IGNORED

What do you think of Christians getting tattoos?

rethinknow

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

On 6/13/2016 at 5:20 PM, Sovran Grace Baptist said:

Wow. I guess Paul, Peter, John Baptist, James, Jude and Jesus Christ were far too legalistic to heap upon to Ezek. 11, 36 or Jeremias 31 concerning the new covenant and testament. The law says, Lev. 19.28, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord", Authorized King James Bible.

Mt. 5.17, 18 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled". 

Lk. 16.17, "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail".

Jn. 10.35, 36 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

What strange days live we in where a Christian would call his Lord a "legalist", an excessive adherence to law, such as the Pharisees, scribes, lawyers or Herodians and Sadducees, whose traditions of the elders nullified Moses, Mk. 7.9.

Tattoos require shedding of blood and cutting of the flesh to print an image, an idol, onto the skin. Ponder Hosea 4.6, Deut. 5.6-9. 

The law says we should stone people for adultery and for being an unruly child.  When you start doing that then come talk to me about tattoos. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Butero
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

The law says we should stone people for adultery and for being an unruly child.  When you start doing that then come talk to me about tattoos. 

In Israel, the law of Moses was the law of the land, and as such, it required punishment for people that transgressed it.  Those were the punishments for committing adultery and for cursing Father and Mother in that nation.  The moral laws of God still remain to this day, but other nations are not required to carry out the same penalties.  We could, and that would be just fine, but we choose not to in America.  This was never speaking of vigilantes, so your argument doesn't hold any weight.  If this nation wants to return to stoning people for committing adultery and children for cursing their parents, I am fine with it, so does that mean we can begin a conversation on tattoos? 

5 hours ago, Butero said:

In Israel, the law of Moses was the law of the land, and as such, it required punishment for people that transgressed it.  Those were the punishments for committing adultery and for cursing Father and Mother in that nation.  The moral laws of God still remain to this day, but other nations are not required to carry out the same penalties.  We could, and that would be just fine, but we choose not to in America.  This was never speaking of vigilantes, so your argument doesn't hold any weight.  If this nation wants to return to stoning people for committing adultery and children for cursing their parents, I am fine with it, so does that mean we can begin a conversation on tattoos? 

It has to to with the conversation on tattoos because they are examples of people cherry picking from the Old Testament verses they want to follow today, while saying the rest "do not apply".

edit test 

Edited by Out of the Shadows

Guest Butero
2 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

It has to to with the conversation on tattoos because they are examples of people cherry picking from the Old Testament verses they want to follow today, while saying the rest "do not apply".

edit test 

It is not about cherry picking.  The reason why we follow some things that are in the Old Testament and not all is because some still apply and some do not.  The penalties can most certainly be put in place by a nation if they wish, but they don't have to.  Then there is the issue of types of laws.  There were three types of laws in the law of Moses.  1.  Laws pertaining to the office of the Levitical Priesthood.  They were never designed to continue after the cross.  They were temporary.  2.  Law of separation.  These were things that symbolically showed Israel was separate from the idol worshipping gentile nations around them, and it included things like circumcision and not mixing two materials in a single garment.  They don't apply today because the gentiles are included in the plan of salvation.  3.  Moral laws.  These are eternal.  They are laws that if broken, defile a person in the eyes of God because they make a man or woman unclean.  They do matter today.  It is not about simply choosing to cherry pick laws one likes.  There is a reason some matter today and others do not. 

Guest Teditis

I don't think that tattooing is a "moral" law given to the Israelites... it would be more of

a law to separate them from gentiles.

Guest Butero
2 minutes ago, Teditis said:

I don't think that tattooing is a "moral" law given to the Israelites... it would be more of

a law to separate them from gentiles.

If that is how you see, more power to you.  I just know that scripture tells me not to print marks on my body.  It costs money.  I have no reason for paying someone to put ink under my skin.  I find tattoos ugly, even the most creative ones.  I also believe (and this is a personal view) that the inspiration behind tattoos is from Satan to destroy our natural God-given image.  If you can receive it, fine, and if not, that is fine too.  Sometimes God shows one individual something he doesn't reveal to everyone. 

1 hour ago, Butero said:

If that is how you see, more power to you.  I just know that scripture tells me not to print marks on my body.  It costs money.  I have no reason for paying someone to put ink under my skin.  I find tattoos ugly, even the most creative ones.  I also believe (and this is a personal view) that the inspiration behind tattoos is from Satan to destroy our natural God-given image.  If you can receive it, fine, and if not, that is fine too.  Sometimes God shows one individual something he doesn't reveal to everyone. 

Teditis shows the weakness in Old Testament rules being broken into your three categories, people still get to cherry pick which go into which category. 

Guest Butero
11 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Teditis shows the weakness in Old Testament rules being broken into your three categories, people still get to cherry pick which go into which category. 

It is not a question of strength or weakness.  It is the way it is.  I don't agree with Teditis.  I believe the prohibition on tattoos is a moral law, but there is no use arguing with him over something like because there is no way I can convince him.  Only God can do that. 

Guest Butero
10 hours ago, Davida said:

I totally get this Butero.  Nice to read your posts brother in Christ!

Thank you, and it is nice to see you back. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Acts  21:25

As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

does  this verse cover tattoos