IGNORED

Should a person who is openly homosexual be baptized?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

18 minutes ago, hmbld said:

My first reaction was in agreement with you. However, how many have read the bible at this stage?  Some maybe have.  Yet, I wonder, who has received Jesus as their Savior, who is not living in sin?  Sin is sin.  Who gets baptized but waits until they do not sin in anger?  Who waits to be perfected before being baptized?  

These are good questions. It's true sin is sin in God's eyes. What is sin? 

Sin is described in the Bible as transgression of the law of God (see an example 1 John 3:4) and rebellion against God (some examples include Deuteronomy 9:7; Joshua 1:18). 

While God does view sin all the same the consequences for sin are different. If someone kills another person they will likely face jail time and possibly even a death sentence. This is a severe punishment for sin. If the same person hates his neighbor it could lead to arguments, frustration, hurt, and broken relationships. 

Jesus died to pay the penalty for sin (1 John 2:2). Jesus died for all of our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Are all sins equal to God? Yes and no. In severity? No. In penalty? Yes. In forgivability? Yes.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

1 minute ago, GoldenEagle said:

These are good questions. It's true sin is sin in God's eyes. What is sin? 

Sin is described in the Bible as transgression of the law of God (see an example 1 John 3:4) and rebellion against God (some examples include Deuteronomy 9:7; Joshua 1:18). 

While God does view sin all the same the consequences for sin are different. If someone kills another person they will likely face jail time and possibly even a death sentence. This is a severe punishment for sin. If the same person hates his neighbor it could lead to arguments, frustration, hurt, and broken relationships. 

Jesus died to pay the penalty for sin (1 John 2:2). Jesus died for all of our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Are all sins equal to God? Yes and no. In severity? No. In penalty? Yes. In forgivability? Yes.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

Where as I personally question how sincere a man could be if he refuses to address and accept what the bible says about homosexuality, I know the bible calls for baptism after coming to believe, not after being perfected.  

Just now, Thallasa said:

I have decided to leave this site permanently after this harrassment . No point in answering ,I am gone .

I will answer in hopes you come back, I don't know how asking was harassment, but I am sorry I have offended you.  I truly am here to learn and am willing to listen.  

Guest Thallasa
1 minute ago, hmbld said:

Where as I personally question how sincere a man could be if he refuses to address and accept what the bible says about homosexuality, I know the bible calls for baptism after coming to believe, not after being perfected.  

Goodbye . I have been harrased twice in the lst two days for very civilly saying I do not believe in SSM ,and now you .

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

Should a person who is openly homosexual be baptized?

Came across this question and thought I'd run it by the Worthy family. My initial thoughts are no. I'll have to dig into Scripture to better form a position.

God bless,

GE

No, Baptism is for believers.  One cannot be openly gay and be a genuine, New Testament follower of Christ.

1 minute ago, Thallasa said:

Goodbye . I have been harrased twice in the lst two days for very civilly saying I do not believe in SSM ,and now you .

Is this a misunderstanding? The bible is clearly against same sex marriage,(if that is what ssm means), and so am I.  

Guest shiloh357
10 minutes ago, hmbld said:

So, there are levels of sin?  Which ones are serious that need to be checked before one is baptized?

Homosexuality is open rebellion against God.  If one is STILL openly homosexual after purporting to have been saved, there is a problem.  It means that one is unrepentant of that sin, and is still in open rebellion.   It is one thing to struggle with desires; it is another to continue openly practicing what God calls an abomination, while at the same time claiming to be saved.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

26 minutes ago, hmbld said:

My first reaction was in agreement with you. However, how many have read the bible at this stage?  Some maybe have.  Yet, I wonder, who has received Jesus as their Savior, who is not living in sin?  Sin is sin.  Who gets baptized but waits until they do not sin in anger?  Who waits to be perfected before being baptized?  

One of the first things a person should do when they are looking at becoming a born again believer in Jesus Christ and when they receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior is to read God's Word. We are not perfect by any means as born again Christians but we should know God's Word and know that we are to be salt and light of this world and produce fruit. Being sinners does not include doing as we please just because we are a Christian and are saved. That is mocking God. That certainly does not include being a homosexual.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

Homosexuality is open rebellion against God.  If one is STILL openly homosexual after purporting to have been saved, there is a problem.  It means that one is unrepentant of that sin, and is still in open rebellion.   It is one thing to struggle with desires; it is another to continue openly practicing what God calls an abomination, while at the same time claiming to be saved.

I am in agreement, however, my point was about how people do come to believe, yet have a lot of learning, and even on the homosexuality topic, the world is actively deceiving many people, and whole churches now.  

• Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

17 minutes ago, hmbld said:

I could very well be mistaken about a lot of things, one of the reasons I participate here, so I can learn.  Does all sin need to be addressed before baptism, or only homosexuality?

15 minutes ago, Thallasa said:

No of course not ,but this is a very serious one where people are openly proud of what they do  .

The word “openly” to me is problematic. But in effect the word “openly” takes us into an entirely different arena.

I can imagine people being baptized with all sorts of moral issues, past failures, and even current struggles. We are all broken and in need of redemption through Jesus. If we wait to baptize perfect people, we’ll never baptize anyone.

That said, local churches that oppose the homosexual lifestyle will have to deal with it in their midst. Sometimes even among their leaders. This is simply stating an obvious fact. Sin happens and sin, by its very nature, is deceptive. Adultery, gossip, corruption, pride, abusers, etc. happens in churches all over the world. This is not an isolated occurrence in the USA, Brazil, or any other country.

It is true that the attitude of the heart matters a great deal. But since only God knows the thoughts and intents of the heart, we are left with words and deeds. Even there we can be fooled. But in this case, no one is trying to fool anyone.

A person who is “openly” homosexual could be argued to be lacking in repentance, and yet repentance is clearly the prerequisite for baptism (see for example Acts 2:38).

What do you guys think?

God bless

GE