• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

Home > Bible Prophecy > (( Essay ))

The Nature of the Lord's Return Is the Lord Returning in Love or Wrath?

by Dr. David R. Reagan

When you think of the coming of the Lord, what do you think of? What is your image? Is it positive or negative? Is it a return in love or in wrath? And what do you feel? Fear or joy? Comfort or anxiety?

How would you characterize your overall attitude about the Lord's return? Desire or apathy? Do you pray for it? Or, do you try not to think about it? Are you enthusiastic or passive?

Finally, how would you describe the Lord's coming? How would you explain it to someone who knows nothing about it?

The Scriptural Images

There are two detailed descriptions of the Lord's return in the New Testament, one written by the Apostle Paul and the other by the Apostle John. These descriptions are reproduced on page 2, side by side. Stop for a moment and read them carefully.

Now, let me ask you some more questions. How can these two descriptions be reconciled? I ask that because they are as different as night and day. Did you notice that?

Look again and make a careful comparison. Notice that they have absolutely nothing in common. In fact, they are totally incompatible.

Click To View

Comparison and Contrast

The passage in 1 Thessalonians 4 presents a scene of love, mercy, and grace. The picture that is painted by Revelation 19 is one of vengeance and wrath. In the Thessalonian passage, the Lord appears in the sky, but does not descend to the earth. In the Revelation account, he come to the earth. Zechariah 14 says He will return to the Mount of Olives from which He ascended into Heaven.

One of the most significant differences between the two passages relates to the Church. In the Thessalonian account, the Lord comes for the purpose of taking His Church, both the dead and living members, out of this world. In Revelation, by stark contrast, He returns with His Church.

This is indicated in Revelation 19:14 where it says that "the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean were following Him on white horses." We know these people constitute the Church, because the same group is described a few verses before (verses 7 and 8) as being the "bride" of Christ.

Thus, in Paul's description of the Lord's return, He is portrayed as coming for His Church, to deliver believers from the "wrath that is to come" (1 Thessalonians 1:10). But in John's description, Jesus is portrayed as returning with His Church in great wrath. In Thessalonians Jesus returns as a Deliverer. In Revelation He comes back as a Warrior. In one scene He is coming to claim the righteous; in the other, He returns to condemn the unrighteous.

A Problem in Reconciliation

What is going on here? How could these two passages be talking about the same event? How can they be reconciled?

I believe there is only one way to reconcile them and that is to conclude that they are describing two separate events. That, in turn, implies rather clearly that there are going to be two future comings of the Lord.

One of those

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Hi jc49,

I am right there with you. I believe, without shadow of a doubt, that there are two returns of Jesus coming. The rapture, where we meet him in the clouds just before the tribulation period, and the second coming, when Jesus touches down at the Mount of Olives.

I questioned my beliefs thoroughly several years ago. Why do I believe what I believe? Did someone just tell me these things and I believed them? Was it just the first way I heard someone speak on this topic so it was just "right"? Did I prayerfully read the scriptures and ask God for His answer? I did the last one and believe that the pre-trib rapture and the second coming (after the tribulation period) are correct.

But no matter how much "proof" or scripture anyone can provide, there are people who will hold firmly to their own beliefs. The "human interpretation" factor will always be there. That goes for people of ALL rapture/tribulation beliefs. There are scriptures in the Bible that seemingly could support pre/mid/post tribulation theories. But prayerful study will reveal the correct answer. No man knows the day or the hour of Jesus' return. But we can, and do, know that He is returning!

It's a great topic to discuss with people who are casual and tolerant of other people's views. I enjoy it immensely. But I, for one, will never enter into an argument or a debate over the subject because nobody ever "wins". At best, they may agree to disagree.

In His Service,

Keith

Edited by Keith

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

My spirit lately after the Tsunami feels uneasy, like i feel it is going to happen sooner then i thought before. Its like God was talking to me yesterday, i heard a voice with in me that wouldn't go away till i started to make a website for those left behind, He cept on telling me to make it, and it wouldn't stop till i did. Its still in the working.

I believe the antichrist is here on earth right now. That's what i really feel in my spirit. I feel God is saying soon! Beware the time is coming. I'v never had these feelings in my life, and the birth pains are coming...

May God bless,

Joel

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

THE NATURE of THE LORD RETURN, RETURNING IN LOVE OR WRATH?

Actually He is quite capable of doing both at the same time......

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

THE NATURE of THE LORD RETURN, RETURNING IN LOVE OR WRATH?

Actually He is quite capable of doing both at the same time......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree other one.

In His Love,

Suzanne