OakWood

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

There is a big difference between buying insurance and buying a gun.  How you protect yourself is the issue.

Since guns are carried for self-protection why is this an issue?

There are people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of carrying guns.    There are people who feel it is not how God calls us to protect ourselves, that self protection stops at the point of doing to someone else what they are about to do to you.

The question they raise is, did the Apostles carry weapons?   Did believers who faced extreme persecution in the first centuries carry weapons to protect themselves?

This is not as simple an issue as buying house insurance or homeowner's insurance, etc. and I don't believe one should try to make it be.  There are life and death ethical questions one must deal with in getting a gun that one does not have to deal with when buying insurance.

The apostles did carry weapons. Peter carried a sword.

when?

Luke 22

36 And He said to them, But now, he who has a purse, let him take it , and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors"; for the things concerning Me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough.

That was before Jesus suffered, died and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven.

That was under the Old Covenant.

When did Peter carry a sword after Jesus Ascended and the Holy Spirit came?

Guest shiloh357

There is a big difference between buying insurance and buying a gun.  How you protect yourself is the issue.

There are people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of carrying guns.    There are people who feel it is not how God calls us to protect ourselves, that self protection stops at the point of doing to someone else what they are about to do to you.

The question they raise is, did the Apostles carry weapons?   Did believers who faced extreme persecution in the first centuries carry weapons to protect themselves?

This is not as simple an issue as buying house insurance or homeowner's insurance, etc. and I don't believe one should try to make it be.  There are life and death ethical questions one must deal with in getting a gun that one does not have to deal with when buying insurance.

when?

Luke 22

36 And He said to them, But now, he who has a purse, let him take it , and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors"; for the things concerning Me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough.

That was before Jesus suffered, died and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven.

Littleflower, are you a pacifist?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

No particular point.Just interesting stats.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

when?

Luke 22

He said that to prep them for His death, This was part of His instructions prior to being turned over to the roman soldiers. 

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

For those who love to chime in and add comments (that are not about the shooting in Oregon, or at least the gun problem in general, perhaps at least explain how your comments pertain the the topic of the college shooting.

(* looking at people who commented about aggressive driving).

I am not saying that no relevance exists, but some of us who are less intelligent, sit here scratching our heads wondering why our web browsers skipped to a different thread.

dont know about the traffic thing but, and I would love to take time to mourn the incident and work on ways to prevent it in the future, but as I've explained this to many of my friends, there are many of those on the left who will use this, ARE using this to push unjust gun laws. If we don't meet their attacks immediately it will be to late. If you show up to the battlefield after the enemy has already come through you will lose the war. You have to meet the enemy on the battlefield, or you might as well not show up.

@ jade. Yes, the mexicans do get a lot of guns from the US, file them off and smuggle them back in, the US is a easy source, but the US is far from their only supplier. Mexico also gets many Russian and Chinese weapons in on the black market due to their availability, and if America were to somehow stem the flow of weapons Mexican cartels were getting, they would just pick up more from overseas. There is no shortage of aks, sks's and other such weapons floating around the black market.

For those who love to chime in and add comments (that are not about the shooting in Oregon, or at least the gun problem in general, perhaps at least explain how your comments pertain the the topic of the college shooting.

(* looking at people who commented about aggressive driving).

I am not saying that no relevance exists, but some of us who are less intelligent, sit here scratching our heads wondering why our web browsers skipped to a different thread.

dont know about the traffic thing but, and I would love to take time to mourn the incident and work on ways to prevent it in the future, but as I've explained this to many of my friends, there are many of those on the left who will use this, ARE using this to push unjust gun laws. If we don't meet their attacks immediately it will be to late. If you show up to the battlefield after the enemy has already come through you will lose the war. You have to meet the enemy on the battlefield, or you might as well not show up.

@ jade. Yes, the mexicans do get a lot of guns from the US, file them off and smuggle them back in, the US is a easy source, but the US is far from their only supplier. Mexico also gets many Russian and Chinese weapons in on the black market due to their availability, and if America were to somehow stem the flow of weapons Mexican cartels were getting, they would just pick up more from overseas. There is no shortage of aks, sks's and other such weapons floating around the black market.

I never said mexico doesnt get guns from the us. I was referring to the guns that have no serial numbers but not ones that were filed off. Those have come in far greater numbers from sources other than the us.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

when?

Luke 22

Did I not say that Peter probably became a pacifist when he started his calling?

As for the other issues I addressed such as a man leaving his wife...... well?

Also you are being selective of scripture..... so when Jesus said 'let him who has a garment, sell it and buy a sword' that only applies to the old covenant before the Holy Spirit came?

What about 'the meek shall inherit the Earth'? Is that just 'old covenant' talk?

Does that apply also to the other teachings of Jesus? Does that mean that when Jesus said.... 'turn the other cheek' he only meant if before the Holy Spirit came?

Perhaps when Jesus told his followers to 'Love thine enemy' that only applied to the old Jewish law.

Should the Catholic Church have ignored Muslim jihad and let Muslims take over Europe, take over the Vatican, and convert everybody in Christendom to Islam?

Should Christian nations have let Hitler stomp all over Europe, murder as many people as he liked and force everybody to live under Nazi rule. After all, we can't carry swords or fight back, can we?

There is such a thing as self-defense in Christianity. Christians can fight to protect their faith, their loved ones, their communities and their friends. If we can't do that, we can do nothing!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

I think metal detectors need to go up everywhere.Other detector devices as well.

I think metal detectors need to go up everywhere.Other detector devices as well.

Metal detectors go along with bans. Im not as game as you are to surrender freedoms. 

Besides, there are plastic guns that can kill.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/tech/innovation/3d-gun-video/