• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.46
  • Content Count:  44,323
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

By Joseph DeCaro, Worthy News Correspondent

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Worthy News)– Last month, a group of pastors and theologians called for an amicable split in the United Methodist Church over homosexuality, according to USA Today.

"We need to recognize the reality that we — laity, clergy and even the Council of Bishops — are divided and will remain divided," the group posted on the Goodnews.org forum. "Talk of a 'middle way' or of 'agreeing to disagree' is comforting and sounds Christ-like. However, such language only denies the reality we need to admit: Neither side will find 'agreeing to disagree' acceptable."

The posting came after 50 Texas pastors acknowledged a widening gulf between traditional Methodists and their clergy who have blessed or sanctioned same-sex marriage ceremonies in violation of that denomination's guidelines.

The Book of Discipline states that homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching in the Methodist church and forbids weddings and ceremonies celebrating same-sex unions.

"My bottom line is that The Book of Discipline has not changed in the 38 years I've been doing this and I'm pretty comfortable with where it is," said the Rev. Joe Jursa of the Satellite Beach United Methodist Church. "You do have people who get involved with politics, or who have their own ideas. I'm worrying more about marrying and burying my folks, not people with strange ideas."

More than 90 percent of Methodists believe their denomination shouldn't split over human sexuality, according to surveys conducted by Corporate Research and Research Now. Another 63 percent said the controversy over same-sex marriage was diverting the church from the more important issues of poverty and dwindling membership.

Mac McInnis — a 76-year-old who leads Bible study at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Indialantic — said he didn't have a problem with what same-sex couples did out of the church, but he wouldn't approve of the church sanctioning vows for them.

"If the church did that — then I'm not sure I would want to stay," said McInnis. "Marriage is between a man and a woman. Maybe it's my upbringing, but that's what I believe."

McInnis said that he hasn't heard any serious talk of splitting his denomination, but it wouldn't surprise him since the whole nation now seems to be divided.

View the full article

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

They should split. Why should true believers be stuck inside a false church?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

They should split. Why should true believers be stuck inside a false church?

I agree  :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/23/1971

I also agree!

Guest shiloh357

The true believers who reject same sex marriage should separate from from the reprobates.  Light has no fellowship with darkness.

• Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

The true believers who reject same sex marriage should separate from from the reprobates.  Light has no fellowship with darkness.

You know what will happen, don't you? true Christians will split from false churches and the secular world will scoff.

As a Christian I've already been accused of belonging to a false religion. "Why," I have been asked "if the Bible is the word of God, are there so many Christian denominations? You can't all be right?"

Of course, both you and I know the answer to this, so I'm not going to go there. That would be changing the subject.

My point is that, when churches start to separate even further, Anglicans and false Anglicans, Methodists and false Methodists, Baptists and false Baptists - the non-believers will mock us even more. They will see us as a divided house, proof in their eyes of a religion that is collapsing. They will love every minute of it. They will side with the false churches. They will side with the false Christianity, the Christianity that accepts homosexuality, preaches that there is no sin, and preaches that everybody, even unbelievers are saved.

We will be seen as the bigots and the haters because we have refused to modernise. The false churches will be lauded, be given money so that they can grow and preach their false scripture to the entire World. We will be persecuted.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I have some friends on the forefront of this kind of battle.

Some are Episcopalians, which did result in a split of the denomination in the U.S.

The other is a Methodist minister in the U.S. , who was celebrating the African Methodists who are blocking the majority liberal block in the U.S. from enacting a more liberal statement of faith in the United Methodist organization.

From what I see, both of these denominations in the U.S. have a majority of liberals, and the bible believers are in a minority in the U.S. It is the Africans who have the majority in both denominations and are bible believers, which keeps the international headquarters of each group with the older, more fundamental doctrines.  

I'm not sure there is an advantage to the split, as it leaves the few bible believing American churches on their own. At the same time, I think these kinds of splits are inevitable. It leaves the truly bible believing churches isolated in the U.S. as Africa is a long ways away, and unable to offer much support to the U.S. churches.

If nothing else, I see this as an indication that as far as evangelical/fundamental churches, the U.S. is shrinking, and in some sections of African, the church is growing. I think the churches in Europe have been shrinking. The Church in the mid-east is experiencing baby steps in growth, but compared to the past, in percentages, even 2 people professing Jesus is a huge step forward. I don't know much about the far east. China might be growing, but I think Korea might be shrinking and Japan is stagnant, with almost no believers.    

• Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

I have some friends on the forefront of this kind of battle.

Some are Episcopalians, which did result in a split of the denomination in the U.S. ...

They went back to Anglicanism, though as far as I know, North American Anglicans Churches haven't been officially recognized by the worldwide Anglican Communion that the Episcopal Church still belongs to, at least on paper if not in spirit.

Although the denomination is unique to the Communion, all Episcopalians are Anglicans.

Update:

Methodists propose churches go their own way on gay rights

"Hundreds of United Methodist pastors have signed a proposal aimed at avoiding a schism over homosexuality in a denomination that has, until recently, largely sat out the gay equality movement.

"The proposal, 'A Way Forward,' offers churches and regional bodies the option to make up their own minds on such issues as affirming gay clergy and same-sex marriage. United Methodist doctrine says 'the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.'

"Conservatives and some gay rights advocates immediately expressed skepticism about the model, which offers an unusual middle path at a time when full equality is considered a foregone conclusion to many Americans.

"But others said the proposal reflects a hope that the country’s second-largest Protestant denomination won’t let itself fall into multimillion-dollar litigation over church properties the way other faith group, including the Episcopal Church, have on this issue ..."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140607/NEWS02/140609415/Methodists-propose-churches-go-their-own-way-on-gay-rights

Guest shiloh357

You know what will happen, don't you? true Christians will split from false churches and the secular world will scoff.

As a Christian I've already been accused of belonging to a false religion. "Why," I have been asked "if the Bible is the word of God, are there so many Christian denominations? You can't all be right?"

Of course, both you and I know the answer to this, so I'm not going to go there. That would be changing the subject.

My point is that, when churches start to separate even further, Anglicans and false Anglicans, Methodists and false Methodists, Baptists and false Baptists - the non-believers will mock us even more. They will see us as a divided house, proof in their eyes of a religion that is collapsing. They will love every minute of it. They will side with the false churches. They will side with the false Christianity, the Christianity that accepts homosexuality, preaches that there is no sin, and preaches that everybody, even unbelievers are saved.

We will be seen as the bigots and the haters because we have refused to modernise. The false churches will be lauded, be given money so that they can grow and preach their false scripture to the entire World. We will be persecuted.

Let them scoff.  We are called to be separate and holy apart from the world. 

The truth is that Christianity is collapsing from within.  We have deviated from the Bible and have allowed science, philosophy and other religions to hi-jack the interpretation of Scripture.  We have allowed Hollywood, homosexuals and other societal sleaze to force the church to conform to what society deems as right.

We have given more and more ground trying to be "respectable" in the eyes of the world and we no longer fear God.   We now have a form of Christianity that doesn't have Christ in it.  We have form and ceremony and creeds and no glory, no power, nothing.  We have powerless, dead churches and we have allowed the culture to define Christianity and dictate to us what we can and cannot believe.

It is very much a problem in Europe and it is getting worse in the US.  The US is where countries like Denmark were 30 years ago.  If the current trend continues, Christianity as we know it today, won't exist.  It will have morphed into something else in preparation for the false prophet of Revelation.

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Just a bit of similar news worthy info... For many years we've had an Episcopal Church in our city. However, because that denomination has had issues, with accepting open homosexuality within its membership and priests of both genders, they have decided to change and have their identity as: Anglican. i.e. Church of England. I can't say that I blame them for disassociating themselves and making a stand against obvious and abominable sin.

God bless you,

Shalom

David/BeauJangles