Amazon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

I think there are a lot worse companies than Amazon to worry about.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.I am wondering if I should :(

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/15/technology/amazon-new-york-times/index.html

I've worked enough temp-to-hire jobs in my time that perhaps some might call me cynical about them. The truth is you are essentially treated as a throw-away. No different than office supplies like a box of paper - when its used up it is thrown in the bin or recycled. Amazon is not the only corporation that takes advantage of this, so whether or not you do business with them any more is up to you. You might be surprised how many local companies take advantage of temp labor.

The temp agencies take advantage of the high number of people looking for work and you get this kind of thing going on. The Corporations make out like bandits on this because the can use you & abuse you for up to 6 months in some cases (depending on the state, etc.) before they have to spend money on benefits for a full time employee. I wasted almost 2 years trying to keep a career in the electronics industry alive while all job openings were temp positions. It was a waste of time with no insurance or any other benefits. I've seen cases where they hired us for "90 days temp-to-hire" and we were laid off for day 91 - then told we could come back the next day on a new 90 day period. Once they did it over a weekend and didn't tell anyone. Amazon is not the only company doing this - and probably skirting around the labor unions too, depending on the state. I'm thinking one solution would be to outlaw "temp to hire" period because of all the abuses that go on. Or perhaps its time for Labor Unions to start gaining members again.

If you like unions then don't vote for Scott Walker.I guess he is really against them.

Its not really about whether I like unions or not. It just strikes me how history has a habit of repeating itself. Fallen world, and all that.

I'm not even concerned about who to vote for as yet . . . the elections are over a year away and the number of candidates is ridiculous. Gunna let things shake out for a long while before even considering that. Break out the popcorn in the meantime. :)

Edited by walla299

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

There is a way around that.  Set workloads and don't hire more people to do the job...  if someone isn't pulling their weight others have to work harder to get the job done...  if job not done everyone gets cut back on bonuses.  When you make it a burden on others they will ask the union to get rid of the person.

This is a lot easier said than done. In an ideal world that is what should happen. If they know exactly what the workload is and how much to hire then we wouldn't need the HR department.

Edited by udx

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I would expect hard feelings if the employees were sold a different environment during recruiting or at the actual pre-employment interview.  The article did not express how the employees arrived at such a situation.

I have always been pro-employer during my 45 years of working experience. Even though most of my career was in the Teamsters, I was only a union member because it was required by the company.  I can tell you that being a truck driver even with union protection, EVERY minute had to be accounted for, via a log book, computer, and some times both.  The pay compensation and benefits were such that the constant monitoring by the company could be rationalized. 

I once knew this lady who worked for Fed Ex.She said it was grueling.They had to deliver those packages on time and fast.

It IS grueling.  My son left a job as a financial analyst/advisor to work as a driver for UPS.  He makes great money but his job hinges on speed, physical strength and dependability.  Very few make the cut with them or Fed Ex, as drivers, and they ARE teamsters.  He says the salary and benefits make the high stress working conditions worth it.  If those at Amazon can't cut it, there are hundreds of people lined up to take their places.  I wouldn't stop doing business with them just because some of their workers say they're a bad employer.  These workers aren't prisoners and are free to leave. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

I would expect hard feelings if the employees were sold a different environment during recruiting or at the actual pre-employment interview.  The article did not express how the employees arrived at such a situation.

I have always been pro-employer during my 45 years of working experience. Even though most of my career was in the Teamsters, I was only a union member because it was required by the company.  I can tell you that being a truck driver even with union protection, EVERY minute had to be accounted for, via a log book, computer, and some times both.  The pay compensation and benefits were such that the constant monitoring by the company could be rationalized. 

I once knew this lady who worked for Fed Ex.She said it was grueling.They had to deliver those packages on time and fast.

It IS grueling.  My son left a job as a financial analyst/advisor to work as a driver for UPS.  He makes great money but his job hinges on speed, physical strength and dependability.  Very few make the cut with them or Fed Ex, as drivers, and they ARE teamsters.  He says the salary and benefits make the high stress working conditions worth it.  If those at Amazon can't cut it, there are hundreds of people lined up to take their places.  I wouldn't stop doing business with them just because some of their workers say they're a bad employer.  These workers aren't prisoners and are free to leave. 

Yes,that is what I hear Morning.It is stressful and time is essential.But you can say that many are free to leave if they do not like the job.Jobs are few and far between right now.People have families to support.They may look for another job while staying with what they have but it may be a long time before they find something else.I have found that managers and supervisors use this.They say "fine just try to find something else".

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Yes,that is what I hear Morning.It is stressful and time is essential.But you can say that many are free to leave if they do not like the job.Jobs are few and far between right now.People have families to support.They may look for another job while staying with what they have but it may be a long time before they find something else.I have found that managers and supervisors use this.They say "fine just try to find something else".

I guess it depends on where you live; jobs are plentiful down here even with the oil industry layoffs.  I wouldn't stay in a job I hated. If you have a family to support, of course, you have to find another job before you quit.  

I guess it depends on where you live; jobs are plentiful down here even with the oil industry layoffs.  I wouldn't stay in a job I hated. If you have a family to support, of course, you have to find another job before you quit.  

Jobs are far and few between in my neck of the woods.My daughter is very well qualified and she has been looking for another job for a couple of years.That is what I have been hearing all around.Well,if you want a job at McDonalds or Taco Bell they are a dime a dozen.Head hunters are very expensive.

Guest shiloh357

Very true.   There are NO fat UPS drivers that I have ever seen.  They are lean and they run to the door.  I have ordered books for my classes and the drivers are sweating and in some cases out of breath while I am signing for my package.  I can hear them breathing!  They have to hustle.

But they chose to work that job and they stay there because the job has something to offer them.  I bet they are tired when they get home.

Very true.   There are NO fat UPS drivers that I have ever seen.  They are lean and they run to the door.  I have ordered books for my classes and the drivers are sweating and in some cases out of breath while I am signing for my package.  I can hear them breathing!  They have to hustle.

But they chose to work that job and they stay there because the job has something to offer them.  I bet they are tired when they get home.

Yes,they know what will be expected of them when they are hired.The pay and benefits are good.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

Yes,they know what will be expected of them when they are hired.The pay and benefits are good.

The pay and the benefits are fantastic.