blue gem

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, i would really appreciate comments on this, maybe there is someone out there with historical knowledge who can shed some light on this.

I have been doing a bit of a bible study on doors mentioned in the bible (both physical and symbolic) and one which really interests me is the doors of the temple.  I use to think the descriptions of the tent of meeting and the temples were a bit of a dry subject, but now I have come to view them in a different way.

1 Kings 6 v 31

For the entrance to the inner sanctuary he made doors of olivewood; the lintel and the doorposts were five- sided. He covered the two doors of olivewood with carvings of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers. He overlaid them with gold and spread gold on the cherubim and on the palm trees.
 So also he made for the entrance to the nave doorposts of olivewood, in the form of a square, and two doors of cypress wood. The two leaves of the one door were folding, and the two leaves of the other door were folding. On them he carved cherubim and palm trees and open flowers, and he overlaid them with gold evenly applied on the carved work.

I have been wondering what the significance was to the decorations on the doors, maybe this is way off but so far I have found the following possible links.  (i don't mind if you tell me I have got this completely wrong).

Isaiah 35 v 1 mentions about how the wilderness will rejoice and blossom, like the crocus it will burst into bloom, it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.

i Kings 7 v 19,22,26 refers to lilles in the temple furnishings.

Song of Songs 2 v 11 refers to for behold, the winter is past;
 the rain is over and gone.
 The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land

I was wondering if the symbolism on the doors referred to peace, the spiritual winter being over in the sense that God dwelt with his people with the temple being symbolic of this.  This later being fulfilled in Jesus in the NT who was the ultimate door.

Any thoughts from anyone?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/02/1997

Brother.Jesus is the only door to the temple. He said he is the only door to the sheepfold. God dwells in the sheep (human). Therefore they are his temple. Thank you brother.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Not having looked into the studies of the doors, but in my opinion, the Cherubim cover and protect God's glory, remember that this is just my idea. Lucifer was described as a "Covering Cherub". After the fall, God places two Cherubim at the entrance of Eden to guard the way to the Tree of Life. There are two Cherubim on either side of the Mercy Seat that was in the Holy of Holies. There were two Cherubim on the woven veil that was between the Holy Place and the Most holy Place. All these material Cherubim, seems to me, to be representative of these wonderful and glorious creatures protecting God's glory from un sanctified, un anointed , and un-chosen men.

This is just my opinion, The Lord hasn't revealed this to me.

Hi it's true that Jesus is the door, which is why I became interested in the subject. You would be surprised how many doors in the bible point to Jesus it's a fascinating subject.

I remember a saying that: The new is in the old concealed and the old is in the new revealed (talking of the old and New Testament).

HGMG I think it's true what you say about the cherubim, I always thought as well of the temple being a replica of heaven on earth as much as it was possible to replicate, which included the heavenly being angels etc. But then the curtain was torn in two which completely opened up a free invitation to all who would come and accept the free gift of life through Jesus. The temple doors and the symbolism still intrigue me though as I wonder if they were a pre cursor all along to the grace which was to be offered to mankind.

But of course I might be completely wrong!

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02

I am sure there is prophetic symbolic intent in everything described in scripture.  To be honest, I've never tracked this one down. The two pillars (Jaken and Boaz) I have which are symbolic of the two witnesses and the two who died on crosses on either side of Jesus and even the persons of the Father and the Holy Spirit (on either side of Jesus in heaven)... Jesus is obviously then the Door.

temple1.jpg 

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02

What I find fascinating is the prophetic symbolism of the first Passover where the blood of the lamb was struck on the doorposts and lintels... the temple was being refurbished / renovated and it is quite possible that the wooden door post beams from Zerubbabel's reconstruction were reused as crosses to execute criminals of the state on... wood being scarce in that region it would be reused.

passover9.jpg

EMPTY_CROSS.jpg

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings blue gem....

I never gave thought to there being any such symbolism as everyone described,,,,it is very nice though,I just never considered it.I always thought that when God gave the instructions,the measurements & everything,,He was giving man a tiny little glimpse of the splendor & beauty of Heaven

I think the cheribum ,the flowers & trees represent what is really what we will see one day only gazillions of times more magnificent...........I don't know what the significance is except that everything that is made gives Praise & Glory to God,,,,,,,to Worship and Behold Him,,,,,,

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Blessings blue gem....

I never gave thought to there being any such symbolism as everyone described,,,,it is very nice though,I just never considered it.I always thought that when God gave the instructions,the measurements & everything,,He was giving man a tiny little glimpse of the splendor & beauty of Heaven

I think the cheribum ,the flowers & trees represent what is really what we will see one day only gazillions of times more magnificent...........I don't know what the significance is except that everything that is made gives Praise & Glory to God,,,,,,,to Worship and Behold Him,,,,,,

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Hi Kwik, it reminds me of

1 Corinthians 2:9 NIV

[9] However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”---the things God has prepared for those who love him---

Won't it be amazing to be with God and finally see the things we can only read about but not fully comprehend.

God bless

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings blue gem

You said it!!!   What a beautiful thought........................................God is soooo Amazing!                                   With love,Kwik

What I find fascinating is the prophetic symbolism of the first Passover where the blood of the lamb was struck on the doorposts and lintels... the temple was being refurbished / renovated and it is quite possible that the wooden door post beams from Zerubbabel's reconstruction were reused as crosses to execute criminals of the state on... wood being scarce in that region it would be reused.

passover9.jpg

EMPTY_CROSS.jpg

Hi john, I've never really thought about where the wood might have one from, but I suppose it would have made sense to recycle.

The Passover really intrigues me too. A few years back I was shown in a dream how we are covered by the blood of the lamb of Jesus and how we carry it with us wherever we go. When God looks down he sees it on us, just as it would have been seen on the doors of the houses. It does literally cover us.

The inhabitants were only safe though in the house, it was covered and so were they. Also this is an analogy of the temple as life was centred around the temple and tabanacle literally!

But in Christ we are free as we are the temple

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 AMP

[19] Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received as a Gift from God? You are not your own, [20] You were bought with a price purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

A question I suppose is why did the Israelites need to cover their houses with blood at that moment in time, why was it not just possible for God to know who the Egyptians were and who the Isrealites were. There are lots of possible answers to that one. Maybe the judgement referred to was similar in some way to the judgement to come, or it was symbolic of the judgement to come.

Oops I've sabotaged my own thread now :-)