IGNORED

do you speak in tongues

soulwinner

Have you ever spoke in tongues  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever spoke in tongues

• No It's not right to according to God's word.
    • No I dont have the gift.
    • No and dont think the gift is for today.
    • Yes .
    • Yes but used in the right way for spreading the gospel.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Tongues are un-Biblical? You have GOT to be *edited* me! As a person who recently re-dedicated himself to Christ and received the gift of tongues on the night of February 3, 2012, I (for one) believe that it IS Biblical.

I wish (now) that I had never, ever opened and read this thread because it's very discouraging......emot-questioned.gifblink.gifhuh.gif20.gif

Yes, these kinds of threads can lead to some discouragement. Hold fast to that which the Lord has opened your heart to, friend. Do as Paul instructs: stir up the gift within you---pray in tongues!

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Has any one here ever heard of a book called "They Speak with Other Tongues" by John L Sherrill. It is interesting to say the least. The back of the book says...

"John Sherrill was a skeptic as far as miracles were concerned. Then the magazine he worked for sent him to investigate a biblical event that was cropping up across the country: the phenomenon of speaking in tongues. Before long he became a believer. As Sherrill relates the historical and biblical background of speaking in tongues, examines significant contemporary events, and shares his personal experience, he gives valuable insight into this gift of the Holy Spirit.

This classic has already inspired over two and a half-million readers worldwide. Now you, too, will be challenged and moved by the powerful story told in this book."

tongues is just another word for languages in the KJV Bible. I used to speak what you call tongues but then i stopped it when i found it to be unbiblical.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Doctrines/Speaking%20in%20Tongues/speaking_in_tongues.htm

what are you trying to achieve?

You statement leads me to ask if you believe the gifts from 1 Corinthian 12 are not for today?

The gifts are for today but how they are interpreted is wrong.

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

the tongues here are languages not gibberish, miracles can still go on, there is prophecy but it is based on the word of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Has any one here ever heard of a book called "They Speak with Other Tongues" by John L Sherrill. It is interesting to say the least. The back of the book says...

"John Sherrill was a skeptic as far as miracles were concerned. Then the magazine he worked for sent him to investigate a biblical event that was cropping up across the country: the phenomenon of speaking in tongues. Before long he became a believer. As Sherrill relates the historical and biblical background of speaking in tongues, examines significant contemporary events, and shares his personal experience, he gives valuable insight into this gift of the Holy Spirit.

This classic has already inspired over two and a half-million readers worldwide. Now you, too, will be challenged and moved by the powerful story told in this book."

tongues is just another word for languages in the KJV Bible. I used to speak what you call tongues but then i stopped it when i found it to be unbiblical.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Doctrines/Speaking%20in%20Tongues/speaking_in_tongues.htm

what are you trying to achieve?

You statement leads me to ask if you believe the gifts from 1 Corinthian 12 are not for today?

The gifts are for today but how they are interpreted is wrong.

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

the tongues here are languages not gibberish, miracles can still go on, there is prophecy but it is based on the word of God.

We are close in agreeing. I have witnessed, in my spirit, what I felt were false tongues. To me, those who practice falsely are doing so with self righteous reasons. I don't believe they are speaking the false tongues satanist use.

I also see that praying in tongues, as the Holy Spirit prays for us, is different than the gift of tongues. Prayer is to be done in our secret places, to ourselves when in a crowd and in tongues. Otherwise, they are to be interpreted for they are then a message from God. Paul said "yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue." There can be misuse of tongues, which I have agreed to all along.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Speaking in Tongues

I am still amazed that people honestly believe that uttering nonsense is a gift from God. In what way can this dialogue benefit another person?

Jesus told his disciples to preach his crucifixion and resurrection with the call to repentance, but before they started doing this they were to tarry in Jerusalem and wait for the power of God.

Luke 24:46-49 KJV

(46) And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

(47) And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

(48) And ye are witnesses of these things.

(49) And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Here the day has arrived, the power from on high is the baptism of the Holy Spirit as the appearance of flames of fire (never seen that in a Pentecostal church).

Acts 2:1-4 KJV

(1) And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

(2) And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

(3) And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

(4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Please notice here that they can speak with other tongues - this actually means they could speak in other languages. The purpose was because they were gathered there Jews from many different nations that spoke different languages.

Acts 2:5-11 KJV

(5) And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

(6) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

(7) And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

(8) And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

(9) Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

(10) Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

(11) Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Look hard at verse 8 of Acts 2.

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Tongues were not nonsense or strange sounds or some unintelligible language that others did not know. Tongues were real languages spoken by real people and understood by others that spoke that tongue or language.

The whole point of the baptism of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost written in Acts, was that the people gathered there would all be able to hear the message of Jesus Christ in their own language and understand what was being spoken.

We see it explained further in 1 Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 14:4-9 KJV

(4) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

(5) I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

(6) Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

(7) And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

(8) For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

(9) So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

Here is an example: If a person walks into a Chinese speaking congregation and starts preaching in English and no one understands them, there is no benefit to another.

If this person has a message to share and they have someone with them that can interpret what is being said into the language (or tongue) of the people they are with, then others will be able to understand what is being said.

Look at the end of verse 5 of 1 Corinthians 14 ... except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

1 Corinthians 14:26-33 KJV

(26) How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

(27) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

(28) But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

(29) Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

(30) If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

(31) For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

(32) And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

(33) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

What I have witnessed in churches today of speaking in tongues is confusion. People do it all together making a racket. No one interrupts and it is never a real langue or tongue of another nationality.

It is my personal belief that these people are being fooled by Satan into thinking they are being lead by the Spirit of God when it is really his spirit they are following.

Please forgive me for using strong words and I am sorry if I have offended some. But better to suffer offence and find the truth than to remain lost in lies.

And if you are still in doubt that word "tongue" actually means language, consider the following verse.

Revelation 9:11 KJV

(11) And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

1 Corinthians 14:33 KJV

(33) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Edited by Lauri

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Speaking in Tongues

I am still amazed that people honestly believe that uttering nonsense is a gift from God.

From the first sentence I can see that we have a problem with fleshly judgment.

1 Corinthians 14:39

So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues.

I don't have any problem with your opion on my comments, we are all intiled to our oppions.

But what about the scriptures, that clearly state what speaking in tongues is.

The fact that the disciples spoke in the different languages of the people present.

The fact that tongues is the same as languages?

Bible is very clear on this event, why make it into something else?

I don't have any problem with your opion on my comments, we are all intiled to our oppions.

But what about the scriptures, that clearly state what speaking in tongues is.

The fact that the disciples spoke in the different languages of the people present.

The fact that tongues is the same as languages?

Bible is very clear on this event, why make it into something else?

'Tongue' means 'language'. What do you think we make of it?

Scripture explains that the gift of tongues was for the purpose of preaching the gospel to others who spoke a different language.

Luke 24:46-49 KJV

(46) And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

(47) And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

(48) And ye are witnesses of these things.

(49) And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Acts 2:5-11 KJV

And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

... And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

... we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

What do you make of it, as you put it?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

Rom_8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

was just going to type this verse

Tongues certainly was a help to evangelize the many various people who frequented Jerusalem in that day. Tongues is also given to do the same job today.

There is also another use for tongues by Holy Spirit, and that is in personal prayer---and worship.

Public Gift of Tongues

Spoken with interpretation to the church (Equal to prophecy-1 Corinthians 14:5)

To be interpreted (1 Corinthians 14:5)

Edifies the church (when interpreted-1 Corinthians 14:4-5)

A sign to unbelievers (1 Corinthians 14:22)

Personal Prayer Tongues

Spoken privately to God (1 Corinthians 14:2)

No interpretation necessary (1 Corinthians 14:28)

Edifies the individual believer (1 Corinthians 14:4)

Can be manifested when no unbelievers are present (Acts 10:46; 19:6)

Should be desired and practiced by all Christians (Mark 16:17; 1 Corinthians 14:5; Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20 ).