IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

justfaith

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe its just my need to put things where they belong...but is there a prophetic implication to all of this?

If you take Dan 9's 69th week to end with the arrival of the Messiah in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, then it's useful to know what day of the week Passover could be to see which years are possible candidates for the cruxifiction.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Maybe its just my need to put things where they belong...but is there a prophetic implication to all of this?

I would say that there was a prophetic significance to the timing.

God gave Israel certain high holidays. The timing of Jesus death, and resurrection from the dead, were on significant days coinciding to certain spring holy days. Jesus death and resurrection were forshadowed by the meanings of those holy days. So, as the NT says, all of the law and prophets spoke of Jesus. In this case, the law is speaking and pointing to Jesus.

While Jesus fulfilled the spring holy days, the fall holy days are as of yet, unfilfilled, but will be.

Jesus died on Passover.

Jesus was resurrected on the day of the first fruits wave offering and the beginning of the counting of the omer.

The Holy Spirit was given on the feast of first fruits.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

If you take Dan 9's 69th week to end with the arrival of the Messiah in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, then it's useful to know what day of the week Passover could be to see which years are possible candidates for the cruxifiction.

God gave Israel certain high holidays. The timing of Jesus death, and resurrection from the dead, were on significant days coinciding to certain spring holy days. Jesus death and resurrection were forshadowed by the meanings of those holy days. So, as the NT says, all of the law and prophets spoke of Jesus. In this case, the law is speaking and pointing to Jesus.

While Jesus fulfilled the spring holy days, the fall holy days are as of yet, unfilfilled, but will be.

Jesus died on Passover.

Jesus was resurrected on the day of the first fruits wave offering and the beginning of the counting of the omer.

What exactly is the significance for each of the days...Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.  If it was Wednesday, what does that mean?  Likewise Thursday and Friday.  I haven't heard of this being a prophetic (future events) topic before. 

He arose on first fruits, and the Holy Spirit was given to His disciples (John 20) that same day as a first fruit, but given to all later at Shavout/Pentecost.

More resurrection prophecy trivia...

Paul writes in 1 Cor 15:

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Where, in the OT scriptures that he is referring to, can you find the third day prophesied? I've got three places in Genesis...

What exactly is the significance for each of the days...Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.  If it was Wednesday, what does that mean?  Likewise Thursday and Friday.  I haven't heard of this being a prophetic (future events) topic before.

Seeing exactly how past prophecy is fulfilled is useful to judge how seriously and literally we should take the Bible. If Christ fulfilled Dan 9's 69th week prophecy *to the very day* that'd really be something! wouldn't it? By analyzing which days the prophecy could begin, and which days the prophecy could have been fulfilled, you get two handfuls of days separated by various intervals. It so happens (!) that one of the possible start dates is exactly 69 heptads/173880 days before one of the possible fulfillment days. Realizing that "Good Friday" is just a tradition is helpful in culling out possible fulfillment dates, as we look at calendars from 28-34 AD.

He arose on first fruits, and the Holy Spirit was given to His disciples (John 20) that same day as a first fruit, but given to all later at Shavout/Pentecost.

More resurrection prophecy trivia...

Paul writes in 1 Cor 15:

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Where, in the OT scriptures that he is referring to, can you find the third day prophesied? I've got three places in Genesis...

Shavuot is the feast of first fruits (wheat), while resurrection day is the first fruit wave offering (barley). I do not believe the disciples received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until Shavuot.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

Seeing exactly how past prophecy is fulfilled is useful to judge how seriously and literally we should take the Bible. If Christ fulfilled Dan 9's 69th week prophecy *to the very day* that'd really be something! wouldn't it? By analyzing which days the prophecy could begin, and which days the prophecy could have been fulfilled, you get two handfuls of days separated by various intervals. It so happens (!) that one of the possible start dates is exactly 69 heptads/173880 days before one of the possible fulfillment days. Realizing that "Good Friday" is just a tradition is helpful in culling out possible fulfillment dates, as we look at calendars from 28-34 AD.

I agree with the amazing, perfect accuracy of the details of prophecy, fulfilled and unfulfilled (I guess it was all unfulfilled at the time it was given).  I think we all do.  I just don't understand the relevance that the day of the week of Jesus' crucifixion has on future events.  I haven't heard anyone draw any conclusions, or support their understanding of end times prophecy, based on it.  Is there more to it than just establishing the accuracy of a historic event?  Inquiring minds just want to know.

Jesus died on Passover.

Ok, I don't see any significance to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The significance was Passover, and the first fruits wave offering. Plus the prophesy about 3 days. The Hebrew calendar is entirely different then the Gregorian calendar so the where Passover lands in relationship with the first fruits wave offering will vary (based on the first fruits wave offering being the day after the weekly sabbath).  

As has already been discussed, Hebrew days begin at sunset and end at sunset. They are numbered, not named. So, Wednesday roughly is day 4. Day 4 to Day 1 (Sunday) is too many days to fit the three days. No matter how it is calculated, I can not come up with 3 days from a day 4 crucifixion. I can from either day 5 (roughly Thursday) or day 6 (roughly Friday).   

Shavuot is the feast of first fruits (wheat), while resurrection day is the first fruit wave offering (barley). I do not believe the disciples received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until Shavuot.

The Feast of First Fruits is the first day of the week following the sabbath following Passover. (If my memory serves- I recall it's a convoluted thing to track down in the scripture).

First fruits are presented to the altar on Shavout.

Guest shiloh357

actually there are two "first fruits" offerings.  There was the first fruit offering three days after Passover representing Jesus as the first fruits of the resurrection and the first  fruit offering on Shavuot which represented the first fruits of the ingathering.