• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

A simple question to ask.

What does it mean by judging others? Many non-Christians deliberately try to find fault in Christians by telling us that we don't understand the Bible. As if we need non-believers to tell us how our faith works.

Many use Jesus as a cover to excuse all sins. For example, if a Christian points out that homosexuality is wrong, a non-believer may attack him, accuse him of hatred and remind him that Jesus was all about love.

Of course, I don't need an answer to this - I know the answer as we all should. Loving somebody doesn't mean accepting and ignoring their perpetual sins and Jesus does not want people to freely and willfully continue committing sins.

However it still begs the question, 'can we judge others?' If so, how and why?

I have my own thoughts on this but I would like to see what others think.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible does not say do not judge.There is a righteous kind of judgment.We are not to judge hypocritically Matthew 7:2-5.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

We are required to constantly make judgments -- about others, about what they teach, about what they promote,  about what they falsify.  That does not mean that we sit in judgment and draw conclusions about how God will deal with them when they are out of line. 

That also does not mean that we think of ourselves more highly than others. Rather, we assess all things, and accept only those things (and people) who pass the Scriptural tests.  We do that right here, and on any other forum.

The example of Paul judging Peter as being inconsistent with Gospel truth is a good example (Gal 2:11).  He openly and publicly rebuked Peter for being double-minded.  That did not destroy their love for each other.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Okay, two good answers so far from Bopeep and Ezra. I can disagree with neither of them.

I have a point myself to make or rather, an observation which I'll do soon.

you'll have to forgive me but I'm jumping between tasks at the moment. Keep the comments coming.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Okay, two good answers so far from Bopeep and Ezra. I can disagree with neither of them.

I have a point myself to make or rather, an observation which I'll do soon.

you'll have to forgive me but I'm jumping between tasks at the moment. Keep the comments coming.

Nice thread Oak and nice topic for debate.   :mgcheerful:

Check out 1 Cor 5, and then fit it all together - there is a time to judge, a time to refrain from it, but all is done in love, and God is the final judge, never forget that!

Guest LadyC

We are required to constantly make judgments -- about others, about what they teach, about what they promote,  about what they falsify.  That does not mean that we sit in judgment and draw conclusions about how God will deal with them when they are out of line. 

That also does not mean that we think of ourselves more highly than others. Rather, we assess all things, and accept only those things (and people) who pass the Scriptural tests.  We do that right here, and on any other forum.

The example of Paul judging Peter as being inconsistent with Gospel truth is a good example (Gal 2:11).  He openly and publicly rebuked Peter for being double-minded.  That did not destroy their love for each other.

i think that's the best response to this question that i've ever read.

ever.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

we cant judge others, but this is where people often confuse judgement with warning. Only God can judge, whether you go to heaven or to hell is between you and God. You can however, warn someone-say hey, the Bible says if you sin, God will send you to hell unless you ask for forgiveness, or even go to a brother and Christ and say hey thats wrong, as long as its done in love, thats not judgement. Thats doing exactly what the Bible told you to do.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

To judge can mean to condemn to hell. This we should not do. We should judge actions, opinions, teaching and such but not the person. We can not judge them righteously as God can because only He knows their hearts. We are in sin if we even try to do so.

But we are to be discerning.

Even the law has been bent for righteous reasons of mercy, such as pulling and animal out of a ditch on the Sabbath, or David and his men eating the Showbread in the Tabernacle when he was hungry. We can never judge righteously because we don't have the facts.

God judges mercifully in such cases. People tend to be harsh. That is why David said he would rather fall into the hands of God and be judged by Him.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

1 Cor 5:

3 For I, on my part, though absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged him who has so committed this, as though I were present. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

So, what do you suppose Paul is saying here? What do you think it even means to judge others?