• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

At my Tuesday men's group, we discussed rules the government has, will, or could impose on the church, such as homosexual marriages, etc..

It all comes down to the tax exempt status.

I proposed that if a church was unwilling to obey by the rules, then they should give up their tax exempt status, and then the rules would not apply to them.

Nobody wanted to hear that.

But what is right and what is wrong?

Is it right to keep the status, don't pay taxes, and then refuse to obey the rules?

Is that the example a church organization, representing Jesus Christ, should give to the world?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

The government has no authority to tell preachers what to preach, nor whom they can marry. Tax exemption has more to do with a church endorsing politicians. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,712
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

In theory tinky your right however the threat to lose tax exemption is indeed a real one that's been thrown around.

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

In theory tinky your right however the threat to lose tax exemption is indeed a real one that's been thrown around.

I think the government is fearful of revoking tax exemption for churches because they wouldn't want unrestrained preaching against "certain" politicians and party. 

Guest shiloh357

Tax exemption precludes a church or pastor of a church from publicly endorsing a candidate for office or for promoting a particular political position.

Gay marriage is not a political issue though it has entered into the realm of politics because politicians who have a vested interest in getting re-elected have made it a political issue.

Marriage is God's domain and He alone defines marriage in His Word.  For a pastor or a church, they cannot violate the precepts of Scripture for any reason.  If the government says, promote gay marriage, or marry a gay couple or else lose your tax exempt status, I don't know of a good, Bible-believing church that wouldn't be willing to sacrifice that exemption for the sake of honoring God and His Word.

There is no way on this earth that my church would endorse gay marriage and if we lose our tax exempt status over it, then fine.  Take it away.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Tax exempt status keys upon the church being a NON PROFIT organization, if it shows no profit it pays no taxes

Now the liberals might try to revoke the non profit from a church who will not perform gay marriage, but the Supreme Court would reverse that, unless someone they can change the constitution to include who you choose to have sex with as a civil right

Can you say "seperation of church and state?" Christians are to obey the leaders, except for when they conflict with GOD's laws and precepts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

At my Tuesday men's group, we discussed rules the government has, will, or could impose on the church, such as homosexual marriages, etc..

It all comes down to the tax exempt status.

I proposed that if a church was unwilling to obey by the rules, then they should give up their tax exempt status, and then the rules would not apply to them.

Regardless how I feel about gay marriage, I do not think that the gov. should be allowed to step in and tell the church what they can and can not do in regards to religious believes. I have known of churches who will not marry someone if they have been divorce. I know of churches who will not marry mix race couples. While I personally may disagree with this. It is their church's religious believes and the gov. stepping in to change that is against the Constitution  Of The United States!

As for tax exempt. Churches are tax exempt because they are to provide help to the people of their community. Handing out food, clothing and other such aid to people in need.

That is what I think. So thank you very much.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

There is no way on this earth that my church would endorse gay marriage and if we lose our tax exempt status over it, then fine.  Take it away.

Agree, 100%.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Our church pays tax. To be tax exempt, like our orphanage, we have to apply the be a NPO (non profit organisation), and once that is done (one needs a constitution, at least three directors (who cannot be part of the NPO), we can apply for tax exemption.

The beauty off this is that any donation made is tax exempt. It is a way for people to chose where their tax goes, because when submitting tax returns these donations are tax deductible.