• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Where is Hell or the lake of fire ?

Will people actually be burning forever ?

Get a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, and look up the word 'hell' per its usage in the KJV Bible. It is one of three Greek words in the NT manuscripts, each with a different meaning. So it depends on which Greek word and the context where it's given.

In some places with our Lord Jesus speaking, the word "hell" is a transliteration 'geena' from the Hebrew 'valley of Hinnom', a perpetual burning garbage pit outside the walls of Jerusalem. Jesus used Hinnom as a 'symbol' for the "lake of fire". Does not mean Hinnom is the "lake of fire", but only a symbol used for it.

In other NT Scripture, hell is the Greek word 'haides', the word pagan Greeks used for their idea of the underworld, the world they believed one goes to after flesh death.

In another case, it is 'tartaroo', also an idea from the pagan Greeks about the lowest abode of the underworld where the angels in chains are.

I personally do not interpret the "lake of fire" of Rev.20 being about an everlasting burning, but an everlasting destruction. The Psalms says the wicked will be consumed away, like be no more. Ezekiel 28:18 points to Satan being turned to ashes upon the earth in the sight of men. Thus I do not believe in God's Eternity we will looking down in the pit to see people perpetually burning. Instead, they simply will exist no more, and memory of them will have perished.

This is a good synopsis.  I don't believe it will be an eternal flame either but will simply be eternity without common grace, which will not be a pretty picture.  People will quickly realize the role that God's grace was playing in their lives.  However, I don't quite understand what you mean in your last sentence and where you are taking that from.  Please explain.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

This is a good synopsis.  I don't believe it will be an eternal flame either but will simply be eternity without common grace, which will not be a pretty picture.  People will quickly realize the role that God's grace was playing in their lives.  However, I don't quite understand what you mean in your last sentence and where you are taking that from.  Please explain.

Which part?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Which part?

This sentence: "Instead, they simply will exist no more, and memory of them will have perished."

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

the bible refers to it being in the earth

I can only say it appears so, hopefully for those in hell there is an end of punishment somewhere in God's eyes

Edited by seandavids

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

Which part?

This sentence: "Instead, they simply will exist no more, and memory of them will have perished."

Look at Psalms 37 I believe it is, about the wicked being consumed away (KJV).

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 18:8-9 “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Matthew 25:41, 46 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Jesus calls it everlasting fire and everlasting punishment. I would say they will be bound up with all their senses in everlasting punishment. People that don't believe in everlasting fire and punishment would be calling JESUS a liar.