Opinions Wanted--awkward prayer request

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have been attending a prayer group for about six months.These folks have been meeting for some time and know each other well. They Re a tight knit group, but are all very gracious and welcoming. The leaders are clearly devout Christians and use the Bible as the platform for all the meetings.

There is one young woman in the group who is very discerning and often claims to have a word of knowledge. She does seem to know how to pray for people.  I felt that she was gifted in many ways by the Holy Spirit. Now I'm not so sure.

Today she told the group that the Holy Spirit had told her there was a couple In the church who were having problems with "intimacy" and that the woman could not respond to her husband. Now the husband  was becoing frustrated with her and the marriage was in peril. The leader asked her to lead the group in prayer for the couple, then another woman said this was a picture of the church and Jesus, that we could not respond to him.

i was very uncomfortable with this, I do not believe the Holy Spirit prompts us to pray for the sex lives of others. I was surprised that no one else seemed bothered by this--and perhaps there were others who felt as I did, but I certainly didn't go around asking.  I don't think it would do any good to discuss this with the leaders, they are quite in awe of this woman, as was  I until today. What are your thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

It sounds like she is being a busy body and not minding her own business and is using the Holy Spirit as an excuse.You always need to test what someone is saying with scripture.Asking prayer for the couple is all that was needed not the details of their problems.It sounds like the leaders are deceived.That is not good.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

just my opinion, but it would not bother me to pray for them in the least  as long as no names were used....    it's not the kind of thing you go openly praying about unless those involved ask you to.     but sort of like an unspoken request would be ok.    I don't like the transition to the church and Jesus though.   The people need counseling and one should try and make that happen.

Edited by other one

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

It sounds like she is being a busy body and not minding her own business and is using the Holy Spirit as an excuse.You always need to test what someone is saying with scripture.Asking prayer for the couple is all that was needed not the details of their problems.It sounds like the leaders are deceived.That is not good.

I agree and am concerned too.  I don't think the Holy Spirit operates like that, opening room for speculation that could result in harm from possible gossip.   

Sugarbaker, don't ignore the alarms going off in your head.    Pray and seek God on how to proceed.   

I have to ask, did she name the couple?

If she didn't, it was so general there is bound to be some couple that would fit the description and so can it really be a gift of knowledge in operation rather than something that originated with herself?

And remember, do not let the gifts put you in awe of anyone.  The gifts are not from themselves, they are from God.

And do not assume that because someone appears to operate in the gifts of God that they have a close relationship with God or that God approves what they say and do.

Edited by thereselittleflower

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I have no issue with openly praying for a restoration of intimate physical union between a husband and wife in a prayer group as it is a picture of Christ coming in unto his bride and any couple suffering from lack of physical intimacy reveals a deeper issue with their marriage.  The scriptures are clear concerning these things though they wisely use words above the head of those without understanding.

I pray the Lord God Almighty whose compassion never fails would reveal unto this couple where they are lacking and what stands in the way of their union!

Guest shiloh357

I have been attending a prayer group for about six months.These folks have been meeting for some time and know each other well. They Re a tight knit group, but are all very gracious and welcoming. The leaders are clearly devout Christians and use the Bible as the platform for all the meetings.

There is one young woman in the group who is very discerning and often claims to have a word of knowledge. She does seem to know how to pray for people.  I felt that she was gifted in many ways by the Holy Spirit. Now I'm not so sure.

Today she told the group that the Holy Spirit had told her there was a couple In the church who were having problems with "intimacy" and that the woman could not respond to her husband. Now the husband  was becoing frustrated with her and the marriage was in peril. The leader asked her to lead the group in prayer for the couple, then another woman said this was a picture of the church and Jesus, that we could not respond to him.

i was very uncomfortable with this, I do not believe the Holy Spirit prompts us to pray for the sex lives of others. I was surprised that no one else seemed bothered by this--and perhaps there were others who felt as I did, but I certainly didn't go around asking.  I don't think it would do any good to discuss this with the leaders, they are quite in awe of this woman, as was  I until today. What are your thoughts?

The Lord would not reveal something like that to be shared in public.  If anything the Lord would move on that couple.  They can hear from God as well as anyone else.  God does not embarrass people.   Even though names are not mentioned, people will start speculating as to which couple it might be and will look for signs that any couple might be going through a rough patch in their marriage and make all kinds of unwarranted judgments.    Folks don't need to be occupied with trying to ferret out which couple is having issues. 

Davida, this sounds very much like a video series I am watching, "Wide is the Gate," which exposes counterfeit Christianity that is so widespread today. I'm new to this board and wondering if anyone else has heard of this series. I tried searching and got 518 responses.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

Davida, this sounds very much like a video series I am watching, "Wide is the Gate," which exposes counterfeit Christianity that is so widespread today. I'm new to this board and wondering if anyone else has heard of this series. I tried searching and got 518 responses.

Yes,there is a ton of counterfeit Christianity and Churches today.

Davida, it is an amazing series. Not really any big surprises, but more confirmation on what I have long suspected. For years I felt like a second rate Christian because I had not had all those "experiences" like the hyper Charimatics. Now that I see it for what it really is, I know I have been protected over the years.

You mentioned a "word from God." I am becoming less and less enchanted with this whole concept. I do believe the Holy Spirit guides us when we pray and gives us the words when witnessing to others, but it seems like we so often run the risk of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or abuse of the gifts. It's a very fine line. 

This person is very much into "experiences" and at one point tried to teach me to speak in tounges. I told her it was not one of my gifts  and if God wanted me to have it, it would not have to be taught to me. 

Thereselittleflower, she did NOT name the couple. She did mention that the woman's problem was rooted in a past trauma that was unresolved. That situation could and does apply to a lot of couples. It's a big church.

Shilo, I agree that God would have spoken directly to this couple. I think it's something they would seek wise council for, and not involve a group.

Gary, other one...I would not have a problem praying for this couple but it seems to me the request  have come directly from them. Also this is a private matter and really to much information to share with a big group.

Thanks everyone for their input. I honestly have never dealt with this before. Good to hear your thoughts.

Bo, what's so perplexing about this was the very gracious and diplomatic manner in which she presented this information. However, she is a single woman, in her mid twenties and claims to have little experience with men. I question why she would be given this "word of Knowledge,"

i am the new kid on the block and really don't want to rock the boat, but this seemed very inappropriate to bring up in mixed company. Or ANY company. I've been in a  women's small group 14 yrs and a prayer request this intimate and this detailed has never been  presented. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

Davida, it is an amazing series. Not really any big surprises, but more confirmation on what I have long suspected. For years I felt like a second rate Christian because I had not had all those "experiences" like the hyper Charimatics. Now that I see it for what it really is, I know I have been protected over the years.

You mentioned a "word from God." I am becoming less and less enchanted with this whole concept. I do believe the Holy Spirit guides us when we pray and gives us the words when witnessing to others, but it seems like we so often run the risk of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or abuse of the gifts. It's a very fine line. 

This person is very much into "experiences" and at one point tried to teach me to speak in tounges. I told her it was not one of my gifts  and if God wanted me to have it, it would not have to be taught to me. 

Thereselittleflower, she did NOT name the couple. She did mention that the woman's problem was rooted in a past trauma that was unresolved. That situation could and does apply to a lot of couples. It's a big church.

Shilo, I agree that God would have spoken directly to this couple. I think it's something they would seek wise council for, and not involve a group.

Gary, other one...I would not have a problem praying for this couple but it seems to me the request  have come directly from them. Also this is a private matter and really to much information to share with a big group.

Thanks everyone for their input. I honestly have never dealt with this before. Good to hear your thoughts.

Bo, what's so perplexing about this was the very gracious and diplomatic manner in which she presented this information. However, she is a single woman, in her mid twenties and claims to have little experience with men. I question why she would be given this "word of Knowledge,"

i am the new kid on the block and really don't want to rock the boat, but this seemed very inappropriate to bring up in mixed company. Or ANY company. I've been in a  women's small group 14 yrs and a prayer request this intimate and this detailed has never been  presented. 

Whenever I hear 'Word of Knowledge' I automatically recoil.  I believe that most of the people who claim to have received a word from God are fakes and the ones who aren't are delusional.  You are right to question this woman's 'gift' and the offer to teach you to speak in tongues is totally bogus.  That kind of thing comes only from God.  You're on the right path here, Sugarbaker.  Keep questioning and don't trust anyone or anything that seems unscriptural to you.  Welcome to Worthy, btw.  :)