• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

10 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Why are you making this into a race issue?

He probably thinks blacks are more vocal during church meetings, but that ain't necessarily so.  You should not be getting sensitive about it either, since it is true that black services are quite different from the mainstream.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

When I was a kid, I would spend summer in Kentucky. My mamaw went to an Old Regular Baptist church. The church had about five different pastors who would take turns preaching. When the congregation thought a pastor should step down and let the next pastor preach, they would start singing. If that pastor kept preaching they would sing louder until he knew he was suppose to sit down and let the next pastor preach. This was explain to me before the service by my cousins because they knew it was different.  It was perfectly acceptable by everyone there. Which made it acceptable to do.  I bring this up to show that it all depends on the cultural as to what is acceptable to do and what is not.  The church I attend now, if the congregation would start singing while he was preaching, he would know what to do. Because it is not part of the culture. So this is why I think that this person shouldn't be interrupting that pastor. Because it is not part of the culture.

And it gave me a chance to tell you all about my mamaw and her church. :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

48 minutes ago, Ezra said:

He probably thinks blacks are more vocal during church meetings, but that ain't necessarily so.  You should not be getting sensitive about it either, since it is true that black services are quite different from the mainstream.

he probably grew up attending a zion methodist church that was predominantly african american, and has some first-hand experience in the cultural differences that Qnts2 mentioned, and doesn't consider pointing out some high statistical likelihoods based on sociological inference to be "making this a race issue" but further highlighting and emphasizing the point that Qnts2 made. 

he probably actually anticipated LadyKay's response, too -- if you read the last sentence of that post, where he said "if you think this is a racist comment . . " and made another sociologically determined statistical likelihood estimator that serves both as a preemptive statement guarding against wrongly interpreting his intent to be "making this a race issue" and a 'case-in-point' further illustrating the aspect of this discussion that the person he was responding to had brought to bear. 

he probably actually anticipated LadyKay's response, too

I seriously did not understand what "race" had to do with my post? Perhaps if you would have explain why you brought "race" into it I would have understood. But when you say stuff like "I guess your white and all your friends are white" well that makes me sound like I am some kind of racist who only has white friends and no understanding of other cultures. So since I thought I was being accused of being a racist I became very  upset because I despise racism and I believe it to be the worst kind of evil. I get into arguments with racist people and can not tolerate to be around them.  So yeah, when I thought you were accusing me of being a racist I became upset. Thus my response. Does that make sense? 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

On 7/14/2016 at 7:43 PM, LadyKay said:

I seriously did not understand what "race" had to do with my post? Perhaps if you would have explain why you brought "race" into it I would have understood. But when you say stuff like "I guess your white and all your friends are white" well that makes me sound like I am some kind of racist who only has white friends and no understanding of other cultures. So since I thought I was being accused of being a racist I became very  upset because I despise racism and I believe it to be the worst kind of evil. I get into arguments with racist people and can not tolerate to be around them.  So yeah, when I thought you were accusing me of being a racist I became upset. Thus my response. Does that make sense? 

yeah, sure it makes sense. but i wasn't accusing you of being racist. 
i was agreeing with Qnts2, and commenting on the cultural difference between predominantly 'white' churches in America, which are typically very reserved, and in which you might expect a person to blush if they so much as sneeze, with predominantly 'black' churches, in which response from the congregation is more commonly both expected and encouraged, and is not limited to an occasional "amen!" 

i thought about this, and about the few responses who went so far as to say the guy is brain damaged or on drugs, and i thought -- yeah, there is probably a bit of cultural clash going on here. 

i don't know what it is really like in your church, Kay. i don't know what the man's intention is and whether it is wrong or not. i don't think it would bother me, unless i thought he was saying things that were false. i think you should maybe talk to the one preaching, and see what he thinks, and to the man himself, and see where he's coming from. i doubt it's his 'intention' to disrupt the preaching. but what do i know? i only know your personal reaction. 

does that make sense? 

i think the much more interesting thing here is what Willa brought out -- how this issue brings up the larger issue of how different our services are from what we see described by Paul when he writes about keeping meetings orderly. 
and i think, wow, i wish that everyone would get themselves involved in smaller, less formal groups. because i think that is where the church really starts to function as the church, and we all begin to be used to build each other up and edify each other, and the body really starts operating as a body -- a living one, not a paralyzed one with a single running monologue. 

not that your issue is a 'non-issue' -- it's not; if it's distracting you, then it's probably affecting others too, and maybe many of you need to learn something about involvement and internalizing, and he needs to learn something about restraint. 
i think if i was the one speaking, i would consider it a blessing to have solid evidence that at least one person listening is actually paying attention and following along! 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't like it.  I'm honestly surprised the pastor hasn't spoken to him about this.  I would think the pastor may lose his/her train of thought with interruptions.  The other thing is if one person talks that allows everyone to talk and you don't need a room of parishioners running the service.  If this guy wants to help out he should do so in a different way, for example if it's a Catholic church help with communion or help run a church committee or something.

i don't know what the man's intention is and whether it is wrong or not. i don't think it would bother me, unless i thought he was saying things that were false.

I don't think he has any bad intentions. I think he just does not think that it could be see has rude. He has been doing this for sometime now and to tell the truth it has not really bothered me until last Sunday. I do not know why it just struck me to think that he shouldn't be interrupting.  It may have been that the sermon was one that was hitting home with me and I was so focused on what the pastor was saying in with my own thoughts, that when he spoke out like that it threw my thoughts off track. I think maybe it has been made to sound like more of a big deal then what it is. I know the guy is not brain damaged and he is not on drugs. I think he feels he is adding insight to what the pastor is saying.  Oh and we do encourage people to shout out an Amen whenever they feel the need too!

Guest Butero
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, LadyKay said:

There is this guy at my church who interrupts the pastor's sermon. Not in a bad way. I mean he isn't disagreeing with the pastor. He just adds to what the pastor is saying. For example the pastor was being very serious as he was preaching a very serious sermon. The pastor was telling us that we should be praying for our town. That our town was in need of prayer. Just then this guy yells out  saying "If you don't think this town needs prayer just look at the drug problem that we have!"  It's like that. Like he is adding his own words to the pastor's sermon. It is a bit distracting and I just don't think he should be interrupting the pastor's sermon. There is a time when it is acceptable to speak up and to share your thoughts about things. Like in testimonies or prayer request. But when I am at church I want to hear what the pastor has to say, not what this guy has to say. Well anyway for the most part I haven't thought too much about it when it happens. But today it kind of bugged me when it happen as I was really trying to pay attention to what the pastor was saying when this guy yelled out adding his own thoughts to the pastor's sermon. As if he was trying to explain what the pastor was saying to the rest of us.  I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor. But then I can be a bit critical at times so perhaps that is what I am being. Critical. But what do you all think of this? Would you be a bit annoyed by it?  Or am I just being critical?

It depends on the church and the order that they set.  In any church I have been part of, such conduct would be considered out of order.  Someone in leadership should probably have a talk with the guy in private about it, not in a mean way, but just to let him know that they have a set order for the service, and such interruptions are not acceptable. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

13 hours ago, Butero said:

such interruptions are not acceptable. 

Not just in a church meeting or worship service but at any time.  That's just common courtesy (or has courtesy become uncommon?)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,141
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

3 hours ago, Davida said:

The problem is , the above scripture is nothing like what Lady K said this guy was doing, he is just interrupting the Pastors Teaching much the same as someone will rudely interject in conversation while someone else is speaking instead of patiently listening. I take the attitude that the Holy Spirit has called this man to preach and that the Holy Spirit might have a message of personal significance to me so I listen with respect.

"Ex cathedra is a Latin phrase, meaning not "from the cathedral," but "from the chair." The phrase does have religious origins though: it was originally applied to decisions made by Popes from their thrones. According to Roman Catholic doctrine, a Pope speaking ex cathedra on issues of faith or morals is infallible. In general use, the phrase has come to be used with regard to statements made by people in positions of authority, and it is often used ironically to describe someone speaking with overbearing or unwarranted self-certainty."  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ex cathedra

This is the tradition of most churches today, wherein people presume that the pastor has a message from God that is not-to-be-questioned. No debate, no discussion, no questions from the pews, period. Sit down and shut up, because  your pastor is the infallible mediator between the congregation and God, and your pastor is presumed to speak from the pulpit with an authorized message from God. This is nothing but the spirit of papism on a local level.

1 Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus...

Yes, the man Lady K spoke of is perhaps out of line; however, the pastor is much more out of line for promoting a manner of fellowship that did not originate with the Apostolic Church, but rather from the traditions of men seeking to exalt their authority over others. Paul described the order of assembly in 1 Cor. 14, and those churches that fail to follow in that manner of fellowship should not be supported. However, churchianity today is more about attending a weekly show than it is about a brotherly participatory fellowship that requires dedication and patience and study from each member of the body. That type of fellowship engendered a true spirit of agape, which is notably absent in nearly all the church assemblies of our time:

Rev. 2:2 I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. ...4 “Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first agape.