• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

Then along comes Jesus & says that it is the heart that God is seeking, not just all the outward things

You said - yes and that is what i find confusing. does that mean that God got it wrong in the ot? or did man interpret what God meant incorrectly?

Very good question as it brings out God`s heart, His motive. Jesus was reminding the people that is was the heart, that God is seeking & that it was written in God`s word.

`For you do not desire sacrifice or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken & a contrite heart – these, O God, you will not despise.` (Ps. 51: 16 & 17)

Israel had the OT scriptures but had come under the control & power of the leaders who lorded it over them, making out God was harsh & expected them to do this & that & the other.

God (in the desert time) had desired that Israel would come to Him as Moses did, but they did not want to come close. Thus God gave them the law & all its requirements to reveal to them their sinfulness & need of God. Galatians tells us that the Law was added later, only as `school master` to lead to Christ. (Gal. 3: 6, 24)

And we see that even the disciples took a long time to understand this, that the Law was an added & not something they or we could ever fulfil. (Gal. 2: 11 – 14)

I really appreciate the way you think & ask questions, mabel. I will reply to your other comment later. Marilyn.

hello Marilyn

0 dear the leaders... a little bit of kn0wledge...with regards to being harsh. i am reading Ezekiel at the mo. and that is well harsh the punishments of God and yes they were sinning. it does make me think.  if a nation that was God's chosen people are wilfully disobedient and they were living together and that wasnt enough. i mean they were witness to many miracles. what hope do i have?

i am enjoying these posts they help me to put my thoughts from out of my head and onto "paper"

thanks

Mabel

• Group:  Royal Member

On 04/03/2016 at 7:17 AM, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

Great to hear from you & that you are being encouraged by everyone here. Now we are all praying for you as you do this retreat. Seems like the right timing for the next part of your journey in the Lord to get to know Him better.

All the best, Marilyn.

i think i had a few nudges today regarding phoning up and booking a place... so i am going! and also i have managed to pretty well go through the retreat material before i go.  as last time i didn't and that wasn't helpful. tried to wing it but failed miserably! it starts on the 18 April to the 22 April. i would so appreciate peoples prayer for this retreat. i do so need to have a breakthrough. i have gotten tired of false dawns.

so i am a little excited and that for me is a miracle as i don't do excitement.

hello Marilyn

PART 3 OF THE CHARACTER OF JESUS

From chapter 6

In chapter 6:2 it does make me wonder what kind of teachings the people were receiving. Were the leaders etc anointed to preach?

How come the people accepted what the leaders preached who lived among them?  Yet would not accept Jesus.

Jesus it seems could not perform miracles because the people were closed to his teachings and yet he healed the sick.

i don’t get why Jesus was "greatly surprised because the people did not have faith" how could they if all that they ever had was the teaching of the leaders who were more of a legalistic, rules regs and traditional religion.

Why did Jesus only have 12 disciples? After all it was a huge undertaking to preach far and wide. 12 seemed too small a number..How did Jesus give the 12 disciples authority over the evil spirits? And to be able to heal just like that took massive faith.

Jesus' reputation quickly spread everywhere and that was before the age of interconnected communication that we take for granted these days. Again that is remarkable

With regards to Herod marrying Herodias who was married to his bro Philip. i don’t understand why John made a big deal of it.  After all in the ot it was stipulated that a bro had to marry his dead bro wife to carry on the family name.

Jesus felt pity for them...sheep without a shepherd and then he began to teach them many things ezekiel 34:11.. that I myself will look for my sheep and take care of them

Its quite mind boggling to think that the son of God was teaching the ordinary Jo. they had never been exposed to authentic teachings before. and maybe this creates the right conditions to commit a miracle and a very big one at that.

The interesting thing is that the people experienced this naturally and were not having to have Jesus perform yet more miracles. That miracle quenched the hunger and thirst so to speak. Did the people actually know that they were experiencing a miracle though because they would not have known surely?

The interesting thing that Jesus does regarding the bread and the fish is to firstly, look up to heaven and thank God. And when He had done this he broke the loaves which then somehow fed the crowd. And he divided the two fish among them all. Jesus thanked God for the feeding of the crowd before it was an actual thing. He had faith that it would happen.

He was in obedience to God and this was as natural as breathing to Jesus and yet to man….

mabel

Edited by existential mabel

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

mable - hello Marilyn thanks for taking the time to explain things.
 i am enjoying these posts they help me to put my thoughts from out of my head and onto "paper" thanks`

Hi mable,

I am really enjoying our discussion also, so thank you too for sharing & giving your thoughts, which make me delve deeper into God`s word. Ok now to your questions & thoughts.

1. Israel in captivity.

`the people of Israel. i cant help but think they had 400 years in captivity. and so any connection with God was bred out of them.

why did God choose this fate for Israel? when both Isaac and Jacob were faithful and also Joseph m0re than made up for any spiritual errors.  they had good credit scoring, if you will, with God.

life as a slave had dulled their mind and hearts. they had gotten "used" to trial and hardship. and stepping out of that was more of a leap of faith. a totally new blueprint.`

When Joseph`s family came down to Egypt to live with him, they were well respected. All the elders of Pharaoh`s house & all the elders of the land of Egypt went to the burial of Joseph`s father, Jacob. (Gen. 50: 7) God had helped the people of Egypt through Joseph`s wise rulership under Pharaoh.

Note God is about showing rulers how to govern the people wisely.

Then when Joseph & his generation died a new king arose who did not know Joseph. He was concerned that the children of Israel were more & mightier than they. Thus he made task masters to rule over them. (Ex. 1: 6 – 14) Thus it is that this next generation had to call on God themselves & not just rely on Joseph`s & Jacob`s good names.

Note that the midwives realized that God was blessing the Israelites with healthy children & so they didn`t kill them as the king wanted. And thus the midwives were dealt well with by God as He provided for their households. (Ex. 1: 15 – 21)

Note God is about showing individuals how to live wisely & not killing His people.

Hi mable,

You would make a good journalist. I can see you now putting the mike up close to someone (in the gospels) saying, “Now what do you think of this dude, Jesus? What do you think He is all about?” (etc) More of your questions.

1. Why did Jesus only have 12 disciples?witnesses & rulership to Israel.

Excellent & perceptive thought especially in relation to the mega organizations of today. 12 is the number of government in Israel. The Lord was imparting to these men His very self. They walked with Him, ate, lived out rough in the hills, saw Him in times of stress, (but He wasn`t stressed), when he was tired, in pain, comforting others, compassionate etc, etc. They saw Him in reality & not just from a distance on a Sunday morning.

Jesus mentored these men & they received of His character. That is how we should be with those around us – a few we walk with. Jesus was not pressured to have an organization run His events, His preaching/teaching, His outreach to others, He was led by the Holy Spirit. God is well able to reveal Himself to anyone anywhere all over the globe as people cry out to Him.

So the 12 disciples were to be a witness of His life, death, resurrection & ascension to Israel. Thus we read regarding the replacement of Judas.

`Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in & out among us, beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection,` (Acts 1: 21 & 22)

Thus when Peter spoke out to the people of Jerusalem he was witnessing to the fact that Jesus was – `both Lord & Christ.` (Acts 2: 36) The disciples then became known as apostles, sent ones of Christ to go to the circumcised, (people of Israel – Gal. 2: 9)

Eventually the 12 disciples/Apostles will be the 12 governmental rulers over the 12 tribes of Israel.

`So Jesus said to them, "Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed me will also sit on 12 thrones, judging the 12 tribes of Israel.` (Matt. 19: 28)

Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

BTW mabel, I am so enjoying your thoughts as you work through Mark looking at Jesus` character & those around Him. You had more questions & thoughts but I thought I would let you reply to my comments so far. No hurry just when you`re ready.

All the best, Marilyn.

On 11/03/2016 at 7:43 AM, Marilyn C said:

BTW mabel, I am so enjoying your thoughts as you work through Mark looking at Jesus` character & those around Him. You had more questions & thoughts but I thought I would let you reply to my comments so far. No hurry just when you`re ready.

All the best, Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn just a quick reply off out for a meal with my parents. LOL yesterday a friend who i visited (her sister had died only a few days ago who lived abroad of a long illness) said she felt much better after talking to me and that i should be a counselor meanwhile i am struggling with acute anxiety... now you mention journalist. b0y 0 b0y hasnt God got a sense of humour!

Edited by existential mabel

12 hours ago, existential mabel said:

Hi Marilyn just a quick reply off out for a meal with my parents. LOL yesterday a friend who i visited (her sister had died only a few days ago who lived abroad of a long illness) said she felt much better after talking to me and that i should be a counselor meanwhile i am struggling with acute anxiety... now you mention journalist. b0y 0 b0y hasnt God got a sense of humour!

Hi mabel,

Glad you had time with your folks & helped your friend as she shared of her sister. And yes I also believe God has a sense of humour, as we do too. Now I was thinking of those 2 comments - journalist & counsellor, & what is common with them both. Why of course they both ask insightful questions. And that is something you do also. God has enabled you to see, read a situation & then ask important, needful questions. Questions actually either are for information or they can be used by someone to help someone work through a problem or situation. Thus I believe that as you become more confident in the truth of God`s character & His purposes, (what He is doing) then you will be less anxious & also be able to help others.

I think God is giving you a little insight into what He is bringing out of your gifting.

Marilyn.

11 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

Glad you had time with your folks & helped your friend as she shared of her sister. And yes I also believe God has a sense of humour, as we do too. Now I was thinking of those 2 comments - journalist & counsellor, & what is common with them both. Why of course they both ask insightful questions. And that is something you do also. God has enabled you to see, read a situation & then ask important, needful questions. Questions actually either are for information or they can be used by someone to help someone work through a problem or situation. Thus I believe that as you become more confident in the truth of God`s character & His purposes, (what He is doing) then you will be less anxious & also be able to help others.

I think God is giving you a little insight into what He is bringing out of your gifting.

Marilyn.

hello Marilyn aw you gone and made me cry! my parents putting on a united brave face on things which is why when i get back to mine i feel so upset. but i am grateful at least i can do my upset bit alone and not whilst at my parents. apparently my auntie, my dads sister was extremely distressed when she saw my dad a few days looking so ill and that has an affect on my dad it makes him worse it exhausts him. but like i said to my bro dont forget she is his sister and they have such a good relationship. my auntie's health is not at all good either so it is a very difficult time for them both and that makes me so sad and upset. why do good people have to suffer and evil people get off with very little in the way of a long drawn out  painful illness  and even have a good send off

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

If you feel depressed or sad, a good scripture to speak to your situation is philippians 4:8' Think on the good things- whatsoever is lovely, true, praiseworthy and of good reportage.' Think on these things and you should start to feel better if u apply this scripture to your life.  If it is not reactive depression and endoginous chemical based depression you should see a Doctor.  But always pray about your symptoms as Jesus is the Great Physician and can heal you. Try fellowshiping with God more and more and let Jesus guide you through reading your Bible.  Fellowshipping with other Christian friends will help give you love and support and wise counsel too and help you share your burden and can heal you.