Bible verses that we can connect to?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Hello!  I am new to this forum - I am not a new Christian, but I am finding out how little I actually know about the Bible and am trying to seek God and figure out what it really means to have faith and trust God.  I deal with quite a bit of anxiety and hypochondria, and so much of this renewed interest is in the effort to clear out this anxiety and remove these fears/learn from this experience whatever it is I am supposed to learn!

I am hoping people can help me find some Bible verses.  I find myself, when reading certain stories or passages of the Bible that are directed to a particular person, feeling like the message was meant for that person, and doesn't necessarily apply to me.  One example is Joshua 1:9 - when God is telling Joshua not to be afraid because He is with him wherever he goes, I feel like my automatic response is that God was with Joshua, but that doesn't mean He is with me, or feels the same about me. 

Can anyone help me here with suggestions of stories or verses that can help reconcile this disconnect in my head?  In theory I know that God loves me, but I do struggle with my worthiness and I think if I could find some scriptures to back this up, it would be helpful!!  Thanks!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.72
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Welcome, mama.

God Bless you.

Your brother in Christ,

KPaulG.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

mamav said in post 1:

Hello!

Hello!

mamav said in post 1:

I am new to this forum . . .

Welcome! May you be wonderfully blessed by the people here.

mamav said in post 1:

One for you (and also the rest of us):

"Commit thy works unto YHWH, and thy thoughts shall be established" (Proverbs 16:3).

mamav said in post 1:

As believers, we should strive to connect to all Bible verses. For:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

And:

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4b).

mamav said in post 1:

I am not a new Christian, but I am finding out how little I actually know about the Bible . . .

The best way to study the Bible, as a whole, is simply to read every word of it (Matthew 4:4) over and over again. It ends up explaining itself once what it teaches has become engrained in your memory, and you see the connections between verses regarding something in one place in the Bible and other verses regarding that same thing in other places in the Bible. It is by comparing and combining related verses from different places in the Bible that we arrive at correct doctrine (Isaiah 28:9-10; 1 Corinthians 2:13).

It is also a good practice to always end each reading session with a prayer for understanding and remembrance of the whole Bible.

One great way to read the whole Bible, over and over, is to think of it as 7 volumes:

1. Genesis to Deuteronomy
2. Joshua to Esther
3. Job to Song of Solomon
4. Isaiah to Malachi
5. Matthew to Acts
6. Romans to Philemon
7. Hebrews to Revelation

You can read a chapter in each volume every day. This will keep you current in every part of the Bible. After a while, there won't be any part that you haven't read recently enough to remember what it teaches. When you reach the end of a volume, simply start again at the first chapter of that volume. In this way, you will be cycling through smaller volumes like #6 and #7 much more often than larger volumes like #2, but the smaller volumes are so much more dense with doctrine that it is profitable to read them over and over more often.

Also, you can listen to recordings of people reading the Bible out loud whenever you need to keep your eyes on something else while you listen (such as keeping your eyes on the road while you drive, or on a cutting board while you are preparing food, or on your clippers while you are trimming a hedge). In this way, you can listen to the Bible throughout the day, whenever you don't need to be thinking about something else (such as at your workplace or school). Also, you can listen to the Bible even while you are going to sleep, so that it will become part of even your subconscious mind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  03/31/1955

I think everyone of us has struggled . I am not wise or learned as many of the members of Worthy .

I suggest that you read the gospel of John , pray that our Lord will open your heart and mind , so that it will speak to you now,

The word of God is ,just that ,it is as relevant now as it was 2000 years ago ,and it speaks to each of us ,wherever we are ,in

whatever circumstance we find ourselves .

The word of God is for our today and our tomorrow , just as it was for Joshua , Moses , Noah and all who loved God and followed

him .

God bless you

Praying

Thank you, everyone, for all of this awesome input!  It's so awesome to have a platform to be able to share and get feedback!  yay!  I've got some reading to do!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Welcome!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

Welcome to worthy;this site is a wonderful gift from God to us,

All the above replies are very intresting;

One of the best decision to make in life is drawing neigh to God;

I would have advice you to establish a personal relationship with God,it is only when you give God attention that He will give you direction,

A personal relationship with God, will enable you to hear from God expressly;sometimes,the Holy Spirit will direct you to paticular chapter or vers that you needed at that moment;one of the easiers way God speaks to us,is through the scripture,God can use any passage from the scripture to speak to you;what matter is the level of your understanding,you have to be fervent in prayer,

this passages will help you;

Matthew 5:1-48" matthew 6:25-34"

1Thessalonians 4:3" John 14:1"

The bible said that,the entrance of the word of God,giveth light and grant understanding to the ignorant.

Psalm 119:130"

Just submit yourself to the lead of the Holy Spirit;He will work wonders in your life,you need to pray more often.

Thanks again to everyone for the awesome help.  I have a questions about one particular verse, and I am hoping people can help shed some light:

Romans 8:28 (NIV)

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I know this is often used as comfort in "bad" times of struggle and pain, to know that God is using everything for your good, but my question is about the last part of the verse - the "who have been called according to his purpose."  What does that mean, exactly?  It feels like a conditional statement, and not sure if that applies to me!

Thanks for input!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

mamav said in post 9:

It feels like a conditional statement, and not sure if that applies to me!

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

The phrase "them who are the called according to his purpose" applies to you if you are a believer.

For Romans 8:28b applies to the elect (Romans 8:29,33), and anyone who is a believer is elect (Acts 13:48b).

That is, the elect are those individuals, whether Jews or Gentiles, who were chosen (elected) and predestinated by God before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4-11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13), before they were born (Romans 9:11-24), to become initially saved by faith at some point during their lifetime (Acts 13:48b). This initial salvation is possible only because of Jesus' sacrifice (Romans 3:25-26), which was also foreordained by God before the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8; 1 Peter 1:19-20).

Everyone on his own is wholly corrupt (Romans 3:9-12), and so it is impossible for people on their own to ever believe in Jesus and the gospel and be initially saved (1 Corinthians 15:1-4, John 20:31; 1 John 5:13) through their own will (Romans 9:16, John 1:13, John 6:65) or their own intellect (1 Corinthians 1:18 to 2:16). Unsaved people can't understand the gospel (1 Corinthians 2:14; 1 Corinthians 1:18) because only initially saved people, who have received the miraculous gift of some measure of God's own Spirit, can understand it (1 Corinthians 2:11-16).

The nonelect can't ever believe in Jesus and the gospel and be initially saved, even when they are shown the truth (John 8:42-47, John 10:26, Matthew 13:38-42), because the ability to believe in Jesus and the gospel comes only to the elect (Acts 13:48b) wholly by God's grace as a miraculous gift from God (Ephesians 2:8, John 6:65; 1 Corinthians 3:5b, Romans 12:3b, Hebrews 12:2) as the elect read (or hear) God's Word the Bible (Romans 10:17, Acts 13:48, Acts 26:22-23), just as the ability to repent comes only as a miraculous gift from God (2 Timothy 2:25, Acts 11:18). Satan blinds the minds of unbelievers so that on their own they can't repent and acknowledge the truth of God's Word (2 Corinthians 4:4; 2 Timothy 2:25-26).

mamav said in post 9:

It feels like a conditional statement, and not sure if that applies to me!

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

The phrase "them that love God" applies to you if you obey God.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me . . .

John 14:24
He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings . . .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

naturally repent,  pray constantly, with more and more thanksgiving every day,

and read first john chapters 1 through 5 in a language you understand, praying that

yahweh will instruct you(see this also in the NT when you read it, that yahweh will himself instruct you when you are his).

in first john, it is written, that it is written for the purpose that you may know if you are his or not.

Hi Jeff :)

Can you explain to me why you never write God in your post but always Yahwey?