• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  4

IRT taking the Lords name in vain. 

Is "God" or "god" the Lords name or what He is? 

I believe using the word god does not violate the 3rd because it is not a name, it is really not even a title, it is a just a noun. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Vendtre said:

I believe using the word god does not violate the 3rd because it is not a name, it is really not even a title, it is a just a noun. 

It does no good to play semantic games in spiritual matters. All references to God or Christ (and they have many names and titles) as swear words or a curse words violate this commandment. "Jesus" is the Lord's name also. "Christ" is the Lord's name also.

You are assuming the use of the word is in reference to Jehovah, but that is not necessarily the case.  

To me it seems to be one of those rules passed down from generation to generation without much actual biblical support. 

Though if it violates one own conscious they should obstain from it. 

Guest Thallasa
16 hours ago, Vendtre said:

the contYou are assuming the use of the word is in reference to Jehovah, but that is not necessarily the case.  

To me it seems to be one of those rules passed down from generation to generation without much actual biblical support. 

Though if it violates one own conscious they should obstain from it. 

This is an example of false semantics, as anyone who has been brought up in a christian society knows ,even if they ignore it, that God refers to God Almighty, and while it can be said without thinking , it is an insult to Our Creator, and when used habitually, is a  serious business .     The Holy Spirit will tell you, if you listen .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

4 hours ago, Vendtre said:

It is a name.  It is the name of the most High God, the creator of the universe.  When speaking of Him we use a capital G because it is a proper Name.  The Name that is above all names.  He far more then just a name or a noun.   To those who are  believers He the Lord of our lives.  He is our Savior and King.  If you have questions we also have a chat room you can come into and ask questions.  We welcome you to Worthy.                                                                     

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Vendtre said:

You are assuming the use of the word is in reference to Jehovah, but that is not necessarily the case.  

Jehovah, Yahweh, YHWH, Jesus, Jesu, Yesu, Yeshua, Yahshua all refer to the same Lord God Almighty. So once again, semantic games will get you nowhere.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/31/1955

1 John 5/3 

The 3 rd is not a difficult commandment to keep .

If people take the Lord's name in vain in my home , I ask them not to .

3 hours ago, Thallasa said:

This is an example of false semantics, as anyone who has been brought up in a christian society knows ,even if they ignore it, that God refers to God Almighy and while it can be said without thinking ,it is an insult to Our Creator and when used habitually, is a  serious business .     The Holy Spirit will tell you if you listen .

I have found the more I search the scriptures that a great many things I "knew" from the Christian society are false. 

My view of the current state of the "church" is that it is the worst thing to ever happen to Christianity 

Let's put it this way: why would you want to use anything connected to the Lord for a curse word, be it name, title or otherwise? Scripture instructs us not to use coarse language as well as to not take the Lord's name in vain. If we're trying to be separate from this world (as scripture tells us), then our language and use of it also must reflect that as well. Refraining from sin isn't just "not doing" it, but also not seeking to find the "thin line" between what is sin and what isn't so we can skirt perilously close to it! Our intent matters as much as the act, as God judges the heart.

If you're trying to find that "fine line" , my advice is: DON'T. Stay away from all of that and don't use ANY title or noun for God in it PERIOD.

Edited by RobertS
correction