IGNORED

Breaking - Oregon college shooting

OakWood

Guest shiloh357

I disagree.

Of course you do, littleflower.  You wouldn't know sound doctrine from a hole in the ground.  

Since when did rudeness become a fruit of the Holy Spirit?

An anti-Semite like you has NO room to lecture anyone about the fruit of the Spirit.   I am not being rude.   I just reflect more honesty that you have the integrity or character to face up to.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.67
  • Days Won:  37

Bless you Shiloh.

I'm not going to play this game of personal bashing.   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

12122433_739764409490073_1308916188308890481_n.png

I do not agree. As a Christian I pray to God everyday to protect my family and myself.Fear?Where is your faith shiloh?

Exodus 23:27

Psalm 18:3

Psalm 54:7

Psalm 138:7

Isaiah 41:10

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

There is a big difference between buying insurance and buying a gun.  How you protect yourself is the issue.

Since guns are carried for self-protection why is this an issue?

There are people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of carrying guns.    There are people who feel it is not how God calls us to protect ourselves, that self protection stops at the point of doing to someone else what they are about to do to you.

The question they raise is, did the Apostles carry weapons?   Did believers who faced extreme persecution in the first centuries carry weapons to protect themselves?

This is not as simple an issue as buying house insurance or homeowner's insurance, etc. and I don't believe one should try to make it be.  There are life and death ethical questions one must deal with in getting a gun that one does not have to deal with when buying insurance.

The apostles did carry weapons. Peter carried a sword.

when?

Luke 22

36 And He said to them, But now, he who has a purse, let him take it , and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors"; for the things concerning Me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough.

That was before Jesus suffered, died and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven.

That was under the Old Covenant.

When did Peter carry a sword after Jesus Ascended and the Holy Spirit came?

Yes, but everything Jesus taught was under the Old Covenant.  So anything Jesus said, if we don't like it, we can brush it off as being under the "Old Covenant?"    You really need to think things through before posting nonsense like that.

Did Jesus teach to carry weapons?   One time as he was about to be taken he says something about swords - there were more than 2 there but 2 swords were enough - and when one was used Jesus said to stop and healed the wound inflicted by Peter.

This does not lend itself to be a teaching.

Nowhere does Jesus or the Apostles teach we are to fight back.

In fact, Jesus actually teaches the opposite:

Love Your Enemies

Matthew 5:39
38"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.40"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

Jesus' explicit teaching is this "do not resist an evil person"

What if a criminal was trying to kill a child in front of you? Do you have the right to protect the innocent child even if it meant killing the criminal? 

if you slap my cheek, I will offer you the other.....     actually probably both of them as I run away.....     but if you come at my wife, kids, grandkids or myself with an intention of hurting any or all of us it is a different matter...     and I have never felt that God wanted me to stand by and watch my family hurt over nothing.         When the beast takes over and there really is notthing we can do about it, it's one thing......    but if a burgler breaks into our house or car while we are at home it's another.   

Exactly.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.67
  • Days Won:  37

There is a big difference between buying insurance and buying a gun.  How you protect yourself is the issue.

There are people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of carrying guns.    There are people who feel it is not how God calls us to protect ourselves, that self protection stops at the point of doing to someone else what they are about to do to you.

The question they raise is, did the Apostles carry weapons?   Did believers who faced extreme persecution in the first centuries carry weapons to protect themselves?

This is not as simple an issue as buying house insurance or homeowner's insurance, etc. and I don't believe one should try to make it be.  There are life and death ethical questions one must deal with in getting a gun that one does not have to deal with when buying insurance.

when?

Luke 22

36 And He said to them, But now, he who has a purse, let him take it , and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors"; for the things concerning Me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough.

That was before Jesus suffered, died and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven.

Yes, but everything Jesus taught was under the Old Covenant.  So anything Jesus said, if we don't like it, we can brush it off as being under the "Old Covenant?"    You really need to think things through before posting nonsense like that.

Did Jesus teach to carry weapons?   One time as he was about to be taken he says something about swords - there were more than 2 there but 2 swords were enough - and when one was used Jesus said to stop and healed the wound inflicted by Peter.

Love Your Enemies

38"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.40"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

What if a criminal was trying to kill a child in front of you? Do you have the right to protect the innocent child even if it meant killing the criminal? 

Then I would try to do everything I could to stop it.

I would apply the words of Jesus to myself.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

when?

Luke 22

Love Your Enemies

But that's the same thing. Can't you see? If you would do everything you can to try and stop it and the only way you could stop it was by using force then you would be justified in using force.

I'm not saying that using force is always the answer and it should only be used as a last resort, but nevertheless force can be used. It's the same thing with 'Just war;' Sometimes war is the only option after every other method has been exhausted.

when?

Luke 22

Love Your Enemies

So you would kill a criminal to protect a child? So in that case having a gun is ok?