• Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

29 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:
29 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

No, I just know that a terrorist is not going to plan on opening a door that can't be opened.

What if somebody opens a door during flight?

It seems that a week can’t go by without hearing the latest story about a passenger who went cuckoo and tried to yank open an emergency exit, only to be tackled and restrained by those around him, who thought they were on the verge of being ejected into the troposphere.

While the news never fails to report these events, it seldom mentions the most important fact:  You cannot – repeat, cannot – open the doors or emergency hatches of an airplane in flight.  You can’t open them for the simple reason that cabin pressure won’t allow it.  Think of an aircraft door as a drain plug, fixed in place by the interior pressure.  Almost all aircraft exits open inward.  Some retract upward into the ceiling; others swing outward; but they open inward first, and not even the most musclebound human will overcome the force holding them shut.  At a typical cruising altitude, up to eight pounds of pressure are pushing against every square inch of interior fuselage.  That’s over 1,100 pounds against each square foot of door. Even at low altitudes, where cabin pressure levels are much less, a meager 2 p.s.i. differential is still more than anyone can displace — even after six cups of coffee and the aggravation that comes with sitting behind a shrieking baby.  The doors are further held secure by a series of electrical and/or mechanical latches.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend it, unless you enjoy being pummeled and placed in a choke-hold by panicked passengers, a person could, conceivably, sit there all day tugging on a door handle to his or her heart’s content.  The door is not going to open (though you might get a red light flashing in the cockpit, causing me to spill my Coke Zero).  You would need a hydraulic jack, and TSA doesn’t allow those.

http://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/exits/

At best this guy was a very ill prepared wanna-be.   But my bet is on mental illness.

No, I just know that a terrorist is not going to plan on opening a door that can't be opened.

It seems that a week can’t go by without hearing the latest story about a passenger who went cuckoo and tried to yank open an emergency exit, only to be tackled and restrained by those around him, who thought they were on the verge of being ejected into the troposphere.

While the news never fails to report these events, it seldom mentions the most important fact:  You cannot – repeat, cannot – open the doors or emergency hatches of an airplane in flight.  You can’t open them for the simple reason that cabin pressure won’t allow it.  Think of an aircraft door as a drain plug, fixed in place by the interior pressure.  Almost all aircraft exits open inward.  Some retract upward into the ceiling; others swing outward; but they open inward first, and not even the most musclebound human will overcome the force holding them shut.  At a typical cruising altitude, up to eight pounds of pressure are pushing against every square inch of interior fuselage.  That’s over 1,100 pounds against each square foot of door. Even at low altitudes, where cabin pressure levels are much less, a meager 2 p.s.i. differential is still more than anyone can displace — even after six cups of coffee and the aggravation that comes with sitting behind a shrieking baby.  The doors are further held secure by a series of electrical and/or mechanical latches.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend it, unless you enjoy being pummeled and placed in a choke-hold by panicked passengers, a person could, conceivably, sit there all day tugging on a door handle to his or her heart’s content.  The door is not going to open (though you might get a red light flashing in the cockpit, causing me to spill my Coke Zero).  You would need a hydraulic jack, and TSA doesn’t allow those.

At best this guy was a very ill prepared wanna-be.   But my bet is on mental illness.

Yes, he didn't understand Physics well enough to comprehend that airplane doors can't be opened during flight, like most people who don't know that..... I bet half my friends don't even know that....

he must be mentally ill (like most people).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I didnt know you couldnt open doors in flight. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

26 minutes ago, OakWood said:

Yes, he didn't understand Physics well enough to comprehend that airplane doors can't be opened during flight, like most people who don't know that..... I bet half my friends don't even know that....

he must be mentally ill (like most people).

If he would try to open them mid-flight, then I would say yes something is wrong with him.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

21 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

If he would try to open them mid-flight, then I would say yes something is wrong with him.

Firstly, you have to remember that he is on a suicide mission. Opening them mid-flight is of no concern to him because he does not care for his own safety, especially if he believes that he will be martyred and go to paradise. He wants to kill others and is quite prepared to die while doing so.

Secondly, the fact that he doesn't know that they won't open does not make him mentally ill - stupid maybe, but not mentally ill.

Thirdly, you could argue that anybody who believes in committing murder-suicide is mentally ill, and yes, I can concede that believing in the religion of Islam may be a form of mental illness. Demonic possession may be a more appropriate answer, but it still leads us back round to the same question:- Why is so-called 'mental illness' more prevalent among Muslims than it is among adherents of other religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism or Sikhism? Why are Muslims more likely to commit terrorist attacks than are Hindus, Scientologists, Jews or even Atheists? Does practicing Islam cause mental illness or are mentally ill people more likely to become Muslims? Either way, it does not put Islam in a very good light... there must be something seriously wrong with this religious ideology.

Oakwood, I don't know how to make myself clearer.  And I never said or would argue that anybody who believes in committing muder-suicide is mentally ill.  The extremes to which my words are being taken means to me that we aren't really communicating.

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

I will work from a far more intelligent and commonsense approach than what you prefer.  Terrorists are evil, not mentally ill.

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

I will work from a far more intelligent and commonsense approach than what you prefer.  Terrorists are evil, not mentally ill.

Shilo, there is no need to put others down to build yourself up.

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

Shilo, there is no need to put others down to build yourself up.

I am not building myself up.  I am simply stating the truth.   You made an unfounded assumption.   I am taking the more intelligent approach, based on the fact that terrorists are evil, irrational people who are willing to kill themselves in order to kill others.    If you want to live in la-la land, you can do so.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

17 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

I don't think someone who's mentally ill is necessarily a terrorist.

I don't like how the word terrorist is being used today - anyone for any reason can be called a terrorist.

Let me see if I can help you dear... anyone who's use of terror or threat of life is defined as terrorist. Does that help?

16 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I am not building myself up.  I am simply stating the truth.   You made an unfounded assumption.   I am taking the more intelligent approach, based on the fact that terrorists are evil, irrational people who are willing to kill themselves in order to kill others.    If you want to live in la-la land, you can do so.

I do not believe in the least you are taking the more intelligent approach.