everseeking

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I'm quite new to bible study and have only recently started going back to Church. I live in New Zealand by the way. My question is, why did God choose the Middle East, Israel, Jerusalem and surrounds to send his only son, Jesus Christ? Is this then, the most important part of the world? Why not China or England or South Africa or Australia? Was it because of population density? is it because the Jews were really the chosen people? Do the Jews still have a very special place in God's heart? (because of the stories in the bible especially old testament)

I'm still at an agnostic stage about Jesus Christ, unfortunately. I wish it was as simple as saying "yes I believe" but I don't think making a statement like that works if you don't have a deep, firm conviction.

Because the Jews, HIS chosen people, lived in Israel, the land GOD gave to them; Jesus was a Jew as well as GOD.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

13 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

Because the Jews, HIS chosen people, lived in Israel, the land GOD gave to them; Jesus was a Jew as well as GOD.

I think this sums it up pretty well. As far as the specific reasons why GOD chose that location to give His people, who knows? This is one of those questions which pop up in the course of studying, where the answer basically boils down to "because GOD said so".

That's not always a satisfying answer, but often it's the only one we get. I point people to Job quite often, where he questioned GOD and GOD's response was "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" (38:4).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,828
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi, everseeking.

It's not that God chose the Middle East, Israel, or Jerusalem.  It's that God chose Abraham and Abraham lived in the Middle East.

God didn't choose Israel - as a nation of people.  He created that nation.

God chose Abraham, whose family were moon-worshipers:

• He told him to leave his family and follow him.
  • Abraham has Isaac who had Jacob who had 12 sons representing the 12 tribes.
  • Once, when Abraham was doubting the covenant, God told him about the future that he would never see.  He told him that his descendants would be held captive in a nation (Egypt) for 400 years, but that they would be released and end up in the Promised Land.
  • God allowed this to happen so Abraham's descendants would stay put in one place would become a nation - with millions of people.

God would sent his Son, Jesus Christ, through this nation.  They are not perfect.  They don't get a free ride into heaven.  They must be saved.  But through them, God taught the Law, faith, and much more.

It just happened to take place where Abraham was living.

And Romans 4 says that Abraham is the father of ALL who believe.  Not just the physical father of the Jews - but the spiritual father of all who believe.

Just sometimes I think choice of religion depends on  where you live, your culture. More likely to be Buddhist in an Asian country than a western country for instance. The countries where Christianity hasn't taken hold or become popular, really disadvantage them knowing Christ. Seems unfair they would miss out the opportunity. But then part of me thinks that truth is relative to  what tribe you belong to, what culture you were raised on. Sorry if these doubts I express seem disrespectful.

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.33
  • Days Won:  20

17 hours ago, everseeking said:

why did God choose the Middle East, Israel, Jerusalem and surrounds to send his only son, Jesus Christ?

For one thing, the Garden of Eden was in Iraq, and Abraham also came from what is now Iraq. Canaan was a very fertile and fruitful land, and that was what God chose as the Promised Land.  God gave Abraham a covenant, which would include this land (where Jerusalem would be located), and from whose descent Christ would come.  God also chose the nation of Israel for the purpose of making His truth known to the world.  As a matter fact, Abraham took his son Isaac to sacrifice him on Mount Moriah, and that is exactly where the Temple was built by Solomon.

17 hours ago, everseeking said:

Do the Jews still have a very special place in God's heart?

Yes, and again because of God's covenants with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and David. Messiah would come out of Israel, and become the Savior of the world, and then the Gospel would go forth from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and ultimately to the uttermost parts of the earth.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  67

17 minutes ago, Ezra said:

For one thing, the Garden of Eden was in Iraq, and Abraham also came from what is now Iraq. Canaan was a very fertile and fruitful land, and that was what God chose as the Promised Land.  God gave Abraham a covenant, which would include this land (where Jerusalem would be located), and from whose descent Christ would come.  God also chose the nation of Israel for the purpose of making His truth known to the world.  As a matter fact, Abraham took his son Isaac to sacrifice him on Mount Moriah, and that is exactly where the Temple was built by Solomon.

Yes, and again because of God's covenants with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and David. Messiah would come out of Israel, and become the Savior of the world, and then the Gospel would go forth from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and ultimately to the uttermost parts of the earth.

Strange you should mention Abraham to sacrifice Issac.

Major conflict here-

Jeremiah 19:5

4"Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent 5and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; 6therefore, behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when this place will no longer be called Topheth or the valley of Ben-hinnom, but rather the valley of Slaughter.…

Jeremiah 32:35

…34"But they put their detestable things in the house which is called by My name, to defile it. 35"They built the high places of Baal that are in the valley of Ben-hinnom to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I had not commanded them nor had it entered My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin. 36"Now therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning this city of which you say, 'It is given into the hand of the king of Babylon by sword, by famine and by pestilence.'…

Jeremiah 7:31

The Valley of Slaughter
30"For the sons of Judah have done that which is evil in My sight," declares the LORD, "they have set their detestable things in the house which is called by My name, to defile it. 31"They have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, which I did not command, and it did not come into My mind. 32"Therefore, behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when it will no longer be called Topheth, or the valley of the son of Hinnom, but the valley of the Slaughter; for they will bury in Topheth because there is no other place.…

Psalm 106:38
And shed innocent blood, The blood of their sons and their daughters, Whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan; And the land was polluted with the blood.

2 Kings 17:17
Then they made their sons and their daughters pass through the fire, and practiced divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking Him.

2 Kings 23:10
He also defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, that no man might make his son or his daughter pass through the fire for Molech.

Edited by Murphy

OK thanks for your advice everyone

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.33
  • Days Won:  20

19 hours ago, Murphy said:

Murphy,

What's your point?  Taking passages out of context and applying them to Abraham?  That certainly does not help the inquirer.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  3,828
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

20 hours ago, Murphy said:

Major conflict here

Actually, there is no conflict at all.  You have compared things that aren't comparable.  Apples and oranges.

Yes, many pagan people of the Bible burned their babies in fires to appease false gods and yes that was a sin.

God didn't ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac to appease anything - and as you well know, Isaac was never actually killed.

Isaac is a picture that points the way to Christ.  Some people call that a type.  Some call it a shadow.  The whole purpose of asking Abraham to kill his son of the Promise was to point the way to a future where God would give the life of HIS only begotten son for humanity's sake.

Isaac:

• went on a 3-day journey to the mountain
  • was going to be sacrificed on a mountain
  • two men accompanied Abraham and Isaac
  • God provided the ram/lamb
  • Isaac carried his own wood for his own sacrifice
  • the ram was in a thicket of thorns
  • Hebrews says that Abraham was willing to do this because he knew that God would raise Isaac from the dead

Jesus Christ

• was dead for three 3 days
  • was crucified on a mountain
  • two men were with him
  • God provided the Lamb
  • Jesus carried his own cross
  • he wore a thicket/crown of thorns
  • Jesus was raised, by God, from the dead

You are trying to create a contradiction where there is none.  Scripture must be read in context, flowing as a story, and read seeking knowledge and wisdom.