Mental illness/PTSD

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Hi! So I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. No I was not in combat but I have been sexually assaulted among other things. Anyways I guess I am asking how do you make mental illness and God fit  together?  I have heard Bible verses and cliches but what about practical advice. I understand it's gonna be easy to just shoot me a verse but in all honesty sometimes when I am depressed the Bible just doesn't  help. It can actually make things worse because satan knows scripture too.

Anyway I'm not saying don't send me verses but please if you do, send me how you interpret that verse also so there is no confusion. Also some practical advice would be welcomed like how do you cope with the fact that you begged God to help you when you were at your lowest and you felt no comfort? How do you cope with feeling that empty feeling like God has just gotten up and left? And how to read the Bible when your ADHD mind is all over the place and you just don't wanna sit still? And how do you deal with the constant pressure from people to be better when it's just not possible at the moment? What do I say to people who tell me "all things are possible with Jesus!" but he didn't help me when I was really hurting. Maybe there was some spiritual warfare going on and he was protecting me in other ways, that's a thought. But I just wish that I could be like other Christians who can go around all happy with a smile on and be like "Jesus is my strength!" 

If you are struggling with the same stuff, lemme know? I wanna make sure I'm not crazy. Advice, Bible verses, life stories, all of it is welcome!

Thanks! 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

PTSD  is something to overcome and God can and will give you the ability.

And he may also use your experience to help another hurting person

When I am overwhelmed and under performing, and can't nudge myself out of the hole I am in, I find that music can enter and inspire me, when everything else is blocked

There are a lot of sources for good, inspiring Christian Music.....KLOVE is one, they have radio stations all over the country, or you can stream online, or from an app

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I have ptsd. Not from combat either. I saw a therapist and overcame it. Recently Im having a small flare up after the murder of my brother in law in december. 

Mental illness is like any other illness. You seek help for it. A Christian can have a mental illness just as a Christian can have multiple sclerosis or diabetes. Rely on the Lord to enable the doctors to help you, to help you heal quickly. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus is there with you, you just cannot feel Him right now/at the time due to this condition. Remember that He loves you and dont accept the enemies lies that He is not with you. Yes, it is a spiritual battle - fight the negative and/or racing/intrusive thoughts with His truths. Reading *and meditating* on Psalms helps.

If you cant focus, you can practice mindfulness or grounding exercises - lots of techniques on the web about these.

You can and will get past this. Jesus is an Amazing Healer!

Isa 26:3,4 NKJV - You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. Trust in the LORD forever, For in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength.

Edited by Hindsfeet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,221
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

one thing you might try in reading the Bible is to get it on CD or download it in MP3 format and listen to it.   That is how I do most of my general reading of the Bible.

As to how to deal with the PTSD, I think that would be a bit more complicated.  I don't think I would be qualified to deal with it with the exception of telling you that 8 hours of sleep a night is extremely important....   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Hi! So I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. No I was not in combat but I have been sexually assaulted among other things. Anyways I guess I am asking how do you make mental illness and God fit  together?  I have heard Bible verses and cliches but what about practical advice. I understand it's gonna be easy to just shoot me a verse but in all honesty sometimes when I am depressed the Bible just doesn't  help. It can actually make things worse because satan knows scripture too.

Anyway I'm not saying don't send me verses but please if you do, send me how you interpret that verse also so there is no confusion. Also some practical advice would be welcomed like how do you cope with the fact that you begged God to help you when you were at your lowest and you felt no comfort? How do you cope with feeling that empty feeling like God has just gotten up and left? And how to read the Bible when your ADHD mind is all over the place and you just don't wanna sit still? And how do you deal with the constant pressure from people to be better when it's just not possible at the moment? What do I say to people who tell me "all things are possible with Jesus!" but he didn't help me when I was really hurting. Maybe there was some spiritual warfare going on and he was protecting me in other ways, that's a thought. But I just wish that I could be like other Christians who can go around all happy with a smile on and be like "Jesus is my strength!" 

If you are struggling with the same stuff, lemme know? I wanna make sure I'm not crazy. Advice, Bible verses, life stories, all of it is welcome!

Thanks! 

Hi JF

Sorry that you have gone through this experience.  I have depression and have written my story. It talks about what I went through and some things I found helpful as well as how people can help people with depression. It is very long so the best thing would be to email it to you if you are comfortable with that option. It is eight pages long in the word processor although I think I have set it to larger type. If you aren't comfortable with telling me your email address that is fine. I will try and make it brief and list a few points. While it is a long story I think it would be good to read although it may contain triggers. 

For now though let me say it is the job of fellow christians to help you through this. Sorry that some have given the impression that you have to cope on your own. That is not true. It isn't easy and can be an ongoing struggle for a long time. Working out strategies to cope when times are tough is helpful. That way you have a plan in place so you are not having to think about a solution when times are tough.

Of course if you are happy for me to email you my story then let me know via private message what your email address is. 

Edited by another_poster

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Jf I am praying. Mental illness of any kind is a chemical imbalance in the brain. With any other illness or disease Christians will rally around you and pray. The stigma mental illness brings somehow makes some Christians think you can just pray through it as it is some kind of weakness or lack of faith on your part. It isnt. It is a disease just like heart disease or anything else. So do not be discouraged when you get those post.

I agree with ayin in Listening to the bible and also Christian worship music can be helpful.

As we are not councelors we should be prayerful of the advice we are giving. Each person has different triggers. May God bless you and I am praying.