IGNORED

Appearance of evil

Alex Summers

Guest Teditis

Why is the default reaction whenever someone thinks differently it is just assumed they are not as spiritually mature as you?

Has it ever occurred it might be you that is viewing things incorrectly?

That's an interesting question actually, because I have seen this debate regarding the appearance of evil go in some pretty exclusive ways according to whoever is

determining what that appearance might be...not on this forum, but this is a relatively small forum

It seems that a more accurate translation of I Thess 5:22 may actually render differently then abstaining from the appearance of evil as follows:

A literal translation of the Greek might be: "from every form of evil be abstaining."

However, in the KJV, the translation most widely used in the English-speaking world until the mid 20th-century, the verse is translated: "abstain from every appearance of evil."

So, while the definition of what an appearance is may actually be subjective, it seems that scripture defines it simply by abstain from every form of evil

A particular and odious form of evil is conjecture about what another person might be up to without knowing all the facts.

Evil, can often be found in the mind of the beholder...apart from what is obvious of course

Excellent points!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Thanks Teditis...I thought it make for an interesting segway back into the op, but it seems that

generation bashing has taken hold

shame, because I would think it interesting to discuss that verse from a different angle instead of the wildly popular 'appearance' theme

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

Sevenseas, that translation actually makes a lot more sense, the "appearance of evil" is so subjective that it becomes almost meaningless unless it is being used as a tool to control the flock, then it can hold great power

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

Hello Allex, so many people have spoken rightly here and a word is enough for a wise. It is not safe to play with what can injure you even with a good motive. Please try to consider what Job in the Bible meant when he said: "I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?" Job 31:1.

There are things to be avoided in order not to enter into temptation. More so, there are other things to do to avoid temptation.

God will make us to be wise in Jesus name

Guest shiloh357

It's not a matter of controlling anyone.  It comes down to protecting the integrity of our relationship with God.  We are not to engage in anything that can be used against us, the question whether or not our profession of faith is real.

While we might engage in what appears to be a harmless association to us, the potential exists to use it against us later. 

It was this mentality that was a guiding principle in the life and ministry of Billy Graham.   He and the other members of his ministry made a pact never to be alone in private or public with any woman other than their wives.

Billy Graham would not even ride alone with a woman on an elevator.   His relationship to his wife was that important to him.  His relationship with God was that important to him.    It's one reason when every other ministry it seems get hit with sexual or financial scandal, the ministry of Billy Graham is so conspicuously free of scandal.  He avoided every appearance  or form of evil.   His character was sterling, and his conduct  was above reproach.

Today that level of character and integrity is quickly becoming a thing of the past.   Instead of seeing how far away from sin we can get,  we want to know how close we can dance with it without getting burned.

Sevenseas, that translation actually makes a lot more sense, the "appearance of evil" is so subjective that it becomes almost meaningless unless it is being used as a tool to control the flock, then it can hold great power

I agree.  I'm not getting involved in the meal scenario but I certainly know how busy little minds work in the subjective category  itwasntme_20.png

I actually do think it is better to avoid iffy situations, but appearance can and has been taken to extremes...alot of rumors start that way

Today that level of character and integrity is quickly becoming a thing of the past.   Instead of seeing how far away from sin we can get,  we want to know how close we can dance with it without getting burned.

That's a very broad brush IMO.  I don't think like that and most Christians I know do not think like that.  Let's not confuse liberal theology with subjective criteria

I'm sure you don't mean everyone

I am serious when I state that many false accusations are made in the name of having to label something we don't have all the facts on

Guest shiloh357

Generally what I said is true.  I didn't say everyone, but it is the overall tone of culture and it is becoming more and more prevalent in the church, as more and more Christians become liberal in their morality and theology.

Well I certainly agree about culture, but do we apply scripture to culture other then when considering our own modus operandi as believers?  the verse is addressed to

believers and I don't know, but I find it interesting to think that a better translation might be to abstain from every FORM of evil rather than appearance of evil

I mean evil is a strong word

And yes, i did mention liberal theology myself.....definately a decline in morality...almost like an 'oh well...if we want more people in church we need to agree with

culture'...which of course is the opposite thing a believer should do

But maybe in this discussion we could discount them...just for the sake of clarification...or not

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

Sevenseas, I agree it is good to avoid iffy situations, I guess again there will be some debate on what is iffy and what is not.

I find excessive and sometimes vulgar displays of wealth to be far more iffy and harmful to our witness than any innocent meal could ever be, but not many agree with me.

With my generation there is no assumption of sexual anything when you see two people of the opposite gender hanging out. I think that is a good thing, it is shameful a man and a woman cant be friends without everyone thinking the worst and their on church telling them they are wrong.