IGNORED

What do you think of Christians getting tattoos?

rethinknow

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, rethinknow.

From a biblical perspective, you've already been told about Leviticus 19:28, but that is indeed from the TANAKH (the OT) as direct commands to the children of Israel. On the other hand, I'm sure that, as a child of Israel and a Jew, Yeshua` (Jesus) would not have had any tatoos.

On a more practical note, tatoos are pretty permanent. They can be removed, but usually not without complications. They also change with time, fading or shifting with the growth of tissue and skin beneath them. Once one has made such a mark in his or her body, there's PRACTICALLY no "undo." I've never known any truth that I would make permanent on my body to advertise to the world. For instance, like most, I used to think that "salvation" is the word that describes one's relationship with God. Today, not so much. I believe the better word is "Justification."

Indeed, I would find it hard "to be all things to all men" with such a mark. Some jobs, for instance, need you to cover your tatoos in order to work there.

There's no sin, however. For a weak Christian to beat another Christian over the head with Leviticus 19:28 is not necessary, and in fact, is PROHIBITED! If there was any "sin" involved, it would be found in attacking a brother or sister about it.

I do not recall beating anyone over the head, in fact I don't know anyone on here who may or may not have a tattoo., and personally I don't care either?

All I recall doing is quoting Scripture where God clearly commands ISRAEL not to cut or mark their skin.

Lev. 19:28, Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

You say there is no sin because this was a commandment of God to Israel. It's wrong we beat Christians over the head reminding Christians of this commandment?

Well maybe if some of us Christians were to prostitute our daughters to be a whores, there is also no sin because this was a commandment of God between Him and Israel?

Lev. 19:29, Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.

Like the old man used to say to me many times, "Haz, Times they are a changing, and that makes it ok!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,588
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On June 6, 2016 at 0:59 AM, RustyAngeL said:

What's wrong with women wearing pants?  I live in jeans, boots and t-shirts in the winter and caprees and flip flops and light blouses in the summer.  I'm just plain, simple and very casual. 

Women and girls here in Florida have pretty much the same wardrobe. Only in the workplace or in church or at a fancy party or a wedding or funeral do you see women in dresses. Even in the workplace, women prefer the pantsuits. Indeed, depending on the location, such as a place with stairs and balconies, the pantsuits are more modest than dresses.

I believe that MODESTY is the key. One can be cool in a t-shirt and jeans if the jeans are baggy enough. I've grown to be "Forever-in-bluejeans," and wear them practically every day. Even have dress jeans for special occasions; so, I know it's possible. I have a good tan because of the kind of work I do these days, but it's a "farmer's tan." I always wear a t-shirt, too, as well as a safety vest, safety prescription glasses, hard hat, steel-toed boots, and occasionally gloves.

At least we don't have to belt up the lower hem of our robes to our waists to make shorts (gird up our loins) like they used to do!

Guest Butero
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, woundeddog said:

Leviticus:19:28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you:

Thank you for posting this.  We are told not to print any marks on our body, which is what someone is doing when they get a tattoo.  I look at it as putting graffiti on the Temple of the Holy Spirit.  It is no different than if I took a can of spray paint and sprayed the picture of a unicorn, butterfly, cross, anything on a church building.  To me it is a sin, but I realize many people have gotten tattoos in ignorance.  I don't think God will hold those things against a Christian, but there is no way I would consider getting a tattoo knowing what the Bible says about printing marks on my body.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Just now, Butero said:

Thank you for posting this.  We are told not to print any marks on our body, which is what someone is doing when they get a tattoo.  I look at it as putting graffiti on the Temple of the Holy Spirit.  It is no different than if I took a can of spray paint and sprayed the picture of a unicorn, butterfly, cross, anything on a church building.  To me it is a sin, but I realize many people have gotten tattoos in ignorance.  I don't think God will hold those things against a Christian, but there is no way I would consider getting a tattoo knowing what the Bible says about printing marks on my body.  

:emot-heartbeat:

Watch Those Haircuts And Those Beard Trimmings Too

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:27-28

And, You Are Welcome

They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh. Leviticus 21:5

Guest Butero
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:59 AM, RustyAngeL said:

What's wrong with women wearing pants?  I live in jeans, boots and t-shirts in the winter and caprees and flip flops and light blouses in the summer.  I'm just plain, simple and very casual. 

The reason why some, including myself, have a problem with it have been repeated many times over.  I see it as women wearing what pertains to a man.  It is no different to me than a man wearing a dress, except society accepts women wearing men's clothing.  I also see it as giving women a masculine appearance.  In 1 Corinthians 6:9, the word effeminate includes a man wearing feminine style clothing, so it is common sense to me that God wouldn't want women wearing clothes that give them a masculine appearance.  Just being able to tell it is a women wearing men's style clothing doesn't make it right.  I can often tell that a man wearing effeminate style clothing is still a man, but he is still in sin.  There is also the issue of placing a stumbling block in front of other women.  There are many women that wear jeans that were manufactured for men specifically because nobody can tell the difference.  It is a sin to place a stumbling block in front of others.  When they fall, you share in their sin.  There are many Independent Baptists that also find it indecent, but that has never been my issue, as I see that as subjective.  Still, it is another reason some object.  They say women should all wear dresses that are not form fitting. 

By the way, what does this have to do with tattoos? 

Guest Butero
1 minute ago, FresnoJoe said:

Watch Those Haircuts And Those Beard Trimmings Too

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:27-28

And, You Are Welcome

They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh. Leviticus 21:5

I would not do that either.  Getting a traditional haircut does not violate that scripture.  People try to use it to defend something that is sinful by claiming any haircut is a violation, but that is not true.  I also keep my hair short as is taught in 1 Corinthians. 

1 minute ago, Butero said:

I would not do that either.  Getting a traditional haircut does not violate that scripture.  People try to use it to defend something that is sinful by claiming any haircut is a violation, but that is not true.  I also keep my hair short as is taught in 1 Corinthians. 

Me Too

The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. John 12:21

Yet None

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20

Of This Makes Me Righteous

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Revelation 3:17-19

For Only Jesus

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Romans 3:21-25

Saves

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 3:26-28

Love, Your Brother Joe

Guest Butero

I have done some looking into the question of rounding the corner of one's beard, and noticed that many Messianic Jews think men should have a beard.  I don't want to just dismiss this, so I will plan to look into it further.  Trying to point to the failures of others doesn't make something ok.  If a man rounds the corner of his beard in violation of scripture, that doesn't make tattoos ok, but following God's standards is important.  If God does want men to have a beard, we should have a beard.  I am not convinced one way or the other, and many churches think men having facial hair is wrong, so this is something I need to examine further. 

We do need to be careful about not trying to justify something as ok to get people off our backs about something we are doing.  If someone points out a fault that is legitimate, like the possibility we are rounding the corner of our beards, we need to consider it.  To Fresno Joe, I was perhaps a bit hasty in giving a quick answer to you.  If I find that God wants me to have a beard, I will plan on growing a beard.  We need to be obedient children. 

Guest Butero
2 minutes ago, FresnoJoe said:

Me Too

The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. John 12:21

Yet None

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20

Of This Makes Me Righteous

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Revelation 3:17-19

For Only Jesus

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Romans 3:21-25

Saves

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 3:26-28

Love, Your Brother Joe

But to simply ignore God's standards and sin so grace may abound is not right either.  We are not saved by keeping the law, but we are to be led of the Holy Spirit, and God's Spirit would not lead us to do things God does not approve of.  Galatians says that if we are led of the Spirit, we are not under the law.  I do not believe for one second God would ever lead anyone to get a tattoo.  People do that to fit in with the modern culture. 

1 minute ago, Butero said:

To Fresno Joe, I was perhaps a bit hasty in giving a quick answer to you.  If I find that God wants me to have a beard, I will plan on growing a beard.  We need to be obedient children. 

Beloved, In My Observation It Depends Upon Where
Your God Given Mission Field Lays

What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
1 Corinthians 1:18-27

And Where Your Heart Is

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:17-20

Love, Your Brother Joe