• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/06/1990

I live in an are where denominations are VERY diverse.  I just read my Bible and take what God reveals to me.  I thought division was a bad thing?  If so, why do so many people associate as this or that?

Guest shiloh357

I live in an are where denominations are VERY diverse.  I just read my Bible and take what God reveals to me.  I thought division was a bad thing?  If so, why do so many people associate as this or that?

Well denominations are not the "divisions" the Bible warns about.   When the Bible speaks of division such as in I Corinthians, he is referring to division and strife within a single congregations.   Denominations as we know them did not exist in the first century and as such would not have been in the mind of the NT writers. 

Besides, if we were to abolish denominations who decides what we do and how we believe?  Who gets to make that decision for the collective.  Everyone thinks their views are the closest to the Bible, so who's views win out?  Who is the one who breaks the tie?

Denominations  are based more on tradition than doctrine, anyway.   Yes there are differences in doctrine, but those are not necessarily the root causes of denominations.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  337
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,659
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I took one of those facebook quizes to figure out what denomination Im supposed to be. According to it, Im supposed to be evangelical and my wife prespetyrian (spelling?) anyway whats funny is were both southern baptists. . .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I took one of those facebook quizes to figure out what denomination Im supposed to be. According to it, Im supposed to be evangelical and my wife prespetyrian (spelling?) anyway whats funny is were both southern baptists. . .

Southern Baptist? What in Wyoming? Never.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  262
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Tyler,

What you/we are seeing is the result of man formalising (setting in concrete :happyhappy: ) truths that God has revealed by His Holy Spirit to the Body of Christ.

Since the early believers the Apostle Paul warned -

`Be on guard for yourselves .....I know that after my departure (death) savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.` (Acts 20: 28 7 29)

Also  - `For you bears with anyone if he enslaves you, if he devours you, if he takes advantage of you, if he exalts himself, ....` (2 Cor. 11: 20)

`You foolish Galatians who has bewitched you .....` (Gal. 3: 1)

And the Apostle John - `Beloved, do not believe every spirit....` (1 John 4: 1)

So much of Paul`s writings (& the others) concerns refuting error & false teaching & wrong behaviour (lording it over). It is the same today, that is why we need to read the word ourselves, get good instruction & talk with other believers.

Specifically we can see the restoring of truth `lost` to the Body by the names of the denominations. Just a quick summary -

Body of Christ -> different groups -> organisations -> (hierarchical control)

- Catholic -> great variety & sub groups

- Protestants - great variety of various traditions of men.

--- Lutherans  - Presbyterians - Methodists -

-- Baptists - Salvation Army - Pentecostals - Charismatics -

-- non denominational - mega churches - house churches - etc etc

Truths - Salvation by Faith in Jesus - Baptism in water - Baptism in Holy Spirit - Gifts of Holy Spirit -  Ministry Gits of Ascended Lord -

- Functioning of the Body - Purposes of God.

You can match up the truths with specific denominations & yet as the Holy Spirit has swept through every known barrier you will find that many denominations have received many of the truths & the main difference is how we `FUNCTION.`  

As believers we have to `OVERCOME,` & that means the carnal self, the world`s allures & philosophies, & also the errors & deceptions against the word of God. All by the power of the Holy Spirit with the giftings Christ has placed within His Body.

Besides, if we were to abolish denominations who decides what we do and how we believe?  

"What we do" through the bible, and "how we believe" through our own personal relationship with Jesus.

Who gets to make that decision for the collective.  

Why would our beliefs be decided for us?

Everyone thinks their views are the closest to the Bible, so who's views win out?  Who is the one who breaks the tie?

Isnt that the judgement?  Who are we to say whos views win out?

Denominations  are based more on tradition than doctrine, anyway.   Yes there are differences in doctrine, but those are not necessarily the root causes of denominations.

I guess I was just raised to read for myself and believe what God reveals to me.  I dont see believing something because its what your family believed.  (tradition)  

Edited by Tyler47

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/21/1952

Division is not a bad thing. Remember Jesus said...

Luk 12:51  Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.

The Word of God brings "division". It separates the wheat from the chaff, it separates the sheep from the goats. Sheep and goats are not to be together. One belongs to God the other to the Devil! Jesus always drew big crowds when he taught the Word because the people loved to be in the presence of God because of the anointing Jesus had. One time they all would believed his Words, and then the next time they all left him and never came back. They did not like what he said. His Word separated the goats from the sheep which were his disciples that followed him everywhere.

Heb 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 

Jesus also said that he came to bring a "sword" not peace.

Mat 10:34  "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35  For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law
Mat 10:36  And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. 

A Church can be seen as a "household" with all its family members!
There is only one true Church, and that is the "body of Christ" not some man made name that did not come from God.
Our assembling together is in the Spirit on mount Zion the city of the living God, the Heavenly Jerusalem.

Heb 12:22  But ye are come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 
Heb 12:23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 

Edited by CurtisCWilson

There is only one true Church, and that is the "body of Christ" not some man made name that did not come from God.

Thanks Curtis, this was helpful.

Thanks for the replies everyone

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,323
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Denominations are not necessarily based on disagreement.

Some differences are ministry focused (i.e. some might focus on missionary work, while others focus on evangelism, while others focus on the study of scripture etc.)

Some denominations are practically identical to others; but they were started by different people or organizations.

Of course there are some differences of opinion over non-essential doctrines. Contrary to popular myth, Christianity teaches freedom of thought - so there are even differences of opinions within denominations. However, all legitimate Christian denominations agree regarding the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, including; the Divine Authority of Scripture, the Virgin Birth of Christ, the Eternal Deity of Christ, the Vicarious Sacrifice of Christ, the Bodily Resurrection of Christ etc. As such, most Christians consider other Christian denominations to be equally Christian.

The impression of broad antagonism within Christianity is largely populist myth. I'm not suggesting conflict doesn't occur at all, but it's not as typical as opponents of Christianity like to imply.