IGNORED

Speaking in tongues is that ,real or alive today ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

PART 6

o   “Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If [ any thing ] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.” (1Cor 14.29,30).

o   “For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.” (1Cor 14.31).

Note that, although all should be prophets and prompt to speak a prophetic word to unbelievers and unlearned (1Cor 14.24,25), only two and three should speak in the reunion of the oholyao, and this one after the other. The others should judge (for the fifth time there is a difference between the Sacred Scripture and what it is done in the religious instituitions). The scripture says that we ought to judge the prophecies and prove the spirits (1John 4.1), but the religious leaders doesn’t accept to be confronted.

o    “And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” (1Cor 14.32).

Although this is referring itself to the prophets, considering that all are stimulated to be prophets (1Cor 14.24,25) and that if there be no interpreter, who speaks in tongues ought to keep silence in the church, therefore the spirit of all persons that have the Holy Spirit were subjected to them (even more considering that one of the characteristics of the fruit of the Holy Spirit is temperance – Galatians 5.23).

That is to say, although the Holy Spirit gives His gifts to who He desires and when He wants, each person is free to share his gift, since decently and in order.

o   “Let all things be done decently and in order.” (1Cor 14.40).

After all:

o   “For God is not [ the author ] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.” (1Cor 14.33).

And it is to end all confusion that the Sacred Scripture ordains:

o   “Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [ they are commanded ] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.”

You can be asking yourself: what does this have to do with the gift of the tongues?

All! The Corinthians was using the gifts of the Holy Spirit, which should serve to bring the brothers closer together, to draw out and separate. Instead of being subject one to another (1Peter 5.5), each one wished to trample one to another.

Similarly, the married women were wanting call the attention for themselves in order to stand out from their husbands and, thus, to be independent. Who isolates oneself want to be independent (and is rising up against the true wisdom - Proverbs 18.1). Who speaks it is because desire modify, increase or diminish something (otherwise, such person will be speaking to the wind).

But, if both husband and woman weren’t speaking the same tongue, if one wasn’t comprehending the other, what to wait of the oholyao (and even of the Church)? This was a shame for Christ (contradict the desire of Jesus – John 17.21-23).

If the women wished to learn, that they learned only what says respect to their mission in Christ in the life of their husband. After all, the role of the woman is to be helper suitable to the husband. In these conditions, who better than the husband to reveal to the wife what did she really need to know?

o   “What? Came the word of God out from you? Or came it unto you only?” (1Cor 14.36).

For the sixth time we see the difference between the oholyao in the Sacred Scripture and what is performed in the “churches” around. They think that the word of God come out from them and for them only.

o   “If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.” (1Cor 14.37).

o   “But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.” (1Cor 14.38).

Who really is prophet or spiritual have to acknowledge that the Sacred Scripture is commandment of the Lord. When someone desires to ignore this truth obstinately, let’s leave he in the ignorance (like is said at Matthew 15.14; 2John 1.10,11).

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 0:21 AM, SINNERSAVED said:

I have been a Christian a very long time over thirty years, but never heard anyone speak in tongues,

and many well known Christians say it is still current in todays world, and I know they say you need a interpreter ,if you do speak it.

but the question is ?, does  speaking in tongues really exist ,?or was it  a actual language that was spoke in long ago at Pentecost in native form for all the different people,to understand in there own,the word of God so they could tell there people  and share the gospel?

does anyone here at worthy speak in tongues,? where does it come from ,and what is its purpose,?

I don't know anything about it ,but what I read in the bible,  and yes, this is a legit question ?

A. First the assumption is that all Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. Do you agree?

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

Full passage referenced is 1 Cor. 14:1-40: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Cor.+14%3A1-40+&version=ESV

B. Tongues without interpretation is like speaking into the air – it has no purpose.

Vs. 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

C. Praying in tongues should always follow interpretation. Praying in a tongue nobody understands make the mind unfruitful.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

D. Paul spoke in tongues. But he mentioned it was better to speak five intelligible words than 10,000 in a tongue.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

E. Tongues are for the not for the Body of Christ but for unbelievers – that they might hear the Good News of God’s Word and believe that Jesus is Lord!

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers.

(continued in next post)

God bless,
GE

Full passage referenced is 1 Cor. 14:1-40

F. Speaking in tongues creates confusion and shows a bad example of Christian order in worship.

23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

G. Two to three at the most are to speak in tongues and there must be an interpretation. If there is no interpretation we are instructed not to speak in tongues.

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

H. Mass prophecy is not Biblical either. The revelation of God is found in His Word. God is the God of order and peace.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

I. Paul specifically warns that this instruction is the Lord’s command.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.

J. Tongues are not prohibited as long as there is order.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Please receive this in the same spirit of love that it was intended.

God bless,
GE

Spiritual gifts are given as assistance to the Bride of Christ through the Holy Spirit to empower the Church to be more effective in reaching others for Christ and edifying the Body of Christ.

Can a person pray in their own little special language to God? Sure. In Christ it is permissible. Is it beneficial?

1 Corinthians 10:13

All things are lawful [also translated permissible] for me, but not all things are helpful [also translated beneficial]; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.

The Bible says in 1 Cor. 14 verse 14 that such prayer is unfruitful.

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

The implication then is that as a Christian there are other things which are more fruitful to spend time on such as memorizing God’s Word, praying intelligibly to God, studying the Bible with other Believers, etc.

I personally believe the theology of a personal prayer language is errant, extra-Biblical teaching based on these passages. That said, that is my personal conviction. If people feel otherwise they are free to worship God how He leads them. May the Holy Spirit lead us all in loving God more and loving people better. :):thumbsup: 

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,318
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 1:08 PM, Willa said:

1 Cor. 13:10  says when the PERFECT comes that which is in part will be done away.  So I don't believe they will cease till we are in heaven or else when Jesus comes back.  But 13:8 is used to deny the reality of its existance today.  I believe it is out of context.

Because 'perfect' is undefined it must be considered in aspect to what has occurred since; Since The Holy Spirit is already there we cannot say the perfect has not come in the since of evaluated perfect...  some say the canon of Scripture formed into the object witness but then here seems the resulting product of the Holy Spirit and The Scripture

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Perfection cannot be found in cessation and sense the perfection is here and made able to make perfect yet undefined we are again held in the tension of God's Word waiting upon the Lord in the same fullness where all things are fully known here

1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

[12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, Bluebird said:

Well and good, but to just toss off a casual rejection of a very genuine expression is bound to do more harm than good. Better to explain calmly where a problem is and where it is not than risk destroying someone's faith. I cringe to imagine running headlong into someone with extremist views trying to convince me that what happened the first time I tried to connect with Jesus Christ was something false. At the point I was at when I accepted the Lord I was very fragile. In fact, 5 years earlier I tried to connect with Jesus Christ in a time of great crisis. I ran headlong into the kind of destructive religious falseness that drives so many away from church and got into a LOT of trouble because of being lost, confused and turned off from Christianity.

Too much theological theorizing has done much harm to many people, and the reputation of Christianity is suffering along with any hope of revival...

Your whole premise is that we can destroy the faith of someone...  is denied to be true by this passage

1 John 2:19 (KJV)

[19] They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

We are edified by Scripture not to be an offense and warnings if we are but not to the destruction of someone's faith... Love, Steven

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

5 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Please receive this in the same spirit of love that it was intended.

All these instructions were applicable as long as tongues (supernatural languages) were in operation. Once that gift ceased, none of this applies. Paul said tongues would cease, and cease they did.

Guest Teditis

What about this verse... has it been brought up yet?

1 Corin. 14:39 (ESV)- So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

3 minutes ago, Teditis said:

What about this verse... has it been brought up yet?

1 Corin. 14:39 (ESV)- So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

As long as it is done according to Scriptural obedience of which I may understand what is said and then compare with Scripture the validity of the communication...

Guest Teditis
1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

As long as it is done according to Scriptural obedience of which I may understand what is said and then compare with Scripture the validity of the communication...

Yes, of course! Paul lays out some specific procedures for practicing this gift... so, always in accordance with Scripture.

4 minutes ago, Teditis said:

Yes, of course! Paul lays out some specific procedures for practicing this gift... so, always in accordance with Scripture.

It does bring into the aspect of reason that it(tongues) becomes preaching and one is left to wonder why go the additional way around to arrive at the very same essence :noidea: