• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I was wondering about this topic. I know atonement for sin was animal sacrifices in the Old Testament, but how is it dealt with in the New Testament? What is the atonement for sin in the New Testament, I don't remember reading anything about it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Your question leads me to ask how your sins were atoned?  How were they forgiven?

Guest shiloh357

Hi,

I was wondering about this topic. I know atonement for sin was animal sacrifices in the Old Testament, but how is it dealt with in the New Testament? What is the atonement for sin in the New Testament, I don't remember reading anything about it.

Jesus death on the cross is our atonement.   Jesus died on the cross as a penalty for our sins.  His death and shed blood paid the price God demanded for our sin. 

That's why Jesus died.  Man was under a death penalty and Jesus bore that penalty way through this death and in doing so, Jesus brought us eternal life.  That's our atonement.  Hebrews 10 makes that point.   In fact, Jesus death is even better than an Old Testament atonement in that Jesus' death was the final offering for sin.

When I thought I was an atheist, my personal atonement for sin was to ask forgiveness to the person I hurt, and then do something to make it up to them. If that wasn't possible, ie. someone in my past that I no longer have contact with, then I would ask forgiveness from myself (my mind) and then make it up to mankind in some way.

My understanding of the significance of Jesus's death is that his death was the "ultimate sacrifice." We gave up something very precious (Jesus) and because of that we are "square with god." Adam's sin in trade for Jesus. Does that make sense? I have been told that I am wrong about this by other Christians, so I don't know if this is right.

Guest shiloh357

When I thought I was an atheist, my personal atonement for sin was to ask forgiveness to the person I hurt, and then do something to make it up to them. If that wasn't possible, ie. someone in my past that I no longer have contact with, then I would ask forgiveness from myself (my mind) and then make it up to mankind in some way.

My understanding of the significance of Jesus's death is that his death was the "ultimate sacrifice." We gave up something very precious (Jesus) and because of that we are "square with god." Adam's sin in trade for Jesus. Does that make sense? I have been told that I am wrong about this by other Christians, so I don't know if this is right.

We don't "atone" for sin.  Making restitution is one thing.  That's good, but that doesn't atone for sin in the ultimate sense.

Yes, Jesus death was the ultimate sacrifice.    But no, we did not give up Jesus.  Jesus was given to us by God (John 3:16)   God sent His Son to die for us.  We didn't give up Jesus to the Father.  He gave up Jesus for us.    Jesus canceled out the curse that was upon mankind because of Adam's sin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Jesus sacrifice was once for all of us . He took the sins of all mankind on Himself so that we need only to ask for God the Father to forgive us for our sins, but we must ask those whom we have wronged to forgive us also. The greater thing sometime for us is to forgive ourselves. This is a burden that many carry needlessly. We need to turn those burdens over to Jesus.

I was wondering about this topic.

I know atonement for sin was animal sacrifices in the Old Testament,

but how is it dealt with in the New Testament? What is the atonement for sin in the New Testament,

I don't remember reading anything about it.

:thumbsup:

By

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4

Faith

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Romans 1:17

In

And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. Genesis 22:8

The LORD

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Isaiah 53:5-7

We don't "atone" for sin.  Making restitution is one thing.  That's good, but that doesn't atone for sin in the ultimate sense.

Yes, Jesus death was the ultimate sacrifice.    But no, we did not give up Jesus.  Jesus was given to us by God (John 3:16)   God sent His Son to die for us.  We didn't give up Jesus to the Father.  He gave up Jesus for us.    Jesus canceled out the curse that was upon mankind because of Adam's sin.

So then is it like this: God sent us his son (the treasure) but then said I am also going to take him away, in trade for Adam's sins?

Guest shiloh357

So then is it like this: God sent us his son (the treasure) but then said I am also going to take him away, in trade for Adam's sins?

No, God sent His Son to die for our sins.  Jesus died, was buried and was raised from the dead and as a result we now have forgiveness of sins and eternal love.  Jesus isn't take away, nor was Jesus traded for Adam's sin.   Jesus paid the penalty for Adam's sin by His death on the cross.  Because Jesus was raised from the dead and lives eternally we have assurance of eternal life when we accept as our Savior.

Furthermore, God did not take Him away.  Jesus lives in our hearts in the Person of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus said, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you; I am with you always, even to the end of the world."

So then is it like this:

God sent us his son (the treasure)

but then said I am also going to take him away, in trade for Adam's sins?

:thumbsup:

Beloved, It's

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

This

For the wages of sin is death;

but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23