IGNORED

Black Friday

missmuffet

i hadn't heard "grey thursday". i have, however, heard the term "black thursday" many times. it's kinda sickening. thanksgiving is supposed to be pumpkin-pie-orange.

bopeep, our grocery store was nearly empty. i've been twice now. i also had lunch at the hamburger joint next to the grocery store today. i was happy to stay within a mile of my home in the historic district LOL. the shoppers were at the malls and the "newer" shopping centers....

or on the square downtown. i didn't go there either, but i'm sure they were slammed. it's a trendy place to shop for handmade stuff and antiques. and they were closed for thanksgiving!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

There was a commentator on the news that alleges that a lot of the "sale" items are  factory seconds, lower quality items.  You think you are getting a deal, but they are actually selling stuff that is made poorly,  maybe the stitching is not good or something.  So the black Friday sales may not be the deal they are cracked up to be.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

They're not especially with black Friday deals. Most of the electronics sold are always inferior products. Usually made cheaply just for the sale or last years models dressed up. They look nice but in every single case with the electronics-i can get a better product online, often same price or cheaper simply by being patient and watching my deals.

I remember the black Friday I actually worked at wal-mart for. The fastest seller-was a hideous stuffed bear. The item would have never sold, ever had it been on the shelf or any other sale. But because it was "black Friday" it was gone inside of minutes of the store opening (that was when Walmart actually closed thanksgiving day) people were grabbing 2-3 at a time without even looking at them simply because it was a "black Friday deal"

Don't get me wrong there are a few items that are good deals but most of them are crap, and they get away with it because 90% of people don't take the time to actually research the product, and with in store deals you rarely have the time

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I'm in Canada and "Yes" they started the black Friday here too,first there were a few stores but now it's even the grocery stores,I wondered for many years where they got the term "Black Friday " ?

I'm not going anywhere ,my husband might get shoes from Marks Warehouse  and that's it,the deal are not really that good anyway!

the term black friday comes from it being the day when most retailers get out of the "red zone" and start finally turning a profit for the year.

Thanks,did you buy anything?

me? i didn't go anywhere near a store yesterday, and the only store i went to today was the grocery store so i could pick up a fogger for the storage shed.... gotta make sure when we pull out the christmas trees that there aren't any spiders making their home in them!

seriously though, i've committed to doing any and all holiday shopping at stores that were NOT open yesterday. that means walmart, target, and many many other places will not be getting any of my business for the next six weeks. 

it's a good thing i'm a fan of shopping small businesses, huh? 

I never heard of a fogger...does that kill spiders? Do you get spiders in your tree this time of the year?

We have our artificial tree for the last couple of years and I know it's not the same as a real tree it is easy and no mess to clean up:)

I don't know where I'm going to do my Christmas shopping..... :) I don't like crowded malls!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

There was a commentator on the news that alleges that a lot of the "sale" items are  factory seconds, lower quality items.  You think you are getting a deal, but they are actually selling stuff that is made poorly,  maybe the stitching is not good or something.  So the black Friday sales may not be the deal they are cracked up to be.

That does not surprise me in the least.

I just finished the bulk of my black friday shopping-from my own home. Cabelas had a new spotting scope half off I wanted, and I got a red dot site for one of my handguns (that item wasnt on the sale but it was cool) will be spending most of the rest of the day lobbing lead downrange at prairie dogs, and perhaps hitting wal-mart tonight to go through the movies.

Love the Cabelas store...have been there only one time while visiting  my daughter in Regina,they had some really good deals :)

I'm in Canada and "Yes" they started the black Friday here too,first there were a few stores but now it's even the grocery stores,I wondered for many years where they got the term "Black Friday " ?

I'm not going anywhere ,my husband might get shoes from Marks Warehouse  and that's it,the deal are not really that good anyway!

the term black friday comes from it being the day when most retailers get out of the "red zone" and start finally turning a profit for the year.

me? i didn't go anywhere near a store yesterday, and the only store i went to today was the grocery store so i could pick up a fogger for the storage shed.... gotta make sure when we pull out the christmas trees that there aren't any spiders making their home in them!

seriously though, i've committed to doing any and all holiday shopping at stores that were NOT open yesterday. that means walmart, target, and many many other places will not be getting any of my business for the next six weeks. 

I never heard of a fogger...does that kill spiders? Do you get spiders in your tree this time of the year?

We have our artificial tree for the last couple of years and I know it's not the same as a real tree it is easy and no mess to clean up:)

I don't know where I'm going to do my Christmas shopping..... :) I don't like crowded malls!!

yeah, a fogger is a no-mist spray (more like a smoke instead) that you set off and then leave in an enclosed area to kill any critters. we have two small artificial trees that we put in our front windows each year, and we noticed recently that there were some spider webs in the storage shed where the trees are kept. we just had the pest control guy out to spray the house two days ago, we didn't want to bring in any 'unwanted guests' from the shed into the house when the trees come in!

do your christmas shopping online. buy handmade stuff off sites like meylah or etsy! a lot of people depend on that income from the things they create. and you can shop for literally everyone! no matter what you want, you can find a handmade version!

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I just finished the bulk of my black friday shopping-from my own home. Cabelas had a new spotting scope half off I wanted, and I got a red dot site for one of my handguns (that item wasnt on the sale but it was cool) will be spending most of the rest of the day lobbing lead downrange at prairie dogs, and perhaps hitting wal-mart tonight to go through the movies.

Love the Cabelas store...have been there only one time while visiting  my daughter in Regina,they had some really good deals :)

oh, I love going to cabelas. unfortunatly, or actually in this case fortunatly-this was a online deal so theyre just shipping it to my home. :D

I didn't participate in "Black Friday" this year.  I did my shopping online . . . for a pair of work shoes at half price I found on Amazon. All the other "deals" I've seen through out the year for the most part. I also had to work Thursday night, so I slept through it for the most part.

yeah, a fogger is a no-mist spray (more like a smoke instead) that you set off and then leave in an enclosed area to kill any critters. we have two small artificial trees that we put in our front windows each year, and we noticed recently that there were some spider webs in the storage shed where the trees are kept. we just had the pest control guy out to spray the house two days ago, we didn't want to bring in any 'unwanted guests' from the shed into the house when the trees come in!

do your christmas shopping online. buy handmade stuff off sites like meylah or etsy! a lot of people depend on that income from the things they create. and you can shop for literally everyone! no matter what you want, you can find a handmade version!

What for kind of critters does it work for? 

I'm not yet a big online shopper,I don't really know if it's safe to give out credit cards online?

Do you still have your website online too? 

How are you feeling these days..are you back to your old self?