ricky

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Omega your wife was able to stay home and homeschool your children?

Yes bopeep,

Our situation may have been a bit unusual. She had a 40/week job, working for a newspaper. There was a position open, which was 25 hours per week, but had full time benefits - full medical mainly. As it turned out, that 25 hour a week job, had things that needed to be done, but they did not always need 25 hours, but she basically got paid for all 25 anyway - sort of a part time / salaried position. It was a cut in pay, but, her pay was enough for us to take her wage, and hire a housekeeper to work 40 hours a week in our home. So, while we had to pay our normal bills out of my earnings, she was trading 25 hours of work out of the home, to receive 40 hours of work inside the home. Some of those 40 hours we got from our housekeeper, were actually used in  help with the babies (we had triplets at that time).

So, hours that now she did not have to spend on house work etc, were available for other things, We kept that arrangement for a number of years, then, when our triplets were old enough to begin schooling, my wife could spend the 2 to 3 hours a day, that usually required on their education.

In our state there is this weird law, that does not require any certain numbers of hours for the kids to be taught, but it does specify the subjects which must be taught, and it stated that the teaching must be between certain hours of the day.

What this means then, is that I was able to teach them some things, that are more suitable to my abilities and knowledge etc, but my teaching was at night, when I was off from work. Or sometimes on weekends etc. This helped make our kids more rounded, but did not technically count as home schooling, since the hours were not correct. So here, if parents both work in the daytime, they basically are not allowed to homeschool.

After we had triplets we had twins a few years later. That might sound like a lot, to have on our plate at first glance, but . . . we had 5 students, but only 2 grade levels. As the triplets got a bit older, they were able to be assigned work, and they could get out the books, and do their homework on their own, with a minimal of supervision, and in fact, we even had them doing some of the teaching of the twins.

We had independent testing done of the kids, to make sure we were reaching acceptable scholastic goals, and kept records of all these thing, in case the 'law' ever decided to investigate our home schooling. 

Home schooling was not illegal but it was not all that clear some years, what was acceptable. Interpretation was up to the state superintendent, to declare what he thought was legal, but, enforcement was up to local school districts. We made sure that our kids always outperformed  local public school standards, so they could not declare us unfit to teach, without in the same breath declaring the public schools unfit.

Anyway , it all worked out, no issues and at a certain point in all of that, we let our housekeeper / nanny go, and my wife quit her 25 hour a week job, and she stayed home as a full time mom/homemaker/wife.

You asked a simple question, but a simple answer of yes or no, was a bit more difficult, since it was not a constant thing over the years. In the later years, my wife and my kids were working at the YMCA, so that changes the answer some also. Does this answer your question, of just make it more confusing?

We learned to accept from God, what God provided, but also learned to be adaptable, and how to work with less material things, and be content with a more humble lifestyle, that many of our friends.

That is a great situation omega and you and your family were blessed.But you do know that very few families have that luxury and can not afford for the wife to stay home and homeschool.I do think that homeschooling is a wonderful opportunity now but unfortunately few can afford to do this.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

That is a great situation omega and you and your family were blessed.But you do know that very few families have that luxury and can not afford for the wife to stay home and homeschool.I do think that homeschooling is a wonderful opportunity now but unfortunately few can afford to do this.

I do not "know" that very few have that luxury, or that few can afford it.

The average houshold income in the U.S. is about $50,000 per year, and even higher for a family of four. 

So, without thinking hard about that number, I just use that as a starting point to realizine that average people, have a lot more money that they think sometimes.

In most families where both parents work, it is typical for the man to make more than the woman, but for the sake of a simple consideration, lets say then, that if the woman stayed home, that leaves $25,000.

I think that with a little careful planning, and some self control, home schooling on the income of one person, is quite doable. 

For some, it is a matter of changing mentality of a new car every 5 years, to never buying a new car, cutting the grocery bill, by eating off-brand foods and cutting junk food down, turning of the cable service and other measures. Recognizing the difference between need and wishes, can reduce a lot of costs out of one's budget.

How much do people spend on having the latest I phone, a flat screen, large TV,  (or any tv for that matter? What about buying clothes and other items, used, instead of new?

If one values those sorts of things, over the ability to home school, then sure, that is a personal choice and I understand that many people will not make that choice, and decide that lifestyle wins out. I get that, and that is their choice to make.

However, I also think that that average income number above is enough to live modestly, but comfortable, on half of it, remember, half of people have more than average, so there are a lot of people, who can afford it, they just choose not to.

I won't deny that we were blessed to be able to do what we did, but we never made made what an average U.S. family made, in any year, and we lived in Southern California, an expensive part of the country. We also raised 5 kids, so I am pretty sure it can be done. Then again, the most expensive car we ever bought, was $4000. Still have that car, and why not, it is only 18 years old! 

I do not "know" that very few have that luxury, or that few can afford it.

The average houshold income in the U.S. is about $50,000 per year, and even higher for a family of four. 

So, without thinking hard about that number, I just use that as a starting point to realizine that average people, have a lot more money that they think sometimes.

In most families where both parents work, it is typical for the man to make more than the woman, but for the sake of a simple consideration, lets say then, that if the woman stayed home, that leaves $25,000.

I think that with a little careful planning, and some self control, home schooling on the income of one person, is quite doable. 

For some, it is a matter of changing mentality of a new car every 5 years, to never buying a new car, cutting the grocery bill, by eating off-brand foods and cutting junk food down, turning of the cable service and other measures. Recognizing the difference between need and wishes, can reduce a lot of costs out of one's budget.

How much do people spend on having the latest I phone, a flat screen, large TV,  (or any tv for that matter? What about buying clothes and other items, used, instead of new?

If one values those sorts of things, over the ability to home school, then sure, that is a personal choice and I understand that many people will not make that choice, and decide that lifestyle wins out. I get that, and that is their choice to make.

However, I also think that that average income number above is enough to live modestly, but comfortable, on half of it, remember, half of people have more than average, so there are a lot of people, who can afford it, they just choose not to.

I won't deny that we were blessed to be able to do what we did, but we never made made what an average U.S. family made, in any year, and we lived in Southern California, an expensive part of the country. We also raised 5 kids, so I am pretty sure it can be done. Then again, the most expensive car we ever bought, was $4000. Still have that car, and why not, it is only 18 years old! 

I see your point.Many could downsize their way of living and get rid of a lot of stuff.But from what I have heard many families could not pay their mortgage or eat properly or both have automobiles if they gave up the wife's income and that is a family who does not have a lot of anything.Not every family makes a sizeable income every year.I guess they could both give up their automobiles and ride transit(some people do not have access to public transit because of where they live).Or the guy could ride a motorcycle or a bicycle.

I see your point.Many could downsize their way of living and get rid of a lot of stuff.But from what I have heard many families could not pay their mortgage or eat properly or both have automobiles if they gave up the wife's income and that is a family who does not have a lot of anything.Not every family makes a sizeable income every year.I guess they could both give up their automobiles and ride transit(some people do not have access to public transit because of where they live).Or the guy could ride a motorcycle or a bicycle.

Yes bopeep,

I do not think homeschooling is for everybody. Even in our case, it was not as though we were not stretched thin frequently. Foreclosure proceedings were begun on us a number of times. God always came through for us and met our needs. It takes a measure of faith and trust to be able to have things like that hanging over your head, and not suffer anxiety. Had we lost our house, we could have downsized, or rented, or lived in a mobile home, or even a trailer, or a mini-motorhome.

I was married twice, and my first wife, came from a family, where her dad, was  a university professor, yet their family lived in a small sailboat, that did not even have a dock. It was moored in a harbor channel, and they rowed to shore to go to work and school, every morning. She was not home schooled, but her family of four lived in a space equivalent to a large camping tent or less. It goes to show, that we can adjust our lifestyle way outside of what we  think to consider. 

Yes, a bicycle or motorcycle, would be one way to save money, but in bad weather, not a great only vehicle. I had a motorcycle myself up until the day the triplets were born. I felt that the danger to my life and limb was not acceptable, so I stopped riding so that my kids were more likely to have a father, and my wife a husband to help her raise a family.

There are a lot of things we need to weigh, to decide what is acceptable or not acceptable, in our individual situations, but the bottom line is that we sometimes have more options, than we realize. 

I do not think that there is a need to homeschool, a family can still be spiritual and Godly, and yet not home school. Those decisions are up to each family, and is between them and God.

In our case, we believed that the primary responsibility to educate children, belongs to the parents, not to the state. For some, it might be that they choose to take that responsibility and use it to decide to delegate that job, to the state.

Yes bopeep,

I do not think homeschooling is for everybody. Even in our case, it was not as though we were not stretched thin frequently. Foreclosure proceeding were begun on us a number of times. God always came through for us an met our needs. It takes a measure of faith and trust to be able to have things like that hanging over your head, and not suffer anxiety. 

Had we lost ourt house, we could have downsized, or rented, or lived in a mobile home, or even a trailer, or a mini-motorhome. I was married twice, and my first wife, came from a family, where her dad, was  a university professor, yet their family lived in a small sailboat, that did not even have a dock. It was moored in a harbor channel, and they rowed to shore to go to work and school, every morning. She was not home schooled, but her family of for lived in a space equivalent to a large camping tent or less. It goes to show, that we can adjust our lifestyle way outside of what we  think to consider. 

Yes, a bicycle or motorcycle, would be one way to save money, but in bad weather, not a great only vehicle. I had a motorcycle myself up until the day the triplets were born. I felt that the danger to my life and limb was not acceptable, so I stopped riding so that my kids were more likely to have a father, and my wife a husband to help her raise a family.

There are a lot of things we need to weigh, to decide what is acceptable or not acceptable, in our individual situations, but the bottom line is that we sometimes have more options, than we realize. 

I do not think that there is a need to homeschool, a family can still be spiritual and Godly, and yet not home school. Those decisions are up to each family, and is between them and God. In our case, we believed that the primary responsibility to educate children, belongs to the parents, not to the state. For some, it might be that they choose to take that responsibility and use it to decide to delegate that job, to the state.

I think it is great if one can afford it.I am very much an advocate of homeschooling the way our schools are today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I think that while there are homes where they can't afford for the wife to stay home, that those legitimate cases arnt as high as one may think, a lot has to do with bad budgeting. Cost of living is high where I'm at, but I kept my family afloat with only making $35,000 a year for quite awhile, with my wife staying home with 2 kids. I also own my own home and have 3 vehicles. Its safe to say I make more then that now, but the point is most Americans don't know how to budget. Sure I don't have fancy cars, but neither do I have large car payments. I have a nice home, but I bounce it off a foreclosure, and put a lot of work into it.

I suspect most families could live off of one income if they would learn to live inside of a budget.

I think that while there are homes where they can't afford for the wife to stay home, that those legitimate cases arnt as high as one may think, a lot has to do with bad budgeting. Cost of living is high where I'm at, but I kept my family afloat with only making $35,000 a year for quite awhile, with my wife staying home with 2 kids. I also own my own home and have 3 vehicles. Its safe to say I make more then that now, but the point is most Americans don't know how to budget. Sure I don't have fancy cars, but neither do I have large car payments. I have a nice home, but I bounce it off a foreclosure, and put a lot of work into it.

I suspect most families could live off of one income if they would learn to live inside of a budget.

Pat I am retired and I live a very simple life financially.I have to because I am on a fixed income.I do know that rents have doubled at least.This is because of supply and demand.I talked to someone who said they could not even find an apartment that was affordable.If a person wants a cell phone,and not everyone has to have one,you have a monthly bill.If a person wants a computer,and a person does not have to have one,they have a monthly bill.If a person wants an automobile you have insurance costs plus repair costs if something should go wrong not to speak of the regular maintenance costs or your car will not run like it should.Not everyone has a home that they own.I would love to have a home for myself and my son.I can only afford one car and that is costly.Yes,many people are living over what they really need to spend but others are barely making it with what they make.It is expensive to live with just the basic costs.Food sure is not cheap now either.Especially when you have a family.And that family are going to need clothes.I did not have to worry when my kids were younger because my husband was a very wealthy man but let me tell you it is not a walk in the park now and I am thinking my retirement income is maybe more than what most people make at a job.I need ever penny that comes in every month.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

bo, when I first got married, me and my wife were living on around $12,000 a year. And now, im my town, the cost of living is extremely high. An apartment which I paid 500 a month for in high school, is around $1000 a month. I understand the cost of living. I also know that in some cases, yes, some people plain can't afford it. But when I see a couple who are both working-and complaining about it, and theyre both driving brand new cars and carrying I-phones. well, Im sorry I have no sympathy for them. I ran into a single mom awhile back, who was living with her mom because "she couldn't afford her own place" well, initially, I felt sorry for her. But over time she kept complaining about having to share space with her mom, over and over, and I asked her why not get your own-she worked in the same line of work I do, with comparable pay. She told me she "couldn't afford it" upon further discussion, I found out she was paying 500 a month for her car, and drank every weekend. I sat down and explained to her that if she sold her car-and bought a older, reliable vehicle outright, and cut back on her drinking, she could easily afford rent. That didn't go over so well.

People today do not understand what it means to live within ones means. They want what they want-and have no planning for the future. Like all these people whining about not making money at mcdonalds. No doh, its an entry level job, if your 30 and the only job you qualify for is mcdonalds, Im sorry, thats no ones fault but your own. You should be seeking to improve your job skills and knowledge in order to make you more appealing to better jobs. Trust me, ive been there, when I first got married, I worked at a daycare for 6.50 an hour. between me and my wife who was working, we made less then $25,000 that first year combined. Want to know the irony? I paid all the bills out of my paycheck. All of hers-went to the extras like camping and fun stuff. As time moved in, I improved my job skills, moved into retail, and then manufacturing, and then from there Got my CDL and started driving, starting out in construction and moving from there into the job field. And even know, im continuing to train and improve my skills, the more skills I have, the more appealing I am to employers. As it is, I turn down 3-4 jobs a year I dont even have to apply for.

I dont say all this to brag, but to make a point. there are those who legitimatly cannot make it under one income. there are some areas where there is legitimatly no work. I understand that. But I think, the vast majority of homes that have both people working-could get by on one income, if they learned to live within their means and budget, and to continue to work to improve their life situation. Most people I know dont even comprehend that. They whine about having a lousy job, can't afford simple things like food, make no effort to improve their skills, jump jobs every 2 months, and then wonder why no one will hire them, and they come up with every excuse in the book. Especially if they have any sort of disability, whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, im not against those with disabilities-there are thsoe who legitimatly cannot work, but there are those who just use them as a crutch. at a car dealership I used to work at in high school, the best and highest paying mechanic at the dealership-only had one arm. And that is a very physical job that typically, requires 2 arms-yet this guy made do with a prosthetic, and not even the fancy ones we have today, it was nothing more then a piece of plastic with a hook on it, but yet was able to fix more cars better, and faster, then all 11 of our other mechanics combined.

If someone sets goals, and a plan to get there, more often then not they can achieve them if theyre willing to work for them, and live within their means. Are they going to get them right away? no. one of me and my wifes goals when we got married, was to have a house. It took us nearly 4 years, 5 moves, and a lot of work to get there. and no, I still dont drive the nicest cars, and theres things I want but dont have, but thats called living within ones means.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny that this is about homeschooling, eh?

Funny that this is about homeschooling, eh?

Well,it is about being able to afford homeschooling with one parent staying home.When I was a kid a lot of moms did not work.That won't fly in our economy today unless someone has a lot of money.