• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

The problem is that unless one has some actual training, they are very hard to tell apart.  I do not think being able to preach a sermon gives a person any sort of insight needed to counsel people on any sort of mental issue.

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

and writing pop psychology books for $$$ ?

I do not know what you are trying to say

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Look up the authors bios on Amazon.

Dr. Cloud is a leadership consultant, best-selling author, and speaker whose books have sold well over 5 million copies. He consults and speaks for companies and organizations in the area of leadership and performance, and is highly regarded for his ability to connect personal and interpersonal development with the needs of business.

He is a graduate of Southern Methodist University, earning a B.S. in psychology with honors. He completed his Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Biola University, and his clinical internship at Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health. His philanthropic interests lie in the area of homelessness and the inner city, as well as missions in the developing world. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Tori, and their two daughters, Olivia and Lucy.

Seems this author is more than just a writer of pop psychology. He had at least a decade of education. :noidea: 

I would think this author is significantly qualified to speak on the subject matter. A lot more so than someone who simply preaches sermons. Just my 2 cents of course.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, Yowm said:

This is what I saw...

in any case I didn't think it took all those credentials to learn and teach someone else to say 'no'. :)

You might be amazed how hard it is for some people to say no. 

Just now, Yowm said:

Apparently, seeing the book is a best seller. LOL

It is a very real thing, despite the fact you find it funny.  Be glad it is not a problem for you.

Just now, Yowm said:

Because I laugh, you assume it is not a problem for me? Just ask my wife how hard it is for me to say 'no' at times.

Yep, that is correct. 

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

This is what I saw...

in any case I didn't think it took all those credentials to learn and teach someone else to say 'no'. :)

You might be amazed how hard it is for some people to say no. 

Yorm, once again I agree with Out of the Shadows I don't think we should mike light of people's struggles. There are proper ways and improper ways of saying no. Sometimes people say yes to the bad and others no to the good. Learning how to say no is a process. Funny enough chapter 3 covers this topic.

God bless,

GE

But trying to get back on track... the subject of this thread is boundaries. :) 

Law #2 The Law of Responsibility

The Law of Responsibility says “You are responsible for yourself, I am responsible for myself.”

But this law also includes loving others. We are to love one another, not be one another.

In fact, the commandment to love is the entire law for Christians (Galatians 5: 13-14; and KJV version here).

Any time you do not love others, you are not taking full responsibility for yourself; you have disowned your own heart or identity in Christ. (Mark 12:31; John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:7, 20; Romans 13:8-10; and KJV version here)

What does Jesus teach in John 15:12? (and KJV version here)

What Biblical direction for personal growth do you find in Philippians 2:12-13? (and KJV version here)

Questions for consideration:

1. Why do people tend to take on responsibilities for other people?
  2. Anytime we take responsibility for someone, we are creating infants. How does that make you feel? Why is it so hard to face the reality of that statement?
  3. Is there a relationship/responsibility in your life that you need to reevaluate in light of the two questions in this section?

Any thoughts on the second law? (Kind of funny for people to ask about the book then not respond when information is provided.)

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Hiya Marilyn! :) 

I totally agree that God must be first in our life. For the one who believes God should be in the driver's seat. Sometimes I forget that and try to take back control of my life. The Holy Spirit is in each of us. He is our guide and Helper.

This doesn't mean thought that we will all believe the exact same thing. We can still have unity though! Beautiful isn't it?

I wonder if you'd share how the book (or concept of boundaries) has helped or given insight with the people you relate to?

God bless,

GE

Hi Golden Eagle,

Yes I can certainly share how the thoughts in the book helped my friend`s daughter in her marriage. (both are Christians) `S` is very kind & caring while her husband `T` is very needy having emotionally difficulties. They have only been married for a couple of years but the strain of constantly giving to her husband`s repeated calls is wearing `S` down. As she read through the book & with her parents help she began to identify the areas that she needed to address. Step by step she began to learn the difference between actually helping & carrying her husband, when really he needed an opportunity to grow.

It also took a separation for a few months to give `S` a rest & for `T` to start to grow up & receive mentoring by another Christian. It is now 10 years later & they have two children & their relationship is much better, much healthier as each gives to the other & not just taking all the time.

I personally believe that Christians who have a very caring personality often think that they have to always be helping & assisting others. This is a wrong understanding of Christian love, I believe. We need to give others room to grow & not be at their beck & call.

regards, Marilyn.    

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Now you are talking my language!  Rush is in my top 3 all time bands.

Is Rush a secular or Christian Rock band?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

8 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

This right here is why untrained pastors should not be doing any counseling, they believe things like this.

So if they were to become disciples of Sigmund Freud or Carl Jung, they would be properly trained? Or would they become trained seals?

5 hours ago, Yowm said:

When did I make light of people's struggles? Maybe my approach would be different, e.g. refer them to a qualified pastor before a psychiatrist.

What would make the pastor "qualified"?