joejkljkl

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, everybody. I'm trying to start reading the bible again after a short break that was due to my mental illness. At the front of my Bible is an article that puts Mark 4:3-20 in your face. It seems like I'm the soil with weeds (the weeds are material possessions [for me that's TV and video games] that block out God's Word). I can read the Bible up to four hours, but I never think about what I've read. So my plan is to start redeeming my entertainment time by asking, "Where's God in this?". (This is advice my pastor gave to his congregation.) But, I don't really know where to start. Could you please help me redeem these entertainment media so I can get a foothold?

Video Games

Sci-Fi movies

Action movies

Saturday Night Live

Parks and Recreation

Stan Lee's Superhumans

America's Got Talent

Comedians

Jurassic Park

Edited by joejkljkl

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

To be honost, I don't watch any of those or play games other than solitaire. Movies made prior to the 70s are more likely to be cleaner in content and langurage, as well as less violent. For instance we watch the old Maverick westerns which are rated 14 for mild violence. They would be G rated by today's standards. Most were made prior to '63. Old Bill Cosby stand up comadies were great, too, and didn't make you feel like you just had a swim in the sewer. "Why is there air?" is one that I remember.

If you had an 8 year old sister, would you want her watching it, playing it, listening to it?. It pretty much leaves you with the old cartoons like bugs bunny and scooby doo, and maybe spongebob.

Most movies geared for Christian audiences are pretty good. But not all are factual when they are based on the Bible. Those that are testamonies can be very good. Soul Surfer is one that I remember. The inspirational channel has quite a few clean shows. Duck Dynasty, Everybody loves Raymond is still on, or Home Improvement, and Monk.

You might ask yourself if Jesus would enjoy watching the programs you listed? Or you might watch sports, instead.

When reading the Bible, read a passage and then go back and underline or write down the things that are meaningful to you. Memorize a verse from it. Then go to the next passage. It will make you think about what you read. Some people outline a book of the Bible. Do what works well for you.

Guest Jesse

To be honost, I don't watch any of those or play games other than solitaire. Movies made prior to the 70s are more likely to be cleaner in content and langurage, as well as less violent. For instance we watch the old Maverick westerns which are rated 14 for mild violence. They would be G rated by today's standards. Most were made prior to '63. Old Bill Cosby stand up comadies were great, too, and didn't make you feel like you just had a swim in the sewer. "Why is there air?" is one that I remember.

If you had an 8 year old sister, would you want her watching it, playing it, listening to it?. It pretty much leaves you with the old cartoons like bugs bunny and scooby doo, and maybe spongebob.

Most movies geared for Christian audiences are pretty good. But not all are factual when they are based on the Bible. Those that are testamonies can be very good. Soul Surfer is one that I remember. The inspirational channel has quite a few clean shows. Duck Dynasty, Everybody loves Raymond is still on, or Home Improvement, and Monk.

You might ask yourself if Jesus would enjoy watching the programs you listed? Or you might watch sports, instead.

When reading the Bible, read a passage and then go back and underline or write down the things that are meaningful to you. Memorize a verse from it. Then go to the next passage. It will make you think about what you read. Some people outline a book of the Bible. Do what works well for you.

I would go through the new testament first,and understand what it is all about.

And pray for something you dont undestand. And ask questions.

The hunger for knowledge must he in the heart.

Try this:

1. Leave the TV off for a week, except perhaps for the local news and weather (especially if your area is prone to severe weather.)

2. Use the time you'd normally be watching TV to spend more time with the Lord.

3. Got some time left over? You can pray while you do some clean up . . . or just go to bed early. :laugh:

I had to give up TV for a while when I moved from a furnished to an unfurnished apartment. I had no TV or internet service at the new place, so I adapted and now I find network TV to be just annoying with all the commercials and don't get me started on most of the shows on lately.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

If you really want to know if your list is acceptable, consider the following.

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

1 Timothy 4:12-16

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.