IGNORED

What do you think of Christians getting tattoos?

rethinknow

Guest Butero

The judgment about the gentiles obviously doesn't mean that if they abstain from pollutions of idols, fornication, things strangled and blood, all is well.  Things like murder and theft aren't even in that list.  Notice what it says in Acts 15:19-21

19  Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God.

20  But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

21  For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day.

Verse 21 is the key to fully understanding this.  It was normal for the Christian believers to meet on Sunday (the Lord's Day) and also go to the synagogue on Saturday (the Sabbath Day).  They were exposed to God's laws in the synagogue.  What was taking place that led to this ruling was there were Jews who came to believe in Jesus who were teaching that in order to be saved, one had to be circumcised and keep even the ceremonial laws.  That is what they were saying wasn't true. 

I don't agree with women in combat, and disagree with Israel having women fighting in the army.  I don't find any Biblical examples of this taking place, and your example was not of a woman in the military.  Every decision made by the Israeli government isn't necessarily correct.  I support them and their right to exist, and will continue to defend them against Muslim acts of terror, but I don't agree with women in combat. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

21 minutes ago, Butero said:

I don't agree with women in combat,

Well of cores you don't. Women in combat would have to wear pants. :laugh:  (I'm only joking I know you don't get my humor sometimes)

Guest Butero
11 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Well of cores you don't. Women in combat would have to wear pants. :laugh:  (I'm only joking I know you don't get my humor sometimes)

:) You are right Lady Kay about my not always getting your humor, and since I use sarcasm a lot myself, I really should.  We all need to have a sense of humor.  :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On May 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM, bopeep1909 said:

Welcome to Worthy :)

The NT really does not address if a believer should get a tattoo. If you go by the OT then you are being legalistic. 1 Corinthians 10:31 we need to take a look at this verse. A Christian should pray before getting a tattoo and wait for God's answer. Is it necessary? Why?. Of course it would be better to get a cross or a Christian theme rather than a flaming skeleton.

Wow. I guess Paul, Peter, John Baptist, James, Jude and Jesus Christ were far too legalistic to heap upon to Ezek. 11, 36 or Jeremias 31 concerning the new covenant and testament. The law says, Lev. 19.28, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord", Authorized King James Bible.

Mt. 5.17, 18 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled". 

Lk. 16.17, "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail".

Jn. 10.35, 36 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

What strange days live we in where a Christian would call his Lord a "legalist", an excessive adherence to law, such as the Pharisees, scribes, lawyers or Herodians and Sadducees, whose traditions of the elders nullified Moses, Mk. 7.9.

Tattoos require shedding of blood and cutting of the flesh to print an image, an idol, onto the skin. Ponder Hosea 4.6, Deut. 5.6-9. 

Edited by Sovran Grace Baptist

5 hours ago, Sovran Grace Baptist said:

What strange days live we in where a Christian would call his Lord a "legalist",

This is a strong arm statement More like "if you disagree with me you are disagreeing with God" type of statement.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On June 13, 2016 at 10:48 PM, LadyKay said:

This is a strong arm statement More like "if you disagree with me you are disagreeing with God" type of statement.

That's a logical fallacy. You know, Christians reputiaded by other Christian professors is abomination; see Prov. 17.15 Authorized King James Bible. 

Do you have a problem with the harmony of the grace of Christ Jesus by His law in harmony with the mosaic law? Consider Article 12 of the 1833 New Hampshire Confession. For the scriptural proof texts, you can download the portable document format file from TheBaptistpage.net. 

"We believe that the Law of God is the eternal and unchangeable rule of his moral government (62); that it is holy, just, and good (63); and that the inability which the Scriptures ascribe to fallen men to fulfill its precepts arises entirely from their love of sin (64); to deliver them from which, and to restore them through a Mediator to unfeigned obedience to the holy Law, is one great end of the Gospel, and of the means of grace connected with the establishment of the visible Church (65)".

Moreover, why did you ignore the scriptures? That's perplexing.

Edited by Sovran Grace Baptist

1 hour ago, Sovran Grace Baptist said:

Consider Article 12 of the 1833 New Hampshire Confession. For the scriptural proof texts, you can download the portable document format file from TheBaptistpage.net. 

What on earth are you talking about?

Moreover, why did you ignore the scriptures? That's perplexing.

I didn't ignore scripture. I do disagree with your interpretation of it. As I stated in earlier comments on this topic.

I will like to address this to everyone here. I highly respect the views of others regarding tattoos or other such topics. If you feel it is wrong for you then it is wrong for you. But what I do become annoyed with is people who can not accept other people disagreeing with them so they start accusing that person of "ignoring scripture" or not even being saved. Ect ect ect!  We all come from different parts of the world, different backgrounds and different  upbringings. This accusing of others of being less of a Christian because they interpret a passage of scripture differently then you needs to stop. I must remind myself of these things as well from time to time. Because I am just as guilty as anyone else to get carried away with a topic. I will try to do better. Thank you that is all.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

hmm

His eyes are like blazing fire, and on His head are many crowns.
He has a name written on Him that no one knows but He himself.

(Revelation 19:12) 

On His robe and on His thigh He has this name written: King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
(Revelation 19:16) 

This one will say, ‘I am the LORD’s,’
another will call on the name of Jacob,
and another will write on his hand, ‘The LORD’s,’
and name himself by the name of Israel.

(Isaiah 44:5) 

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands
(Isaiah 49:16) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

16 minutes ago, post said:

This one will say, ‘I am the LORD’s,’
another will call on the name of Jacob,
and another will write on his hand, ‘The LORD’s,’
and name himself by the name of Israel.

(Isaiah 44:5) 

i was really just putting these so we would think about them and consider it -- 
not "exegeting" ((as i've been 'accused' of doing by merely stating scripture, lol)) 

but now that i am reading this, and thinking, and reading more -- 

i kinda want to go get a tattoo on my hand that says : 

שייך ליהוה

which means in modern Hebrew, "belonging to YHWH" 
what do you think? 
would that be heresy, or worshiping Jah in spirit and in truth? 
presenting my body as a living sacrifice, which is my spiritual act of worship?  

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

And yet not all tattoos are like the ones previously posted... Some are very, very different:

79b893a1779c794a1971c7f8db4fb569.jpg

c7d5468daebf6e5916d9903e5216885e.jpg

d96d077a2e333beb5ea1445a75dbca01.jpg

God bless,

GE