Cyrus

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I guess I should have qualified what I asked. By lawful profit I meant in the eyes of God. When do you feel it goes from what is acceptable profit and what is greed?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  257
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1959

I feel when our quest for profit harms others then we have gone wrong in the eyes of God.

Everything I have read on Fracking leads me to believe it is not as harmless as many claim, I feel we are doing damage to our children's future, and for what? Cheaper gas so we can drive more? Does not seem a fair trade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

There's no evidence to back your claims that fracking is causing this kind of damage to our environment.  For now, your fracking fears belong on the shelf right next to 3 Mile Island, and Global Warming.

All are sensationalist fear mongering, comparative to superstition and progressive orthodoxy.

First, criticism of big oil was out of concern for the environment, now it just about ranting against capitalism and corporate greed.  You aren't going to win anyone over by saying that profit is evil.  The only people that are swayed by that are the ones that have never had to work for a living.

Everyone wants to have an income that maintains harmony between wants and needs and, work and recreation.  Telling people they should learn to live with less is not a convincing strategy.

Hi jade,

The whole conversation in this thread reminds me of the judgmental self righteous attitude Christians are usually accused of having. 

Its easy for modern day Pharisees to sit behind a keyboard and say everyone that wants to earn a profit is evil and exploitive.  And, it is even easier to collectively condemn the entire country that doesn't agree with you.

Just remember, if you are an ideologue and you can't convince people with the facts, then you add bias to the facts.  If that doesn't work, you try to discredit your opponents with vitriolic attacks against their character and then try to manipulate the undecided masses with emotional appeals.  If that doesn't work, you then force people to comply, by using laws, regulations, civil suits, leins, and other financial blackmail to force them to submit.

To me, it's all transparent.  It is the same methodology used in rules for radicals and we all know this.

Why do we have laws that limit what can be dumped into rivers and lakes and streams? Those laws hurt profits and it seems to you that profit trumps all.

I have no problem with profit, I do have a problem with harming others to make your profit. It appears you and I differ in this view.

• Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

WFAA news article today about the recent unexplained rash of missing dogs in Wise county.

" If you back track it to the beginning of November, it's frightening. "

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird/2015/01/27/texas-missing-dogs/22393145/

The recent Irving earthquake swarm also began in November.

Wise county is a big hub of oil and gas production. God knows if there is a connection or not...

but many people believe odd animal behavior and a rash of missing/runaway pets happens

before a major earthquake. Here is a USGS webpage that discusses this interesting subject.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/animal_eqs.php

I have my own anecdotal story. I have lived in my Dallas home for 14 years and never had an

ant problem. But a year and a half ago at the same time as the Azle earthquake swarm began.

I had an ant invasion... I actually saw two huge columns of ants march into my house !! I tried

everything I could to get rid of them. Then they all left as suddenly as they came... at the same

time the Azle earthquakes swarm stopped. I have not seen ants since... until the current Irving

earthquake swarm began. My house is far from Irving and much farther from Azle... but I am

convinced the ants were disturbed by whatever is happening under North Texas.

Here is a related article

" Ants Lead the Way on Earthquake Prediction "

http://www.livescience.com/28672-ants-sense-earthquakes.html

Edited by Cyrus

I am amazed that people think we can do anything and everything to the planet without any adverse consequences.

Quote Sam Adams:  "I am amazed that people think we can do anything and everything to the planet without any adverse consequences."

Once again, an emotional appeal that won't sway me.

Quote Sam Adams:  "Why do we have laws that limit what can be dumped into rivers and lakes and streams?"

This is a strawman.  No one here is advocating repealing existing environmental laws that protect our water sources.  Thank you Erin Brokovich.

Water contamination from pollution is quantifiable.  Right now, your whole argument against fracking is built on hearsay, fear mongering, suppositions, theories and anecdotes.  None of which are quantifiable.

And if you are relying on research from organizations such as the Sierra Club, maybe you need to find a different source, since they are being funded by our Russian competitors.

Justin:

I am not trying to sway anyone, I am stating the fact of the matter. I didn't ask you to repeal anything, I asked why we had them since they decreased profit. If profit is king, why have laws that interfere with it?

The long term effects of Fracking are just now starting to be understood. I recently did work for a study that will be published later this year and the data is pretty clear, we are giving away our future for cheap gas today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I am amazed that people think we can do anything and everything to the planet without any adverse consequences.

You do realize that your very existence has adverse consequences on the earth. At what point is it ok to have adverse consequences to the planet? There are some who want to reduce the population of the world to less than one million. That would almost wipe out everyone living today. But it would save the planet, so they think. Your use of the computer, your basic use of electricity has an adverse effect on the planet. At what point do you think it is acceptable? When it no longer affects you?