IGNORED

Please explain John 3:5

Guest Judas Machabeus

Guest Judas Machabeus

5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

I was told this doesn't not refer to water baptism. Can some one explain to me what it means to be born of water??

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

John the Baptist had his own Baptism at the Time. His baptism was a baptism of repentence as a symbol that one turns away from that past sinful lifestyle. John's Baptism was just water. Jesus received the Holy Spirit, so when we are baptized in Jesus name it is a symbol of repentance and of ourselves dying to be revived thru the Holy Spirit. Meaning when we become Christians we are declaring victory over our body and our own self interests. Our past self ambitions died and now we are renewed by Christ the Holy Spirit gives us victory over our body and focuses our new self on Holy things so we now serve God's will and we are not worried about our own will or self interests anymore. Does this help?

Guest Judas Machabeus

Chapmic,

I bring this up because in the baptism thread I was arguing salvation by baptism and used this scripture. The argument back was that verse 5 was not about baptism.

Now you and I may or may not agree with baptism salvation and I do not want this thread to turn to that. But you too make a connection between verse 5 and baptism. Which I do as well.

I fail to understand how Jn 3:5 can not be pointing to water baptism. I hope those that refute the claim that Jesus is speaking of baptism can help me understand their position.

Edited for terrible grammar

Edited by Judas Machabeus

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yes, I would like to hear that argument as well. It sounds pretty clear that this verse is about Baptism.

Guest Teditis

I'm not sure exactly what it means... I have heard the argument about it referring to

the birthing process and the amniotic fluid/water.

But in truth, I just don't know.

I feel that there are enough other Scriptures that tell us to stick to certain Sacraments

(like water baptism) without turning the world upside down to prove a point.

Guest Judas Machabeus

I'm not sure exactly what it means... I have heard the argument about it referring to

I feel that there are enough other Scriptures that tell us to stick to certain Sacraments

I'm not trying to turn the world upside down nor am I trying to prove a point. I am asking to have a point of view explained to me.

Guest Teditis

I'm not trying to turn the world upside down nor am I trying to prove a point. I am asking to have a point of view explained to me.

Sorry... I didn't intend for that last post to come across as accusatory.

Please forgive me of that...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Yes, I would like to hear that argument as well. It sounds pretty clear that this verse is about Baptism.

It reminds me of Jesus' own baptism (John 1:33).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Seems the context makes it pretty clear:

[Jhn 3:3 NKJV] Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

[Jhn 3:4 NKJV] Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
[Jhn 3:5 NKJV] Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
[Jhn 3:6 NKJV] "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
[Jhn 3:7 NKJV] "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

Jesus is explaining the second birth, being born again, the Spirit rather than the flesh. It seems clear that "of water" in v5 is the same as "of the flesh" in v6. The second birth is the focus here, and the second birth is of the Spirit, not of water AND the Spirit. Jesus is adding one thing here, not two. 

Guest Judas Machabeus

Oldschool,

I agree with you.

At the time when this topic was being discussed I must say I was not acting in a charitable way. I was more concerned with proving my points that I never really engaged in discussing the opposing point of view. That went done a couple weeks ago and I was reflecting on it the other day and so I posted today asking the question.