IGNORED

To deprive eachother by mutual consent? (1 Corinthians 7:5)

Hall7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

If you must know,  we both spend a lot more time in prayer. It's a big part of what makes a marriage successful. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

I think it is your marriage and so if you want to pursue this type of spiritual endeavor together, this is a beautiful thing to do because marriage should be a spiritual relationship and excercising the spiritual aspect in this way, will probably benefit you both if this is mutually agreed upon.  

I think the church often sees things in the extreme because there are a lot of sheep and few shepherds.  For example, when Jesus was around, the people were convinced divorce was permissible.  Now, we are convinced of the opposite, that divorce is not permissible and marriage is about not depriving each other so you wont be tempted to sin.  But, a better way is to know His will (Romans 12:1) like the prophets did who did some very unconventional things according to His will for them.  They were peculiar people and we are supposed to be peculiar as well (1peter 2:9).  

So, I say be a leader in your home and if this is what He is convicting you to do, then this is what you should do especially considering the times we are living.  We need to hear His voice and know His will more than we need lunch.  There were times when the priests were commanded to abstain for the same reason (exodus 19:15).  The law also said a man would be unclean after sex (leviticus 15:18).  A woman would also have been unclean throughout her menstrual cycle.  I think this was a way to remind Israel to be humble before the Lord and gave them opportunity to reflect on sin and our need to repent and to encourage spiritual maturity so that His presense will remain with us in our humility to put Him first above all else. The Old Covenant had much to say on the subject of spiritual\sexual purity.

Therefore, it could not be said that these laws encourage abstaining from marriage(1 timothy4:3).  They encourage humility and permit marriage the way Paul was teaching the people in these passages.  

Peace

Edited by Esther4:14

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

If you must know,  we both spend a lot more time in prayer. It's a big part of what makes a marriage successful. 

I agree ! It's worked for us these past 37 years.

Thank you Esther, well said.

This verse came to mind:

1 Corinthians 6:12

12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.