough to finish the job.

Yet Jesus has accomplished all that is necessary to qualify our salvation. Therefore He can make the offer; “28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30). And Paul says; “There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.” (Hebrews 4:9-10). Having sincerely surrendered ownership of our life to Christ, we no longer need to strive for righteousness by our own efforts – we can enter His rest.

One of the ways salvation is described in the Bible is reconciliation with God (see Romans 5:10-11, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19). The purpose of salvation is to restore us to our right place; in fellowship and relationship with God (as was the condition of Adam before the fall into sin). Our part in the New Covenant is to get to know God; to pursue fellowship with our loving Father.

Edited by Tristen

Our part in the New Covenant is to get to know God; to pursue fellowship with our loving Father.

:thumbsup:

Yes

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

Yes

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4

And

And ye shall perish among the heathen, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up.

And they that are left of you shall pine away in their iniquity in your enemies' lands; and also in the iniquities of their fathers shall they pine away with them.

If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;

And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:

Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.

The land also shall be left of them, and shall enjoy her sabbaths, while she lieth desolate without them: and they shall accept of the punishment of their iniquity: because, even because they despised my judgments, and because their soul abhorred my statutes.

And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God.

But I will for their sakes remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the heathen, that I might be their God: I am the LORD.

These are the statutes and judgments and laws, which the LORD made between him and the children of Israel in mount Sinai by the hand of Moses. Leviticus 26:38-46

Amen~!

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:

If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Jeremiah 31:31-36

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

So much truth in only 2 posts!. WOW!. Thank you Tristen and Joe. I can only proclaim: He is Risen! Hallelujah!

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

When you read commandments, you must consider to whom they are given. Noah was told to build an ark; the Church was not told that. Israel was told to sacrifice animals; the Church was not told that. Israel was given Laws (in the Law of Moses). To the Church were written letters! This is called dispensational interpretation; the principle that while all scripture is for us, not all scripture is TO us. There are over-riding, superior commandments valid for all men in all ages. Also, God's commands are hierarchical; superior commands trump lesser commands. Love God and love neighbor are the 2 superior commands to all others. These 2 commands are in the Old Testament. The Law of Moses was not over man until God gave it at Mt Sinai around 1500 BC. This law was in force during the ministry on earth by the Lord Jesus; He obeyed that law perfectly and enjoined its obedience by Israel when He was on earth. The Law did not end until the cross, where He nailed the commandments. Moreover, when the Lord Jesus was here, the imminent Kingdom of God was proclaimed: Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand. The Lord Jesus gave special commandments in force during His ministry -- see Matthew 10. Few if any Christians follow those rules today. The Lord Jesus began a new work with a new group to whom He also has given special instructions: that group is the Church. He said future tense, "I will build My Church." The Church began in Acts 2 with a new work of the Holy Spirit: baptism of the Holy Spirit. Today in the Church, all believers are indwelt with the Holy Spirit and to be filled and led by the Holy Spirit. That scripture of primary importance to the Church is the epistles (letters) which the Lord Jesus gave us through his apostles and prophets (Revelation is a letter to the Church also.) In Acts after Acts 2:1, there are things addressed to the Church. Thus the answer is rather simple: the commands to obey are those given to you, not to Noah or to Israel, except where those commands are part of God's non-dispensational, continuous will for all men or all believers. If you have not trusted Christ as your Savior, then scripture given to the Church is not directly given to you either! Your task is to trust Christ as Savior and become a member of the Body of Christ, His Church. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

It was posted: "everyone of the 10 commandments are still listed some where in the new testament"

Well, some of what we call "NT" is under the Law, as the Law did not end until the cross; nor was there a Church until Acts 2.

For $64,000 show me one verse where the Church is told to obey the Sabbath commandment (one of the 10); scripture after Acts 2.