• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.16
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

The NIV is an absolute abomination. 

?

Why Would A Believer Publish That The Very Word Of God

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New American Standard Bible)

Is An Absolute Abomination

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New International Version)

When It Really Is

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

The Absolute

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (English Standard Version)

Truth

For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. John 3:16 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

I Ask

God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life. John 3:16 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

Beloved, This Ought Not Be

And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times. Psalms 12:6 (New International Version)

~

IMO, To Misuse Our Treasured King James Bible As A Weapon

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law, Galatians 5:22-23 (King James Version)

Against The Holy Spirit's Book Is Unwise

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Ephesians 6:17 (King James Version)

At The Very Least

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16 (King James Version)

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The longer I live and seek to understand the God that made me the more I begin to understand things like all authority being given by him.  I begin to wonder just how much authority James had to authorize a version of scripture deemed acceptable for use by the English speaking peoples.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1

The longer I live and seek to understand the God that made me the more I begin to understand things like all authority being given by him.  I begin to wonder just how much authority James had to authorize a version of scripture deemed acceptable for use by the English speaking peoples.  

Sounds like a controversy in the making :P

Are you ready to take on the heat?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

What I am ready to do is seek to obey the one who made me :P but seriously I do understand that it is God who gives authority unto men for his purpose.  I wonder at times about his ways.

What I am ready to do is seek to obey the one who made me :P but seriously I do understand that it is God who gives authority unto men for his purpose.  I wonder at times about his ways.

I do not really know the history of KJV, nor why it is called the Authorized Version. Had done some research about it years ago, when I was choosing my preferred version, but I'd already forgotten much about what I learned :(

"Have you read the Jehovah's Witnesses' Bible? One day I read to my church a number of verses. I asked them if they sounded right. None agreed. They agreed to a one that something was wrong. Then I showed them the camouflaged Bible I read from was a JW's New World Translation. Everyone was relieved. Then I told them: "Every verse you heard is essentially the same in the NIV." Mouths were stopped. People gasped. It was a great effect! I had made a point."

As it happens, I have read parts of the New World Translation (the JW's Bible).

Is it "essentially the same as the NIV"?

NOT AT ALL! They are poles apart doctrinally, and the NWT is terrible as a translation anyway.

Yes, the person quoted was indeed "making a point" - but the point made was a gross distortion of the truth.

Yeah, comparing the NWT to the NIV is simply dishonest or done in major ignorance. The NWT deliberately denies the Deity of Christ and distorts major Orthodox Christian doctrines. The NIV promotes every Orthodox Christian doctrine. In fact, I challenge anyone to show where it teaches any of our tenants of faith different from the King James or any other respected version.

The NIV is an absolute abomination.  Not only does it leave out part of the text, as most modern English Bibles do, but the translators intentionally changed part of the text to remove references to God as male.  They were creating what some call " a non-sexist Bible," to cater to feminists, and the NIV was condemned by people that normally are ok with modern translations.  First they came out with the TNIV, but after it was soundly rejected, they went back to calling it the NIV, but they didn't correct the errors.  I don't have a NWT or NIV after the changes were made to compare them, so I am not going to say they are similar or very different, but I do know that both have one thing in common.  They both altered the text to fit an agenda, therefore they are both abominations. 

This is part of the problem: people repeat what they have read (or heard) without checking the facts.

I've read the latest NIV from end to end and have yet to find a text that has "removed references to God as male".

I suppose I will have to go out and get a copy of the latest version of the NIV, as I have gone out and bought other modern English Bibles to make the comparison.  So be it.  I do know what they did in the TNIV, because of the outcry against it from mainstream Bible teachers. 

@ Dakilla,  I am sorry to hear that you cannot get a NKJV Bible in your country.  What about the KJV Bible?  That is what I use.  Something else you might consider is ordering a NKJV Bible through something like Amazon.com. 

The majority of the modern English translations use the Egyptian and Alexandrian manuscripts and if something is not found in them, they leave them out of the text, even if all the other manuscripts include them.  When the canon was created, it included the entire text that was included in the KJV Bible, so when you remove those verses, you are destroying the credibility of the canon.  I have no reason to trust it if I accept these modern English translations. 

The first KJV Bible that came out is still sold in the United States, and it is called the 1611 King James Version Bible.  I have and use it.  The spelling of words is in old English, so there was a more modern version put out later, that changed little except for the spelling of words.  The 1611 King James Version Bible also had Roman numerals, and included the Apocrypha in the middle.  The Authorized Version doesn't have that.  In either case, the entire text of the 66 books of the canon are preserved. 

The NIV is an absolute abomination. 

?

Why Would A Believer Publish That The Very Word Of God

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New American Standard Bible)

Is An Absolute Abomination

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New International Version)

When It Really Is

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

The Absolute

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (English Standard Version)

Truth

For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. John 3:16 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

I Ask

God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life. John 3:16 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

Beloved, This Ought Not Be

And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times. Psalms 12:6 (New International Version)

~

IMO, To Misuse Our Treasured King James Bible As A Weapon

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law, Galatians 5:22-23 (King James Version)

Against The Holy Spirit's Book Is Unwise

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Ephesians 6:17 (King James Version)

At The Very Least

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16 (King James Version)

Love, Your Brother Joe

Why would a believer defend something that even mainstream Bible teachers like James Dobson condemned for changing the text?  The people that put out the NIV came out with the TNIV, and they intentionally altered the text.  There is no denying that.  There was so much bad publicity that they changed it back to calling it the NIV, but it is not the NIV that was put out before the TNIV.  If you are going to take that position, why not accept the New World Translation?  You obviously don't care if the text is perverted, so why not accept that one too? 

BTW, I reject the notion that the Holy Spirit has anything to do with the NIV.  Are you claiming it is a divinely inspired translation?  Good luck making that case. 

@ Butero. KJV is also popular here. I actually have two copies of it. A small one for devotional reading, and a large one as a desktop reference. But as I've indicated earlier in the thread, I'm not yet ready to dig into it because of its old-fashioned language.

I actually have a NKJV, which I found in a used-books store, but it is a One-Year Bible (rearranged for daily readings) and has no footnotes, so I don't use it much. By the way, I don't have yet a credit card, so I can't order a NKJV from Amazon or other online stores :)

No matter, I'm still studying the Scriptures in a general way, and ESV suffices for that. In the future, when I am ready to dig in deep, KJV and NKJV will be among those that I'll be studying—you can be sure of it.

@ Butero. KJV is also popular here. I actually have two copies of it. A small one for devotional reading, and a large one as a desktop reference. But as I've indicated earlier in the thread, I'm not yet ready to dig into it because of its old-fashioned language.

I actually have a NKJV, which I found in a used-books store, but it is a One-Year Bible (rearranged for daily readings) and has no footnotes, so I don't use it much. By the way, I don't have yet a credit card, so I can't order a NKJV from Amazon or other online stores :)

No matter, I'm still studying the Scriptures in a general way, and ESV suffices for that. In the future, when I am ready to dig in deep, KJV and NKJV will be among those that I'll be studying—you can be sure of it.

I wouldn't like a Bible arranged for daily reading either.  What you may want to do is get a debit card and pre-load it to do your ordering on-line.  I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart where you are, but they have their own debit cards.  I keep one just to use for on-line orders.  That way, it only contains a limited amount of funds, so if the number is stolen, the thief won't get much.  It rarely has more than a couple of hundred dollars on it at any given time. 

Anyway, I understand your dilemma.  I am used to being able to purchase nearly any kind of Bible I want at stores all over the place.  The NKJV is very common here, and available at most Wal-Mart stores.  Best wishes to you in your studies. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  20

I do not really know the history of KJV, nor why it is called the Authorized Version. Had done some research about it years ago, when I was choosing my preferred version, but I'd already forgotten much about what I learned :(

Most Christians do not know the history of the KJV, and they have also been fed anti-KJV propaganda in order to promote modern versions. It was primarily the Puritans (the most conservative Christians within the Church of England) who approached James 1 for a new translation which would avoid some of the pitfalls of the previous English translations, and would in fact be recognized as the leading translation. It is called "the Authorized Version" because it was authorized by the king as the only translation to be used in the churches within the Church of England (a state church).  

The quality of this translation was such that it not only molded the English language, but is recognized as a classic by linguistic scholars. Even the promoters of the Revised Version acknowledged its outstanding position among Bible translation. More importantly, God has greatly blessed this faithful translation in bringing multitudes to Christ and establishing the faith of multitudes of Christians over 400 years throughout the world. A recent survey shows that the majority of Americans who read their Bibles use the KJV. It is also interesting to note that any time Hollywood movies quote the Bible, they use the language of the KJV.

Some people have mentioned the NKJV, and it was originally touted as an update version of the KJV.  But as usual, the people who worked on this translation went beyond the bounds of their mandate and introduced unnecessary changes to reduce the reliability of this translation. The flaws of the NKJV would require a separate discussion.