IGNORED

Question about praying to Saints in churches.

layhoma

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 07/12/2015, 06:08:56, Judas Machabeus said:

The word pray means to ask or to petition. It does NOT mean worship.

And yet this prayer to St. Jude includes the promise to "spread devotion to you".  That is the equivalent of worship. On top of that we have "our Fathers", "Hail Marys" and "Glory Bes" and offering Masses and Communions in his honor.  If Jude's prayers are so greatly effective, why all the additional rites and rituals?

O Holy St Jude! 
Apostle and Martyr,
great in virtue and rich in miracles,
near kinsman of Jesus Christ,
faithful intercessor for all who invoke you,
special patron in time of need;
to you I have recourse from the depth of my heart,
and humbly beg you,
to whom God has given such great power,
to come to my assistance;
help me now in my urgent need and grant my earnest petition.
I will never forget thy graces and favors you obtain for me
and I will do my utmost to spread devotion to you. Amen.

St. Jude, pray for us and all who honor thee and invoke thy aid.
(Say 3 Our Father's, 3 Hail Mary’s, and 3 Glory Be’s after this.)

Note that in addition to saying a prayer to St. Jude, we can invoke his aid by offering Holy Masses and Communions in his honor. We can also engage in charitable works in his name.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

6 hours ago, Ezra said:

And yet this prayer to St. Jude includes the promise to "spread devotion to you".  That is the equivalent of worship. On top of that we have "our Fathers", "Hail Marys" and "Glory Bes" and offering Masses and Communions in his honor.  If Jude's prayers are so greatly effective, why all the additional rites and rituals?

O Holy St Jude! 
Apostle and Martyr,
and humbly beg you,

Note that in addition to saying a prayer to St. Jude, we can invoke his aid by offering Holy Masses and Communions in his honor. We can also engage in charitable works in his name.

I don't see any worship there Ezra.  You are simply reading something into this that isn't there.

Prayer is not worship.

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

I don't see any worship there Ezra.  You are simply reading something into this that isn't there.

Prayer is not worship.

Prayer is worship.  Prayer is facet of worship.  It is not the totality of worship, but anyone with even a elementary understanding of theology knows that prayer is worship.  No one can read Salva Regina is prayer and it is worship.    Only in the convoluted mind of a Catholic apologist is prayer not worship. Intelligent people see it differently.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Just now, shiloh357 said:

Prayer is worship.  Prayer is facet of worship.  It is not the totality of worship, but anyone with even a elementary understanding of theology knows that prayer is worship.  No one can read Salva Regina is prayer and it is worship.    Only in the convoluted mind of a Catholic apologist is prayer not worship. Intelligent people see it differently.

Where does that bible say that prayer is worship?

I am not asking where prayer is used in worship, but where the bible says ALL prayer is worship.

Can you show me where it says that?

Guest shiloh357
Just now, thereselittleflower said:

Where does that bible say that prayer is worship?

I am not asking where prayer is used in worship, but where the bible says ALL prayer is worship.

Can you show me where it says that?

Where does the Bible say that it is wrong to beat your wife???  Where does the Bible mention gang rape as a sin??    I don't have to provide chapter and verse in order to state the obvious.  

Worship is comprised of many different things.  Praise, supplication, intercessory prayer (to God alone), singing, dancing, and prayer and there are different kinds of prayer.   Prayer is a part of worship and everyone knows that.

Praying to saints is not biblical worship, but it is worship.  The Bible sets God as the only object of our prayers.  We are never told to pray to anyone else.   That's because prayer is a facet of worship.  

You are trying weasel around the obvious. 

Guest Judas Machabeus
11 hours ago, Ezra said:

O Holy St Jude! 
Apostle and Martyr,
and humbly beg you,

I did a web search for the definition of devotion and I fail to see the word worship.

Devo·tion

/dəˈvōSH(ə)n/

noun