• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I think someone here suggested why not use a taser.  Well, because taser's kill people too,  634 since 2001.

I wasn't able to find a list of how many people were actually shot and killed by police in the same time period, however; I am concerned by how often lethal force is used against the public.  I think the police feel they are at war on our streets and so they are more likely to use deadly force than they have in the past.  I am certain that in smaller communities the likelihood of being gunned down by a LEO is improbable.  The problem is the large cities, where the predators have a much broader range of anonymity than they have elsewhere.

http://jimfishertruecrime.blogspot.com/2012/01/police-involved-shootings-2011-annual.html

Guest shiloh357

I have been doing some reading and Eric Garner had asthma.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/04/asthma-like-so-many-other-factors-in-eric-garners-death-is-correlated-with-race/

The choke hold might not have killed him had he not been suffering from it.   Another non-asthmatic person would have survived.   Obviously the police officer didn't know he was asthmatic.

In addition, he has been arrested over 30 times.  He has a long rap sheet and so when they came to arrest him, he knew the drill, and purportedly attempted to resist arrest, which is what precipitated the choke hold.

I have been doing some reading and Eric Garner had asthma.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/04/asthma-like-so-many-other-factors-in-eric-garners-death-is-correlated-with-race/

The choke hold might not have killed him had he not been suffering from it.   Another non-asthmatic person would have survived.   Obviously the police officer didn't know he was asthmatic.

In addition, he has been arrested over 30 times.  He has a long rap sheet and so when they came to arrest him, he knew the drill, and purportedly attempted to resist arrest, which is what precipitated the choke hold.

yeah, that's kinda what i was saying a couple of posts back too. no way could the cop have known about his asthma AND his heart condition, both of which could have been triggered by the struggle to arrest. 

the only person who could have known those things was eric garner... he knew he was asthmatic, he knew he had heart trouble, and he knew he was being arrested. he could almost certainly have prevented his own death. the cop, on the other hand, had no way of knowing, nor did he have any desire to kill anyone.

if every cop in the world had to consider every possible outcome based on any unknown medical conditions a criminal might have before making an arrest, then we might as well just throw up our hands and let anarchy rule.

Guest shiloh357

yeah, that's kinda what i was saying a couple of posts back too. no way could the cop have known about his asthma AND his heart condition, both of which could have been triggered by the struggle to arrest. 

the only person who could have known those things was eric garner... he knew he was asthmatic, he knew he had heart trouble, and he knew he was being arrested. he could almost certainly have prevented his own death. the cop, on the other hand, had no way of knowing, nor did he have any desire to kill anyone.

if every cop in the world had to consider every possible outcome based on any unknown medical conditions a criminal might have before making an arrest, then we might as well just throw up our hands and let anarchy rule.

That's true.   And it changes my mind about disagreeing with the Grand Jury.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Every cop is now under attack. Every action of theirs will be second guessed. They are more at risk now of being harmed because they could hesitate thinking if I try to take on that criminal, what will be the repercussions later.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Every cop is now under attack. Every action of theirs will be second guessed. They are more at risk now of being harmed because they could hesitate thinking if I try to take on that criminal, what will be the repercussions later.

That's why someone has to start preaching "LISTEN TO THE POLICE." if both these men had simply complied and listened they would be alive today and would not be known by anyone other than friends and family. 

Guest shiloh357

That's right, Jade.  And that's scary to think about. Police officers have to make split second decisions in many cases and they don't have time in those situations to stop and  weigh the political ramifications of their job.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

There is no excuse for brutality.Race does not come into this at all for me.

I support the police despite being a victim of the police. 

Yes victim. 

They made a mistake on a license plate (reversed digits) and believed I was a criminal (a wanted felon). I was surrounded by cops etc. Throughout all of it I listened to the cops and did not make rash moves. I did not resist them either. No one laid a hand on me. Finally they realized their mistake and let me go. I drove home in tears and to this day Im still nervous when in that city.

On another occasion, I happened to be a mile away at a time when a cop was shot in the head and killed during a routine traffic stop.

Cops have a tough job. People need to listen to the cops. If you listen, you do not get hurt.

There is no excuse for brutality.Race does not come into this at all for me.

Define brutality. 

Is it brutality when someone tries to attack a cop and the cop uses whatever is available to stop the attack? 

Is it brutality when someone tries to run over a cop and the cop shoots at the person?

Is it brutality when someone struggles and resists arrest and the cop has to subdue them?

Do you know how many cops are hurt or killed each year?