Gods Omniscience and Omnibenevolence

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  13.90
  • Days Won:  0

The problem here is everyone is trying to define God in terms of this existence.  This life is temporary.  We will cast aside these mortal bodies and put on immortality, by the blood of Jesus which cleanses us from all sin.  Nothing God could do would be more benevolent than that.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

On 11/9/2015 at 0:54 AM, shiloh357 said:

There is no dilemma.  God is not "omnibenevolent,"  or as some people say it, "all loving."   That is something you are assigning to God and it is not biblical.  So your dilemma is based on a wrong view of God.   God is all-knowing, all-powerful, everywhere present, but is not omnibenevolent.  So, your "dilemma" is resolved.

How can God be love and not be all loving?

• 1 John 4:8

He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

On 11/8/2015 at 7:26 PM, Ezra said:

Welcome AforementionedPerson,

"Omnibenevolent" is something you have coined, but infinitely gracious and merciful would be more apropos. What you are attempting to do is delve into the Mystery of God, and there are limits to what we can determine with our human capacity. God knows all and sees all, and He is also infinitely gracious and merciful. But He also allows sin and evil to exist on this earth "for a season". Your faith should not waver simply because you cannot grasp what only God can grasp. Your focus should always be on the Lord Jesus Christ and what He accomplished for your redemption. That is the only way to have a steadfast faith -- focus on the Cross and what it meant to God and to the whole world. God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself.

Actually it's not something he coined.  It is a term used in christianity.   We see it used in Thomas Aquinas:

• P1: The divine attributes are really identical among themselves and with the Divine Essence.

P2: Both omnipotence and omni-benevolence are divine attributes

C1: By premise 1, it follows that omnipotence and omni-benevolence are really identical among themselves and with the Divine Essence.

I have already proved that premise 1 is true previously in this paper. Additionally, premise 2 is true because these are definitional properties of the Christian God. Thus, the above argument is both logical and sound. So what is the consequence of the above argument? The above argument shows that omnipotence and omni-benevolence are not conflicting qualities in God’s nature. Instead, these properties are our human way of understanding the infinite nature of God. We can’t grasp the infinite nature of God with our finite intellects, so we must resort to assigning properties such as "power" and "goodness" to God’s nature. Thus we are justified in redefining God’s omnipotence as:

Def : God can do anything logically possible which does not conflict with his nature.

One final comment on the scope of God’s omnipotence: a skeptic might suggest that if the above definition is true then that still means that a human can steal candy from a baby but God cannot. Does this suggest that we have the power to do something that is impossible for God? Yes, in a sense this is true. We have one power that God does not: we can sin. For what is sin? Sin is a direct violation of the Divine Will of God, which is always unified with his omni-benevolence. Since God’s power is identical with his love, and his Will proceeds from his Nature then it is logically impossible for God to violate his own perfect Will of goodness. In this sense, it is logically impossible for God to violate his own divine Will. This does not mean that God is helpless to the whim of an infant (as the example seems to assert), only that God’s very Nature is of such an essence that power and goodness are joined together in such a way that Evil can never proceed from it.

http://www.saintaquinas.com/omnipotence.html

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:16 PM, shiloh357 said:

I didn't say that God is not all good. I am saying that God is not all loving. The Bible tells us that there are things that God hates.

God hates lawless people (Psalm 5:5)

God hates a lying tongue, a proud look, a heart that devises wicked plans, those who shed innocent blood, feet that hasten to do evil, and a false witness (Prov. 6:17)

God is love, but love is not God's chief attribute.  God is first and foremost holy and that means that he hates sin.  He hates sin so much He cannot even look upon it. That doesn't make God partly evil. It makes Him 100% holy.

:thumbsup:

There are six things that the Lord hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:

haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,

a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that make haste to run to evil,

a false witness who breathes out lies,

and one who sows discord among brothers. Proverbs 5:16-19 (English Standard Version)

+

Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but leave room for God's wrath. For it is written: "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord." Romans 12:19 (Berean Study Bible)

~

Don't Mess With

See now that I, indeed I, am he!” says the Lord,
“and there is no other god besides me.
I kill and give life,
I smash and I heal,
and none can resist my power.

For I raise up my hand to heaven,
and say, ‘As surely as I live forever,

I will sharpen my lightning-like sword,
and my hand will grasp hold of the weapon of judgment;
I will execute vengeance on my foes,
and repay those who hate me!

I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
and my sword will devour flesh –
the blood of the slaughtered and captured,
the chief of the enemy’s leaders!’”

Cry out, O nations, with his people,
for he will avenge his servants’ blood;
he will take vengeance against his enemies,
and make atonement for his land and people.
Deuteronomy 32:39-43 (NET Bible)

KING Jesus

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. Revelation 19:11-21 (King James Version)

I would have to say God's chief attribute is Love.

• John 3  16"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

•  1 John 4:16We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:04 AM, thereselittleflower said:

God’s very Nature
is of such an essence that power and goodness
are joined together in such a way that Evil can never proceed from it.

:thumbsup:

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

And Justice

I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work. Ecclesiastes 3:17

Is Good

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Amen~!