• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Hello all,

I am curious as to any input people might have in regards to this tribe as far as why they are not listed amongst the 144,000 in the book of Revelation.  I am not looking for an eschatology debate on this, just wondering if there is something in the historical past that would explain this.

I can't find anything in scripture specifically, although I have researched and read some commentaries about it.  None of them really offer a satisfactory answer though, mostly it is speculation.  Perhaps this is a question that can only be answered with speculation, but that is why I am asking for input.

Here is the passage from Revelation in question, thanks in advance.

Revelation 7:From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,

from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,

from the tribe of Gad 12,000,

from the tribe of Asher 12,000,

from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,

from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,

from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,

from the tribe of Levi 12,000,

from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,

from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,

from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,

from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

Guest shiloh357

Dan was the tribe that first brought idolatry into Israel. So that tribe was eventually dissolved.  It is likely that Manasseh and Ephraim are there in place of Dan.   However, in Ezekiel 48 Dan is mentioned in the re-allotment of the tribal inheritance during the millennium.

So up until the millennium, it may be that those of the tribe of Dan are currently assimilated into the other tribes.  But God is restoring everything.  That means he will restore Dan in during the millennial age.  Note that in Ezek. 48, there is no allotment to the tribe of Joseph.   Joseph will be part of Manasseh an Ephraim.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I heard (from a spurious source, I must admit) that the people of Dan correspond today to roughly the current area of Tel-Aviv which is mainly secular and will not recognise their Jewish identity during the Tribulation. A poor contribution to this thread I know, but I'm just trying to spur the conversation.

Dan was the tribe that first brought idolatry into Israel. So that tribe was eventually dissolved.  It is likely that Manasseh and Ephraim are there in place of Dan.   However, in Ezekiel 48 Dan is mentioned in the re-allotment of the tribal inheritance during the millennium.

So up until the millennium, it may be that those of the tribe of Dan are currently assimilated into the other tribes.  But God is restoring everything.  That means he will restore Dan in during the millennial age.  Note that in Ezek. 48, there is no allotment to the tribe of Joseph.   Joseph will be part of Manasseh an Ephraim.

Hey shiloh,

Thanks for the response.  I also lean toward the same thoughts you shared in regards to Dan being the first to bring idolatry into Israel, as far as scripture goes it appears to be the best explanation.  I would also add though, that Dan could possibly be absent because they never claimed their rightful inheritance, which was originally the land of Philistia at the southwestern area of the promised land.  Instead they settled in the far north, which is odd considering that they were originally supposed to be the protectors of Israel, or the warrior tribe.  Yet they could not claim their own inheritance from the Philistines, which seems to indicate a lack of trust in God on their part.  Of course that is supposition on my part, but it seems a reasonable possibility as well.

Also I wanted to point out that Ephraim is not mentioned in Revelation either, Joseph and Manasseh are however.  Joseph was split into Ephraim and Manasseh I thought, so that seems somewhat odd to me as well.  In regards to the Levites, they were not given their own land, they were distributed throughout the other tribes, so it makes sense that in the re-allotment they would be, making 13 tribes instead of 12 with Joseph being split into two.  I wonder if maybe Dan is not sealed because they will possibly end up fighting in the end times?  Dan is definitely in the re-allotment, but I wonder if that isn't related to those from the past in regards to Dan, and not necessarily those from the present or future.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, the idolatry issue seems to be sound reasoning, most of the commentaries I've read see it that way as well as you and I.  So it seems to be a popular conclusion, and perhaps right on the money.  God bless you.

I heard (from a spurious source, I must admit) that the people of Dan correspond today to roughly the current area of Tel-Aviv which is mainly secular and will not recognise their Jewish identity during the Tribulation. A poor contribution to this thread I know, but I'm just trying to spur the conversation.

Hello oakwood,

Perhaps someone may add to that thought, I can't say I've heard that myself, as far as the Tel-Aviv part.  In one of the commentaries I read, it was suggested that they will not recognize their identity until the end as well, so apparently this is not a lone opinion.  We'll see if anyone has more to add in that regard.

Thanks for your input, God bless you.

:thumbsup:

Dan Is

Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.

Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD. Genesis 49:16-18

Still Loved

Now these are the names of the tribes. From the north end to the coast of the way of Hethlon, as one goeth to Hamath, Hazar-enan, the border of Damascus northward, to the coast of Hamath; for these are his sides east and west; a portion for Dan. Ezekiel 48:1

And Ephraim Too

Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the LORD. Jeremiah 31:20

Thank You LORD Jesus For Your Never Failing Love

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: Romans 11:26

:thumbsup:

Dan Is

Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.

Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD. Genesis 49:16-18

Stilled Loved

Now these are the names of the tribes. From the north end to the coast of the way of Hethlon, as one goeth to Hamath, Hazar-enan, the border of Damascus northward, to the coast of Hamath; for these are his sides east and west; a portion for Dan. Ezekiel 48:1

And Ephraim Too

Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the LORD. Jeremiah 31:20

Thank You LORD Jesus For Your Never Failing Love

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: Romans 11:26

Amen brother  :)

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all,

I am curious as to any input people might have in regards to this tribe as far as why they are not listed amongst the 144,000 in the book of Revelation.  I am not looking for an eschatology debate on this, just wondering if there is something in the historical past that would explain this.

I can't find anything in scripture specifically, although I have researched and read some commentaries about it.  None of them really offer a satisfactory answer though, mostly it is speculation.  Perhaps this is a question that can only be answered with speculation, but that is why I am asking for input.

Here is the passage from Revelation in question, thanks in advance.

Revelation 7:From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,

from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,

from the tribe of Gad 12,000,

from the tribe of Asher 12,000,

from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,

from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,

from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,

from the tribe of Levi 12,000,

from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,

from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,

from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,

from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

Is God is choosing in tune with Jesus' words: many are called but a few are chosen?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Dan is also (possibly) the tribe Judas Iscariot was from.

Genesis 49:16–17 (AV)

16Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.

17Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

And what is denoted as millennial allotment may actually be tribulational.