IGNORED

Moses killed man Exodus 2:12. Why it is OK? Or maybe not OK?

ProzacR

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Kwik, help me out. Where does the Bible say that Moses had quite a temper? We do find evidence for it for Zipporah his wife who threw something at Moses' feet. Doesn't the word say that Moses was the most humble man?

Willimina,

Your opinion shared is that "But he did not wait on God to do it in God's wisdom and power. Instead he went about it in his own strength and wisdom, presumptiously, and got himself into trouble."

No doubt you have heard that said, and I think it has been often said, but

Where does the Bible say that?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Kwik, help me out. Where does the Bible say that Moses had quite a temper? We do find evidence for it for Zipporah his wife who threw something at Moses' feet. Doesn't the word say that Moses was the most humble man?

Moses killed a man in a fit of temper. 

Moses broke the tablets that had the 10 commandments in a fit of anger.

Moses didnt get to go into the promised land because he lost his temper and struck a rock. 

Moses exhibited quite a bit of anger. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/13/1976

I don't believe it was okay because he ran after he committed the crime.  This just shows that God can use anyone to do his will.  Just think about it....he used a murderer to free the Israelites from slavery.  Nothing is impossible for God!!

Edited by OneLight
Personal links go in ones Profile only, not in threads/posts.

You express what I think is a a common opinion:

"I don't believe it was okay because he ran after he committed the crime."

But how do you know it was a crime, instead of proper defense of the people of God as God's appointed deliverer? And how do you know that in the course of protecting the innocent, Moses did not have to kill the Egyptian or be killed himself by him?

Now what do you think of Hebrews 11? Heb 11 says:

"By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; choosing rather to share ill treatment with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; accounting the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt: for he looked to the recompense of reward. By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible."

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

heres the question-did moses run away because killing that egyptian was wrong in Gods eyes-or the egyptians eyes?  if what He did was good in Gods eyes but not the egyptians his running off was part of Gods plan to protect him from the egyptians. I dont recall in scripture anywhere that specified whether Moses was right or wrong in his actions there-just that he did it. Not necessarily expressing my opinion but merely a observation.

Jade expresses what I think is a common idea which has been put forth by some preachers:

"Moses killed a man in a fit of temper.

Moses broke the tablets that had the 10 commandments in a fit of anger.

Moses didnt get to go into the promised land because he lost his temper and struck a rock.

Moses exhibited quite a bit of anger."

The point about striking the rock the 2nd time is well-taken. He surely did get angry, having taken incredible guff off of the Children of Israel for so long, he evidently exploded at this point and spoiled the type: Christ smitten once for our sins needs not ever to be smitten again for them. Now we just have to "speak to the Rock" to be saved (in faith).

However, at the time he smote the rock, he had the divinely attested quality of being the meekest man on earth. Thus this one instance on one day cannot be used to characterize Moses. So that is hardly "quite a bit of anger," one instance in 40 years of enduring the most incredible opposition from the wicked. Moreover, it would have spoiled a type for Moses (who stands for the Law) to have led Israel across Jordan. Joshua, name same as Jesus, is the one to lead them into the promised land.

Now as to the rest of it:

You allege that "Moses killed a man in a fit of temper."

Where does the Bible say that he did that in a fit of temper?

You alleged that: "Moses broke the tablets that had the 10 commandments in a fit of anger."

Now where does the Bible say that he did this in a fit of anger?

Should we not put the best construction on his actions possible?

Now there was Israel sinfully playing before an idol. God had given Moses the 10 commandments. Could it be that Moses was afraid of God's judgment on Israel if he suddenly exposed them to God's Law? The Law condemns. Over and over when Israel sinned in the Wilderness, we see a man who was the most meek man on earth, interceding so that Israel might be spared God's wrath, even when it looks like God was ready to exercise wrath except for Moses' intercession. Does the text say "fit of anger"? Could it be compassion in view of the great danger of bringing God's law into the congregation at this time? Note that the Shekinah Glory hovered over the 10 commandments which were later in the Ark. But between God and His commandments is the blood of the Lord Jesus (symbolized by the blood of animal sacrifice sprinkled on the lid of the Ark, the Mercy Seat.

Until someone shows me in the Bible that Moses was characterized by a bad temper, I feel bound to obey the commandment: "Judge not" in the case of Moses, but recognize as you rightly pointed out that for a few moments at least out of 40 years, one day the most humble man in all the world (Moses) blew it. Thanks for bringing up that example.

Other one rightly observed "you are not innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of God he knows."

You are so right. God's Judgment has no resemblance to a Perry Mason trial.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

You alleged that: "Moses broke the tablets that had the 10 commandments in a fit of anger."

Now where does the Bible say that he did this in a fit of anger?

Should we not put the best construction on his actions possible?

I dont have the inclination to dig up everything, but I will at least do this much.

Exo 32:19  And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount. 

Exo 32:19  And it happened, as he came near to the camp and saw the calf and dances, the anger of Moses became hot, and he threw the tablets out of his hands, and broke them at the bottom of the mountain. 

The bible is clear that he broke the commandments in anger.

I do not believe in putting the best view on everything because that can distort what the bible says. 

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Atwood...

Sorry,I did not read your question until just now,,,,please don't think I was ignoring you........

I do believe that I needn't add to what my sister Jade said,,,,,she answered it just as I would have as we find in Scripture......I might even ad that in Numbers11:10-15 He even seemed to be angry with God !

Yes,Moses was the most humble of men but not meaning that he was meek or unassertive but that he did not think himself above anyone else,he was modest,respectful & above all submissive to God.............he did not think he was fit to lead Gods people

Moses received authority from the Great I Am & yet he never became proud,,,,in fact he rejoiced when God allowed other Isrealites to prophecy beside him

WHAT IS HUMILITY?

Humility involves freedom from arrogance or pride. A humble person does not view others as inferior to himself. Any imperfect human who is humble should also be modest, that is, aware of his limitations.

I do hope I answered your question,God Bless you & to God be the Glory!

With love-in Christ,Kwik