Opinions Wanted--awkward prayer request

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I have been attending a prayer group for about six months.These folks have been meeting for some time and know each other well. They Re a tight knit group, but are all very gracious and welcoming. The leaders are clearly devout Christians and use the Bible as the platform for all the meetings.

There is one young woman in the group who is very discerning and often claims to have a word of knowledge. She does seem to know how to pray for people.  I felt that she was gifted in many ways by the Holy Spirit. Now I'm not so sure.

Today she told the group that the Holy Spirit had told her there was a couple In the church who were having problems with "intimacy" and that the woman could not respond to her husband. Now the husband  was becoing frustrated with her and the marriage was in peril. The leader asked her to lead the group in prayer for the couple, then another woman said this was a picture of the church and Jesus, that we could not respond to him.

i was very uncomfortable with this, I do not believe the Holy Spirit prompts us to pray for the sex lives of others. I was surprised that no one else seemed bothered by this--and perhaps there were others who felt as I did, but I certainly didn't go around asking.  I don't think it would do any good to discuss this with the leaders, they are quite in awe of this woman, as was  I until today. What are your thoughts?

It does sound like with the Word of Knowledge this woman needs to seek the Word of Wisdom.    Sometimes people used in the gifts do make mistakes (the instruments are only human) and get information they received in prayer which they usually receive simply in order to pray... mixed up with what they should share and where.  This would have been better left in her private prayers.    At least she didn't mention names which would have been very imprudent.  Careful not to judge her by this lack of discernment in how to  use the gifts and not to be in awe of anyone who is used like this.  But when you are uncomfortable there is usually good reason.  Pray for her to use more discernment in what she shares.  Also pray for her marriage..the couple may be her and her husband.  ????