Joshua-777

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Yoga stripped of philosophical meaning and used as a series of poses meant as exercise only doesn't seem problematic to me.

Perhaps it is similar to the issue of food sacrificed to idols that Paul takes up in 1 cor 8, wherein he explains that we can eat such food unless it harms our conscience or that of our brother. .

1 cor 8:8,9

Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do.
But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I sit here scratching my head as I continue to read through these posts.  Take a look at the poses yoga uses, Google has many of them.  Then think back to your school days when you were in PE, or even when you was warming up in football, baseball, basketball and any other sport.  You were not told they were yoga poses, but guess what!  Yoga uses the same stretching techniques.  Here is one chart.  Any look familiar?  Some are the exact same stretches we were instructed to do, others are not.

yoga%20poses.JPG

Why is it that people are so against a stretching technique when that is all it is? I climb and use 18 of the above stretches every time I warm up before climbing.  I did not get them from any yoga class, nor am I trying to become one with any false god.  I am preparing myself for climbing so I do not suffer injury.  It is when you apply the spiritual part that is becomes wrong.

I have read many posts by members who like to watch the Harry Potter movies or read their books, claiming that they are just fiction and can do no harm. To me, that is far more dangerous to the spirit than stretching tight and sore muscles.

I think there is a difference is just stretching sore muscles and yoga.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I sit here scratching my head as I continue to read through these posts.  Take a look at the poses yoga uses, Google has many of them.  Then think back to your school days when you were in PE, or even when you was warming up in football, baseball, basketball and any other sport.  You were not told they were yoga poses, but guess what!  Yoga uses the same stretching techniques.  Here is one chart.  Any look familiar?  Some are the exact same stretches we were instructed to do, others are not.

yoga%20poses.JPG

Why is it that people are so against a stretching technique when that is all it is? I climb and use 18 of the above stretches every time I warm up before climbing.  I did not get them from any yoga class, nor am I trying to become one with any false god.  I am preparing myself for climbing so I do not suffer injury.  It is when you apply the spiritual part that is becomes wrong.

I have read many posts by members who like to watch the Harry Potter movies or read their books, claiming that they are just fiction and can do no harm. To me, that is far more dangerous to the spirit than stretching tight and sore muscles.

I think there is a difference is just stretching sore muscles and yoga.

I agree.  That is why I said it depends on how one approaches using the stretching, or poses (depending on which way you approach the discussion).    The problem arises in this discussion when people throw in blanket statements, as in if you do any of the above, you are practicing yoga, which is what I got out of some of the posts.  Blanket statements are always a lie.  It is the individual choice one makes that determines if there is a problem or not.