IGNORED

FASTING, AND PRAYING, HOW MUCH FASTING AND PRAYING ,DO YOU DO?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  14

HELLO, everyone, I know we are to fast and pray always, for we never know and we are told we never know what tomorrow brings,

but what is the best way to fast , and how long , period wise, and do we do it once a week, is there any good advise on this ?

so the question is, HOW MUCH PRAYING DO YOU DO AND FASTING ?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Pray as often as the Spirit compels you to.  Fasting depends on the individual.  My low body weight makes fasting dangerous.  Tried it once & it ended in disaster.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

On 30/11/2015, 1:56:24, SINNERSAVED said:

HELLO, everyone, I know we are to fast and pray always, for we never know and we are told we never know what tomorrow brings,

but what is the best way to fast , and how long , period wise, and do we do it once a week, is there any good advise on this ?

so the question is, HOW MUCH PRAYING DO YOU DO AND FASTING ?

SINNERSAVED

I think it's personal between you and God.  You can go however many days without food as you wish, and set your heart on.  You can fast all day and just eat a little at dinner on a regular basis.  You can eat during the day, and if something comes up and your desperate for a prayer to be answered, you might say, I will fast and not eat dinner tonight, or like Daniel did, he did not eat meat for some time.  Whatever way you do it, it's you that makes the decision, not because someone tells you to, it's personal between you and the Lord and it's your sacrifice to him. The main thing is you are denying your flesh, and when you go hungry and pray, you feel closer to God for he sees.  I'm warning you, you can sometimes get emotional with tears of joy, or the Lord will reveal something to us in our spirit that needs changing in the process. You might get unhappy flashbacks of the bad things you may of done in the past, and your stomach will turn even more!  He will reveal all, to remind us how he has worked in us, and the things we never thought possible, he delivered us from.  I speak from my own experience, it might be different for someone else.  The longest I went without food was for 3 days, and by the 3rd day I wasn't hungry.  After that I couldn't eat very much, so food was not an issue for me.

It helps us to exercise self control, and someone else explained it on here somewhere, I can't remember who but they said it so well. 

The main rule is this;

Matthew 6:16   Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 6:17   But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

Matthew 6:18   That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

keep it hush hush.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Read Isa 58.

Jesus said this one only goes out by prayer and fasting.  Isa 58 outlines the type of life one must live if they expect to achieve the grace necessary to move mountains. 

I fast in some way daily.  I am beginning to see that God is raising me up because I am humbling myself.  Though I have risen above poverty and am stabelizing within the middle class I care not for it. I leave my high estate and go out daily to meet with those who are impoverished to raise them up for Christ did not believe that being in the form of God was more important than erradicating my poverty so he emptied himself and was made in the form of a servant that he might make me rich.

Fasting is not always about food.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,659
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The root purpose for fasting (IMHO) is not only the denial of the flesh and establishing genuine intent / will... but to distinguish the spiritual from the physical in our own hearts.

Fasting does not convince God of anything he already knows.

Nor does prayer for that matter.

Our motivations should always be to submit to and to serve God Almighty in all things. But prayer and fasting are for our own benefit or the benefit of others (whom we fast and pray for).

It can also be a time of life changing decisions / events. Pastor Miles McPherson of the Rock Church San Diego California began his evangelism outreach ministry with 40 days fasts. This was before he established the Rock Church and his focus moved to it exclusively (also begun with 40 day fasts). You can Google his Church ministry to see the success of it, but the Miles Ahead Crusades is what I wanted to make mention of here. It was so successful and grew so rapidly the Billy Graham foundation took notice and consulted Miles about its success. Miles is a very resourceful man who can convince millionaires to support both ministries, but there was something else behind all of this. Of course God was and is... but the 40 day fasts somehow seemed to seal the deal and to show all who know this man of God just how please with him God is.

10 hours ago, gdemoss said:

Read Isa 58.

Jesus said this one only goes out by prayer and fasting.  Isa 58 outlines the type of life one must live if they expect to achieve the grace necessary to move mountains. 

I fast in some way daily.  I am beginning to see that God is raising me up because I am humbling myself.  Though I have risen above poverty and am stabelizing within the middle class I care not for it. I leave my high estate and go out daily to meet with those who are impoverished to raise them up for Christ did not believe that being in the form of God was more important than erradicating my poverty so he emptied himself and was made in the form of a servant that he might make me rich.

Fasting is not always about food.  

Jesus in his ministry did miraculous things man cannot do. But he did so through the Holy Spirit in submission to the will of the Father (which men in the past and since have done)... in keeping with his qualification as our kinsman redeemer.  Forty day fasts are not out of the reach of man's capabilities... out of the tendency of most of us (my longest fast was a week long fast with my beloved bride)... and that was a fast which allowed for juices 3 times a day one being the Green Machine for the supper time juice. Not bragging at all. Just informing.

Hunger does subside after a few days. I was in a physically demanding job (deliveries) and after a few days my reserves (fat) was depleted. And I was constantly drinking water and almost constantly needing to "go" number one... again just being informative... And I recall my tongue had a thick coating as the toxins flushed from my system. The operative phrase in all this is "after a few days..." A day long fast never had these added symptoms.

Point being in addition to informing, it is also an example that the needs of the flesh are necessary but in the big picture one must deny the flesh rather than giving into it always. And the spirit benefits from this and even the flesh does also.     

There is a departure from self in fasting (so to speak). And an inner commune with the Spirit of God. So intense at one point during the week long fast that I heard myself utter "It's too much. Lord." And the intensity subsided. I'll never forge that moment. It was joy unspeakable and full of glory like I've never felt before nor since.